Kings Article: Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti Talks LA Kings and the 2016 Draft

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Frozen Royalty begins its coverage of the Los Angeles Kings and the 2016 National Hockey League Draft with exclusive comments Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti on what the Kings' thought process going into the draft is, along with what they might be looking at (no specifics, sorry!).

This is the first story in a series covering the Kings and the draft, so stay tuned for more between now and June 24, when the first round of the 2016 Draft is scheduled!

Director of Amateur Scouting Mark Yanetti Talks LA Kings and the 2016 Draft

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Wonder which pick he's referencing when having to learn from bad mistakes. Teubert? Hickey? ...Forbort?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Wonder which pick he's referencing when having to learn from bad mistakes. Teubert? Hickey? ...Forbort?

I'm sure Teubert is on that list. Didn't Lombardi fess up to picking Joey Ryan ahead of Lucic when they actually had Lucic ranked higher too? The organization was desperate for d-men at that point.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
I'm sure Teubert is on that list. Didn't Lombardi fess up to picking Joey Ryan ahead of Lucic when they actually had Lucic ranked higher too? The organization was desperate for d-men at that point.

I can't reveal what he said about that, but Forbort isn't considered a mistake and neither is Hickey. In fact, he spoke of Hickey. That'll be in another story. Using deductive reasoning, you have to figure that it's Teubert. But nothing confirmed.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I can't reveal what he said about that, but Forbort isn't considered a mistake and neither is Hickey. In fact, he spoke of Hickey. That'll be in another story. Using deductive reasoning, you have to figure that it's Teubert. But nothing confirmed.

That would have been my assumption as well. I doubt they regret Hickey. He took a while to develop, but turned into a solid defender and it is not like the Alzner is some all-star knockout defender. Forbort will likely follow the same path, but Teubert was off the rails and they clearly went after him because Lombardi and the organization valued his intangibles more than what he brought as an actual player.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014

Lombardi just a couple weeks ago while talking about Forbort compared him starting his NHL career at around 23 to Scuderi and then playing 14 years. I doubt he'd say that if he thought it was a mistake.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I wonder who could move from Ontario?

Kempe, Dowd, Mersch seem ticketed to LA.

Amadio probably has value in the eyes of other gms.

Brodzinski? Gravel? Forbort?

Moving one or two of the big club players seems more likely.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I wonder who could move from Ontario?

Kempe, Dowd, Mersch seem ticketed to LA.

Amadio probably has value in the eyes of other gms.

Brodzinski? Gravel? Forbort?

Moving one or two of the big club players seems more likely.

We know who the 5 guys are and we have been talking about them all offseason. It is...

Forbort, Mersch, Gravel, Dowd, and Kempe. I'm guessing those first 4 guys make the Kings to start the year and Kempe will be the last cut of training camp.

The next group of guys that will fight for a call up next season will be...Auger (comes up due to injury), Brodzinski, LaDue. With Cernak, Amadio and Watson the following year pushing for playing time.

I see that Lintuniemi, Ebert, Lowry, and Leslie could be getting moved for picks this year.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Cheers

I think Lintuniemi will be giving a chance to really show improvement before shipping him off.

Lowry is interesting, his brother has done well in Winnipeg.

Ebert and Leslie seem expendable but do they have any value?

If I'm a gm from another team I want Kempe/Amadio/Cernak.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
"Results bordering on tragic" is a fantastic line, haha.

Thank you Gann, that was great!

Yet if we talk about those blown picks, we're called negative and overly critical.

Good to see the organization is aware of its mistakes and owns up to it. Hopefully they don't repeat them and stop with the nonsensical high selections of rigid defense prospects who have little upside.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yet if we talk about those blown picks, we're called negative and overly critical.

Good to see the organization is aware of its mistakes and owns up to it. Hopefully they don't repeat them and stop with the nonsensical high selections of rigid defense prospects who have little upside.

Not selecting Tarasenko or Kuznetsov still irks the crap out of me...
However the 3 kids I'm most eager to see with the Kings are
Adrian Kempe-has a little Adam Deadmarsh to his game
Michael Amadio-seems like a taller, stronger Mike Richards
Nikolai Prokhorkin-( this might never happen unfortunately)

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Kings amateur scouting and development system hasn't drafted or developed a full time NHL defenseman since the 2008 draft.

That's pretty remarkable.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Kings amateur scouting and development system hasn't drafted or developed a full time NHL defenseman since the 2008 draft.

That's pretty remarkable.

Amart and Slava say hello

Amart - drafted 07, played at MAN from 08-11, full time with LA in 11
Slava - drafted 08, played at MAN from 08-12, full time with LA in 12

both guys came up through the system, so not sure what you are using as a determining factor

it appears they also have Forbort and Gravel ready to make the jump. along with the likes of Lintuniemi and others a few years behind.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Amart and Slava say hello

Amart - drafted 07, played at MAN from 08-11, full time with LA in 11
Slava - drafted 08, played at MAN from 08-12, full time with LA in 12

both guys came up through the system, so not sure what you are using as a determining factor

it appears they also have Forbort and Gravel ready to make the jump. along with the likes of Lintuniemi and others a few years behind.

I don't see how his statement is incorrect. The examples you provided supports the poster you quoted. The Kings haven't drafted a full time NHL defenseman since 2008.

But Gravel certainly does give us hope towards next season. Forbort is a long shot, as is Lintuniemi.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't see how his statement is incorrect. The examples you provided supports the poster you quoted. The Kings haven't drafted a full time NHL defenseman since 2008.

But Gravel certainly does give us hope towards next season. Forbort is a long shot, as is Lintuniemi.

Given how slow the Kings like to move players in, along with winning, it's not really surprising. In the last 5 drafts, the Kings have only had 5 picks inside the top 50, one of which was wasted on Gibson at 49. Between limited opportunity and questionable choices there's not much in the system.

What was impressive was drafting Doughty, Voynov, Hickey, and Martinez in two years. I doubt we see that again for a long time.

I'm also happy about Gravel. I don't think Forbort will even amount to anything more than bottom pairing (which is fine), but maybe the org. sees something more in him. I'm hoping Ladue follows the Gravel path and shows some top 4 promise.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It's a factual statement but I don't think it's a fair criticism given how those guys contributed to cups and on a Cup-WCF-Cup team there are pretty limited spots to give to rookie d-men. Guys in the system had to get through some combination of stud offensive/two way d-men or legendary stay at homers. And on top of that, our best prospects have been in college thru those years. And on top of THAT, those guys look like they're going to step into the lineup this year. So criticizing the org for no NHL dmen developed in those years is disingenuous imo when the current crop of d-men were quite possibly some of the best ever assembled for a short period.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The 5 guys are Dowd, Gravel, Forbort, Mersch , Auger. Not Kempe . I think Kempe spends another year in Ontario.

Auger has similar numbers to Nolan and Andreoff when they graduated

- Kopitar-Gaborik
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Mersch-Shore/Dowd-Brown
Andreoff-Shore/Dowd-Auger
Nolan

Move Clifford and King for picks. Clifford shouldn't be getting close to 2 million for 4th line.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The 5 guys are Dowd, Gravel, Forbort, Mersch , Auger. Not Kempe . I think Kempe spends another year in Ontario.

Auger has similar numbers to Nolan and Andreoff when they graduated

- Kopitar-Gaborik
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Mersch-Shore/Dowd-Brown
Andreoff-Shore/Dowd-Auger
Nolan

Move Clifford and King for picks. Clifford shouldn't be getting close to 2 million for 4th line.

The interview Gann posted suggests Auger isn't ready but he's come a long way and is a legit NHL prospect rather than just a project. But not an NHLer.

I'd be leery of plugging him into a role he's not ready for, this board is already going to execute a bunch of young players for mistakes next year since a lot of the regular whipping boys will be gone

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
How many times was it stated that the Kings didn't have a 1st round pick.

The conspirator in me thinks somethings amiss. :squint:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

'Need for position' felt like he was alluding to Hickey and 'need for toughness' felt like he was alluding to Teubert. Yannetti was brought in after the 2006 Draft, so I don't know he'd have direct knowledge about what the Kings list was like that year.

Where did you see the Ryan/Lucic thing out of curiosity? Dean was hired two months before the 2006 Draft, so I'm not sure how much input he really had, especially since he was doing pro scouting for the Flyers before that.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tragic is a very good adjective to describe the Colten Tuebert pick. From the trade(s) to get in that position, to who they passed on, tragic fits.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
'Need for position' felt like he was alluding to Hickey and 'need for toughness' felt like he was alluding to Teubert. Yannetti was brought in after the 2006 Draft, so I don't know he'd have direct knowledge about what the Kings list was like that year.

Where did you see the Ryan/Lucic thing out of curiosity? Dean was hired two months before the 2006 Draft, so I'm not sure how much input he really had, especially since he was doing pro scouting for the Flyers before that.

Hickey is not considered to be a mistake. Current staff knows all about what happened throughout Lombardi's tenure, and even prior to that. They have all the records and notes.

Keep in mind that Lombardi had to trust the existing scouting staff in his first draft with the Kings...

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
The interview Gann posted suggests Auger isn't ready but he's come a long way and is a legit NHL prospect rather than just a project. But not an NHLer.

I'd be leery of plugging him into a role he's not ready for, this board is already going to execute a bunch of young players for mistakes next year since a lot of the regular whipping boys will be gone

He's not ready YET. Don't read anything else into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad