Director of Amateur Scouting John Lilley moves to the Rangers

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That is a pretty big blow, but I guess he is getting a promotion.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Unless there is an external candidate we are looking at, I imagine Head Scout Tim Speltz is next in line to replace Lilley.

Reactions: stickty111

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Thank Goodness, it’s time for a change, he’s been here for a while. Maybe we start looking at Major Junior players again! Ahaha just kidding, it will be nice to have someone fresh and bring in a new era of Toronto Maple Leafs Drafting/Scouting

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Good luck to him! I'm sure he'll do well in the new promotion.

I am looking forward to who will take over the Director of Amateur Scouting. It's such an important role.

EDIT: On the Leafs website, Tim Speltz is already listed as Head Amateur Scout, seems likely he takes over.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Good luck to him! I'm sure he'll do well in the new promotion.

I am looking forward to who will take over the Head of Amateur Scouting. It's such an important role.

EDIT: On the Leafs website, Tim Speltz is already listed as Head Amateur Scout.

I think he becomes director now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Drafting results for the last few years remains to be seen

Looking at the progression of the picks is all we can do, and so far they have been great.

Are we allowed to speculate who will be a good team next year based on results from former years or do we just assume Buffalo has as good of a chance as Tampa?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Interesting. I think he has been with the club since 2006 and originally he was the Leafs top US scout so not a lot of his discoveries made an impact. Greg Pateryn perhaps but he was traded without playing for the organization. Tyler Biggs may have been his guy :) I am neutral to his moving on. He was promoted after the 2018 draft so we don't know how his 2019+ drafts turned out except he loves him some Euros. Good luck to him.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looking at the progression of the picks is all we can do, and so far they have been great.

Are we allowed to speculate who will be a good team next year based on results from former years or do we just assume Buffalo has as good of a chance as Tampa?

The age old method of draft evaluation is to wait and see before declaring a victory. Because we aren’t drafting for WJC success, good Liiga numbers and OHL records but NHL players that actually contribute one day.

Many of our bust picks from the dark ages also passed these milestones and even further in development before tailing off.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nobody cares if that's what screws it up. The draft is to give an NHL pipeline.
I care. I wouldn't blame the scouts if Greg Moore screwing the Marlies is the reason for stalled development. All the scouts can do is find the best players available in their position on draft day, which it looks like they've done a fairly good job

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I care. I wouldn't blame the scouts if Greg Moore screwing the Marlies is the reason for stalled development. All the scouts can do is find the best players available in their position on draft day, which it looks like they've done a fairly good job
You'll never know if it's developments fault or if the player simply didn't have it in them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad