Direction this team is heading

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Buddy, if he was j staal or landeskog-like or even lite then he likely wouldn't of been on the board at 21.
OP is right in a sense, drafting a hopeful 3c @ #21 makes no sense when your able to get one of the best 3c in hockey today for #51, just doesn't make sense.

The last time a draft was this deep Corey Perry went 28th overall, Shea Weber was picked in the 2nd round. Gauthier - rated the best defensive forward in the entire draft - was picked 21st. A 17 year old who when all is said and done could be a 6'7 230lbs mammoth was a stellar defensive game, he may be one of those 30pts guys but he'll be on our number 1 pk unit and go to the net, or maybe he'll never make the NHL? or maybe his work ethic will see him become a 20-goal giant-Patrice Bergeron type? We'll have to wait and see, but he's got all the tools to be an important NHL player - and a 2nd line center.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I can't believe this hasn't been said...
It's not like we just traded away a bunch of picks for some run of the mill third line center. We just acquired quite possibly the best third line center in the game.

If he is the best third line center in the game, I have an inkling Chicago would have kept him.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The last time a draft was this deep Corey Perry went 28th overall, Shea Weber was picked in the 2nd round. Gauthier - rated the best defensive forward in the entire draft - was picked 21st. A 17 year old who when all is said and done could be a 6'7 230lbs mammoth was a stellar defensive game, he may be one of those 30pts guys but he'll be on our number 1 pk unit and go to the net, or maybe he'll never make the NHL? or maybe his work ethic will see him become a 20-goal giant-Patrice Bergeron type? We'll have to wait and see, but he's got all the tools to be an important NHL player - and a 2nd line center.

bold+move+cotton.jpg

"It's a bold move Cotton, lets see how it plays out for them"

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
My read on this and concern

#1 We our going to be letting assets leave without getting any prospects or picks back
Bozak Mac

#2 We have surplus assets to deal and could have gotten additional picks but choose not too
Liles

#3 We have player upgrades we need to do TBD can Nonis deal a Phaneuf for a top C. Can Nonis deal Gabo for assets back...Would Nonis offer sheet Pietro....

#4 If we do not use our compliance buyouts to take on a contract and garner some free assets or offer sheet a great asset we need from a team against the cap when we have been gifted all of this cap room in a tight cap year. These will be enormous wasted oppurtunities...I am not so sure Burke was not planning on acting on these, Nonis jury is out

1- The time to trade Bozak/Mac was at the t/d when they had value not after the season when everyone knows they'll be ufa's . This being said Nonis wasn't going to deal them while we were in a playoff spot .

2- Overpriced vets with term on there deals have negative value . No ones going to take JML/Grabo without giving back similar type players/contracts .

3 - DP isn't worth a top C

4- The league already stepped in and told teams the compliance b/o were only for there own players .

What cap space are you talking about ? We're going to have to use at least one of our buyouts just to resign our own guys never mind trying to take advantage of other teams . Burke left a mess by resigning JML/Grabo and now Nonis has to deal with it .

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
This place never gets old, seriously. Always finding ways to complain.

When Toronto has a 4-1 lead again with 10 minutes to go, you'll be thankful that Bolland is on the team because he'll be the guy out there preserving that lead.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
Personally I like the direction this team is finally heading. From Burke to Nonis I see a game plan. Being a tad on the older side this reminds me of the early 70's when we were drafting a nucleus.Sittler,lanny,turnball,palmateer,tiger,.we brought from Sweden Salming. Those key members surprised alot of people in 1978.
The eighties were a black hole..Except for Vaive 50 goals and Clarke drafted.Nineties we were buying our way into contention and out of trouble...But draft shhmaft...

Now fast forward.....reimer, gunnerson,kulemin,kadri,reilly,finn,percy,leivo,biggs,gauthier drafted............Jvr,lupel,kessel,phaneuf,bernier,bolland brought in....These are all young players. Add a 1c and another top d and hmmmm.Easier said then done...But overall I like the direction, hey took Boston seven games and had them on the ropes.Who would have thought that not so long ago..
This thread also seems to have slipped into our newest additions in Bolland and Gauthier.
Gauthier I like at 21.Big kid 2-way player ,thats what wins.Six foot five 207, nice size to have up the middle if he pans out. Craig Button had him at 23 I think, so its not like we went off the board on this one.
Bolland for picks, I like also..He is a 2 time stanley cup winner.On a STANLEY CUP winning team he is a bonafide 3c at 3.5 mil at 27 yrs old..If he is our 3c then we should have a cup contender :).Would he not be higher in our organization ?? We are not Chicago. A 3/4c of Bolland and Mcclement should have RC smiling.
Overall our contract management ie: cap, expiring are in good shape. Of course Komi, bought out = np, Liles?? = assest, Grabo = needs bounce back year at 2c.
Hold on leaf fans for these are going to be the best times for i have seen the darkest and these are not those :)
So in recap lol I like the direction.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The extent to which some fans value draft picks is mind boggling.

No, I'm not advocating trading all our draft picks, but all this hand-wringing is tiring. Life's too short.

MrLegend28*

leafs big problem = centre/goal/d
leafs address = centre/goal

leafs fans = WHY DID WE TRADE PICKS TO HELP ADDRESS ISSUES!?!?!

logic = none

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Kadri, Rielly, Finn all skilled guys. Percy a two-way intelligent D. Biggs and Gauthier are really the only two players that fit your criticism.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'm thrilled with the trades nonis has made, I like the direction the NHL roster is moving, drafting/scouting is a different matter. Bolland and Bernier are big time upgrades on their current roster placeholders (scrivens/Bozak) and all we gave up is a couple 2nds and Matt frattin who we have lots of similar players in the system. Liles and grabbo have value & either will be on the opening night roster or moved for low picks.

pulkinator

Jun 11, 2008
Toronto
leafs big problem = centre/goal/d
leafs address = centre/goal

leafs fans = WHY DID WE TRADE PICKS TO HELP ADDRESS ISSUES!?!?!

logic = none

I think addressing a top line center was more of something we needed to address. Which Bolland is not and our draft picks won't be for some time.

tans66

Sep 11, 2009
Toronto,Ontario
For one to address a 1c one needs to be aquired , drafted or in a deal. One would have to be available. If a 1c cannot be attained for one reason or other, they are very difficult to get after all. If not available in trade, since a team would have to want to trade their number 1 away. Whole alot of teams doing that. Or one available in the draft.Drafting 21 doesnt give you a Crosby like pedigree.It can but alot of things have to go very well .Does that mean one should not upgrade at any other position in the time being??? Hmmmmm

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Personally I like the direction this team is finally heading. From Burke to Nonis I see a game plan. Being a tad on the older side this reminds me of the early 70's when we were drafting a nucleus.Sittler,lanny,turnball,palmateer,tiger,.we brought from Sweden Salming. Those key members surprised alot of people in 1978.The eighties were a black hole..Except for Vaive 50 goals and Clarke drafted.Nineties we were buying our way into contention and out of trouble...But draft shhmaft...

Now fast forward.....reimer, gunnerson,kulemin,kadri,reilly,finn,percy,leivo,biggs,gauthier drafted............Jvr,lupel,kessel,phaneuf,bernier,bolland brought in....These are all young players. Add a 1c and another top d and hmmmm.Easier said then done...But overall I like the direction, hey took Boston seven games and had them on the ropes.Who would have thought that not so long ago..
This thread also seems to have slipped into our newest additions in Bolland and Gauthier.
Gauthier I like at 21.Big kid 2-way player ,thats what wins.Six foot five 207, nice size to have up the middle if he pans out. Craig Button had him at 23 I think, so its not like we went off the board on this one.
Bolland for picks, I like also..He is a 2 time stanley cup winner.On a STANLEY CUP winning team he is a bonafide 3c at 3.5 mil at 27 yrs old..If he is our 3c then we should have a cup contender :).Would he not be higher in our organization ?? We are not Chicago. A 3/4c of Bolland and Mcclement should have RC smiling.
Overall our contract management ie: cap, expiring are in good shape. Of course Komi, bought out = np, Liles?? = assest, Grabo = needs bounce back year at 2c.
Hold on leaf fans for these are going to be the best times for i have seen the darkest and these are not those :)
So in recap lol I like the direction.

How does this team remind you of the 70's ? That team had a legit num 1 c/d/g . This team is loaded on the wings and has holes in the rest of the line up .

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
You don't need to hoard every single last one of your draft picks. Bolland was a solid acquisition and one we especially needed given how Bozak is probably headed out the door.

I honestly don't care about any draft pick we trade that's lower than a 2nd rounder.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This place never gets old, seriously. Always finding ways to complain.

When Toronto has a 4-1 lead again with 10 minutes to go, you'll be thankful that Bolland is on the team because he'll be the guy out there preserving that lead.

Trying to address the issues at center ice, if it wasn't clear that it was a problem in the playoffs.

Bozak wasn't in the line-up he was injured, and was playing injured.

Injuries happen, we can't rewrite history and say Bolland would have made the difference any more than we could say a player actually under contract and better at face-offs wouldn't have.

Boland isn't known for being the most healthy player.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Solid start but the larger acquisitions are a must to consider this off season successful:

Top Six Center
Top Four Defenceman (or two pending the Phanuef situation)
Top Nine Power Forward

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
So we've traded 3 picks for a 3rd line centre, drafted a 3rd line centre in the 1st round, and I feel the majority of the picks (although I really loved our 7th pick) were pretty meh picks, likely to be a 3rd line guy kind of guy.

I kind of find it weird we're trading a lot of picks for a 3rd line centre, we should be signing those or developing our own, not trading so much for one.

Also I feel our draft strategy in the last few years is a little rough. I do not feel as though the team is really going for any higher end skill guys. Quite honestly I feel as though the team is has enough 2-way grinder type of players in the system now and we should go for some boom/bust type picks.

I do think we do well drafting defenseman and we're well stocked but Dave Morrison did a great job helping build up our cupboards but he doesn't really take any chance on higher end skill guys.

Anyways kind of ranting and wondering out loud the direction this team is taking. What do you guys think? Are we taking short cuts again trading picks/youth for quick fixes? Are you happy with our draft picks?

Were no longer trading 1st rd picks for 33 year old players...

3rd and 4th rd picks are okay to trade... we havent unloaded 300 of them or anything.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Sometimes I think people on here fail to see the bigger picture because it ruins their ability to complain and be unhappy with just about everything.

The Leafs are most shallow at the centre position. Sure, we still lack a #1 C but what are the chances that you find that #1 C in the second or fourth rounds? I would say very unlikely. And with the possibility of losing your main centre, and the uncertainty of signing a centre via UFA or knowing what kind of realistic options you have at trading for a #1 C, the Leafs instead , with a young and experienced guy that brings some depth to a pretty shallow position on the team. Why is this a bad thing? The trade doesn't make the Leafs bonafide Cup contenders but they're still adding the right kind of pieces needed to be competitive and build towards a contender. These things don't happen overnight and I'm sure draft picks don't just fall from the sky so you need to upgrade wherever you can when you can.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
I think addressing a top line center was more of something we needed to address. Which Bolland is not and our draft picks won't be for some time.

The funny thing is how its July 1st, and were making judgments on the team, as if Nonis has concluded his offseason work.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the present roster as we see it will look in some way shape or form different opening night.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Yeah - why can't Nonis sit down one sunday afternoon and completely build a contender like I do on my XBox? Doesn't he know all you have to do is draft a guy with three or more stars for "potential" and put him on your first line? I mean c'mon!!!

:sarcasm::help:

Count Von Grabo*

Tbh I love the direction of the team.

Some really good players we have that'll be good now and in the future: Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Lupul. On the blueline: Rielly, Gardiner, Franson. And Bernier and Reimer is perhaps the best goaltending situation we've had. Cujo and Eddie were great, but were a lot older. I really think we're a few pieces away from something special.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The funny thing is how its July 1st, and were making judgments on the team, as if Nonis has concluded his offseason work.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the present roster as we see it will look in some way shape or form different opening night.

Yep, Nonis is going to get a 1st. line center and a top 4 d-man.

And it will be said he overpaid for same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad