Direction this team is heading

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Had the Leafs given up what the Isles dealt for Clutterbuck, then you could whine all you want.... But two 4th and a 2nd, big deal...

Seriously, Dahlstrom, and two 4ths

I don't get what there is to complain about?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
the 51st pick...

2012 - Dalton Thrower
2011 - Alex Ruutu
2010 - Calle Jarnkrok
2009 - Brian Dumoulin

If you list all the players 51-61 [late 2nd rounders] over last two decades very few play in the NHL.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It's going in a great direction. Here's what acquiring Bolland allows:

1. It allows Grabovski to become a scoring forward again. He was bottlenecked into being a shut down center last year, and that went poorly. He's much better when used offensively. Bolland can take those shut down responsibilities.

2. It takes some of the weight off of McClement. Gives us 3 very dependable PKers up front: McClement, Bolland, Kulemin. Carlyle likes Bolland for a reason.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Our day (especially Gauthier and Bolland) was pretty much universally well recieved around the NHL. And as per usual, somebody has found a way to hate it.

I dont know what I expected.:laugh:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...players_prospects_and_a_new_approach_cox.html

Bolland’s acquisition on draft day by GM Dave Nonis is clear evidence that Nonis and head coach Randy Carlyle are precisely on the same page when it comes to the type of team both want to put on the ice, and that’s good.

You already knew that when Nonis brought in Frazer McLaren at Carlyle’s suggestion last season to make the Leafs tougher and moved out a group of unproductive veterans. Now, adding a centre with sandpaper who can do for Carlyle what Samuel Pahlsson did in 2007 for that Carlyle-coached Anaheim team that won it all is more proof.

Given that Brian Burke and Ron Wilson never were on the same wavelength, this is a step forward for the organization.

The acquisition of Bolland during one of the most interesting drafts in recent memory — kudos to Florida for being gutsy with that No. 2 pick — was also the latest move from Nonis in the post-season that suggests he may be able to do something that has eluded previous Leaf GMs, and that’s use futures and prospects to get immediate help without totally abandoning stocking the talent cupboard for down the road.

So Jonathan Bernier was acquired for backup goalie Ben Scrivens, a good young winger in Matt Frattin and a second-round pick in either 2014 or 2015. Bolland became a Leaf for three picks, basically a second-rounder and two fourths.

But while those players were added, and the picks do add up, Nonis took care not to touch his first-rounder, and so still added a prime prospect in monster centre Frederic Gauthier, precisely the position at which the Leafs very much need depth.

The challenges for Nonis, meanwhile, are now twofold.

First, with about $16 million (U.S.) to spend on about 10 players, he’s still got to re-do Bernier’s deal and find the cash to either re-sign Tyler Bozak or somebody who can play the role Bozak plays as Phil Kessel’s centre. Spending a chunk to lure David Clarkson looks unlikely now without moving more money first.

Second, the Leaf GM now manages a payroll that has Kessel, Dion Phaneuf and Bolland all set to become unrestricted free agents after next season. That could get tricky.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So we've traded 3 picks for a 3rd line centre, drafted a 3rd line centre in the 1st round, and I feel the majority of the picks (although I really loved our 7th pick) were pretty meh picks, likely to be a 3rd line guy kind of guy.

I kind of find it weird we're trading a lot of picks for a 3rd line centre, we should be signing those or developing our own, not trading so much for one.

Also I feel our draft strategy in the last few years is a little rough. I do not feel as though the team is really going for any higher end skill guys. Quite honestly I feel as though the team is has enough 2-way grinder type of players in the system now and we should go for some boom/bust type picks.

I do think we do well drafting defenseman and we're well stocked but Dave Morrison did a great job helping build up our cupboards but he doesn't really take any chance on higher end skill guys.

Anyways kind of ranting and wondering out loud the direction this team is taking. What do you guys think? Are we taking short cuts again trading picks/youth for quick fixes? Are you happy with our draft picks?

I think Nonis better be making the playoffs at the very least or him and his crew are going to ALL face the music.

The Leafs completely half assed their rebuild and are now using bandaids to cover up what should have been our own drafted and developed players in key roles.

I mean if you look around the league....in the time Sundin left....nearly every team has found a star center. No excuse really.

Nonis even said it today....championship teams are built up the middle, on defence, and with goaltending...

Geee buddy, did you just figure that out now or did you know that before you built an entire team around wingers?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Was not surprised when they took Gauthier and was extremely pleasantly surprised when they traded for Bolland.

Gauthier looks like a good pick at the #21 spot and he fits in with the mentality that the organization is striving for. Same thing happened when people were complaining about Biggs, he's going to be one of those character guys that a team just needs.

Everyone thinks that all 3rd and 4th liners are all the same, they're not. Look at Boston, what kind of 3rd and 4th liners do they have. Having those key role players are a big piece to the puzzle and something people overlook way too often. Bolland just won a cup utilizing his role and he's coming over to the Leafs to play the same role in the 3rd centre position.

You have the skilled guys that we have in Kessel, Kadri, Lupul, JVR and Grabo.
Bolland, Biggs, Gauthier and McClement are those glue guys that bring the team together and make it easier for the skilled guys.

Love the way the team is changing it's identity and hope they continue to do so.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Nonis paid a full retail price for Bolland, it wasn't a great value trade but it does make the Leafs a better team giving us a lot of much needed championship experience.

One thing I hate though is trading the 2nd round picks. They are a good way of getting a second crack at some first rounders who have slipped, aka Matt Finn, and teams like Ottawa and Detroit use them to great effect and can really boost the talent level in the organization.

I'd also appreciate it if the Leafs would go after those Anthony Duclair type offensive prospects in the skill department as well as going to Europe a little earlier than they tend to. More Andreas Johnson type picks like today, earlier and more often.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The team plays with 2 shut down lines and two scoring lines

Having Bolland and Mac as our 3/4 centers are the perfect fit for this team and play the style randy loves.

This will also allow Garbo to not have to play the 3rd line shutdown role anymore and lets him either free to play more offensive or be traded.

Our first overall pick is the best 2 way center in the draft.....this doesnt make him a 3rd line player, think J.Stall or Landeskog. Great in their own end and above average offence. Perfect 2nd line center/ top 6 forward

Buddy, if he was j staal or landeskog-like or even lite then he likely wouldn't of been on the board at 21.
OP is right in a sense, drafting a hopeful 3c @ #21 makes no sense when your able to get one of the best 3c in hockey today for #51, just doesn't make sense.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
WTF are you talking about . I have no problem with the pick but he's no where close to being the best 2 way c in the draft and he's not close to the prospect Stall or Landeskog were .

I have no idea why some fans have to blow there brains out with over the top projections as soon as we draft a kid .

It goes both ways. Some are claiming he's the best two way centre in the draft and some think he's the next David Steckel. 99% of these people haven't seen him play a game in the Q, so I think everyone should take their imaginary scouting hats off and just give the damn kid some time to prove himself. This fanbase makes me want to puke sometimes.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think Nonis better be making the playoffs at the very least or him and his crew are going to ALL face the music.

The Leafs completely half assed their rebuild and are now using bandaids to cover up what should have been our own drafted and developed players in key roles.

I mean if you look around the league....in the time Sundin left....nearly every team has found a star center. No excuse really.

Nonis even said it today....championship teams are built up the middle, on defence, and with goaltending...

Geee buddy, did you just figure that out now or did you know that before you built an entire team around wingers?

Nonis didn't have full control under Burke though, and the other seasons he wasn't here he has nothing to do with. He's basically just started for himself and for the most part, he's been true to his mandate.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Funny how the mentality of our fans can change like the wind. One day the Leafs have so many dmen on the team and in the system and need centremen instead, but tonight we need dmen and shouldn't be picking a centre. I know everyone doesn't share the same feelings, but still this is pretty typical of our fans. There are some people who can't be pleased no matter what happens.

I mentioned it in another thread and I will say it again...I didn't know much of anybody after the top 10, but I love what I have heard about Gauthier and how he is a 2-way centre (the best in the draft), and still has decent scoring abilities. If there is one kind of forward I love having, it's one that has a defensive mind too. Look at how much McClement alone improved the team. It would be nice to have that kind of player on the second line down the road who can rack up a few more points too.

GilmourClarkScores

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The direction this team is headed is up and it quietly has been for a few years. If you believed we would leave draft day today with a center picked from the top 10 you are delusional. It would have cost us Gardiner minimum or a deal would have been done. Scoring is not our problem at the moment. Love the pick Nonis made for a skilled, 2 way centerman with size.

You don't win Cups without guys like Bolland on your team. Fantastic deal. If anything his experience rubs off on what was the 2nd youngest team in the NHL last season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
the 51st pick...

2012 - Dalton Thrower
2011 - Alex Ruutu
2010 - Calle Jarnkrok
2009 - Brian Dumoulin

If you list all the players 51-61 [late 2nd rounders] over last two decades very few play in the NHL.

If you're trying to justify trading the pick, those are some bad names to be throwing around... :laugh:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Looking at Toronto's centers last year, I see Grabovski, Bozak and Kadri, none of whom really fit that 3rd line center, shut-down quality player criteria.

So while Toronto did just trade for Bolland (3rd line center) and draft Gauthier, who likely projects to be a a 3rd line center, what I find more surprising is not the activity of the 2013 draft, but of the 2011 draft.

At that time, the centers moving forward were also Kadri, Bozak and Grabovski. If a 3rd line center was really as desperately needed as today's activities indicate (and I am in favor of today's moves strengthening that position), I am more surprised that the move was made trade away picks to move up to pick a 3rd line RW in Tyler Biggs at 22, when 3rd line centers (such as Jenner etc) were available in that range.

Essentially, I am surprised moves such as today's were not made sooner.

I still do not know what Toronto's center depth projects to be for next season, but regardless, Bolland adds a player type they did not have until today. I do not know where he will fit, but Bolland is one of the best players in the league at his position/role, so it is hard not to be at least intrigued.

I would guess not picking Jenner and getting Biggs instead would fall under the "not letting current needs dictating the player being drafted" mantra. Which, IMO is pretty stupid, especially because during that portion of the draft, the gaps between player ability wasn't so large. I hope that they didn't get Biggs because Detroit would have gotten him.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The players you draft near the top of the draft should not be an indication of where the team's going. You go BPA and get the player who will bring the most beneficial impact to your organization. If they happen to fix one of your team's needs great... if they don't, then trade them at their highest value.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The direction this team is headed is up and it quietly has been for a few years. If you believed we would leave draft day today with a center picked from the top 10 you are delusional. It would have cost us Gardiner minimum or a deal would have been done. Scoring is not our problem at the moment. Love the pick Nonis made for a skilled, 2 way centerman with size.

You don't win Cups without guys like Bolland on your team. Fantastic deal. If anything his experience rubs off on what was the 2nd youngest team in the NHL last season.
You also don't win them without n franchise 1c's and a top D pairing. Why are we getting excited over cattle when there's still the top end of the line up to figure out. They need a 1c a 2nd line winger and a top pairing D. We end up with 2 3c's instead.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is a win now team.

A grade has to be based on where you pick. If Nonnis had drafted in the top 5 he had a great draft today,so he drafted 21st. I think we got 2(Gautier/Bolland) players today,so I give it a C plus or 6 to maybe 7 tops. It is hard to judge as those picks may never amount to squat. I would rather have Bolland than anyone we drafted in the 2nd for a long while.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
As per usual, you can't grade a draft until years down the road.

The message that I got from the Leafs this year in the early rounds is that they will go with safe, responsible players that understand all zones and have room to grow offensively. That is the best thing that you can look for in a prospect.

The toughest part when you draft a "project" type player is to teach a specific facet of the game that is lacking. Usually the toughest area to teach is how to be responsible defensively when you're a young forward. Most players don't really make defence a priority.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think one thing to realize, is that the Leafs weren't really poised to have a great draft anyways. They had their allocation of picks, and were 21st overall. At that level, you're not going to get a high end offensive talent who's anything close to a safe bet.

As for Bolland, a proper 3rd line centre is something that was a definite need for the team. Grabovski is horribly miscast in the role, and Bolland is probably top 5 in it. He makes $3.4m, and represents a $2.1m savings on Grabo in that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad