Speculation: Dion Phaneuf

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Eklund's now reporting that we are going after Phaneuf... lol. Please no.

I'm starting to think he just makes stuff up.

Yzerman likely called his old pal Shanahan about getting together for a game of golf and Eklund translated that into TB INTERESTED IN DION PHANEUF.

ADD: After watching the video, the amount and the craziness of the speculation discredits it on its own. Wow. They also not once mentioned TB's cap situation, and are talking about us taking on at least 7m without figuring out how the hell we make room for it.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm starting to think he just makes stuff up.

Yzerman likely called his old pal Shanahan about getting together for a game of golf and Eklund translated that into TB INTERESTED IN DION PHANEUF.

Any single report a team being interested in someone means nothing 99% of the time. Yzerman checking in on what other GMs are looking for for player X =/= TB interested in player X. Yzerman is simply doing his job and guys like Eklund are doing all they can to generate buzz and hits. That's it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We will see I just don't think steve yzerman is done. I don't know the details but people say it's getting ugly in Winnipeg with Kane. Kane has not demanded a trade but when asked does he want to be a jet he ignored that question. This smell like a seguin thing like in Boston where people in Winnipeg I think want Kane out. Will we get him who really knows ? But I still think steve yzerman makes more moves! The lightning have been in a lot of trade rumors of late! In terms of cap room steve has dumped money before he can do it again if needed.

He dumped money and then spent more to upgrade the holes he created in the roster. Our D looks a lot worse if we move Brewer for money, forget about Carle. We can't replace those guys right now.

We're in "trade rumors" because Yzerman's probably checking player prices. I mean, there are Phaneuf to TB rumors right now.

It's also not a good sign that things have soured between Kane and Winnipeg. That doesn't sound like the kind of guy we would want in a very young locker room.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He dumped money and then spent more to upgrade the holes he created in the roster. Our D looks a lot worse if we move Brewer for money, forget about Carle. We can't replace those guys right now.

We're in "trade rumors" because Yzerman's probably checking player prices. I mean, there are Phaneuf to TB rumors right now.

It's also not a good sign that things have soured between Kane and Winnipeg. That doesn't sound like the kind of guy we would want in a very young locker room.

I dont know the last thing. I havent heard or saw kane be a locker room issue. Even when he was scratched he handled it better than most imho.

I want guys with fire he has that. No one is going to get along with everyone all the time. I have had people tell me connolly has an attitude problem from the beginning where he made a mistake and cooper jumped him. These things happen. What I can say is YOU ALWAYS HAVE A SCAPEGOAT

IE :::: Teddy Purcell?

Sometimes you just got to move on when you choose a scapegoat. Sometimes you just burn bridges. Not saying we did with Teddy though. Just making a point.

I think is over 50% at camp beginning evander kane is not a jet. We will see if they fix the bridge or even want to. I do not think he cares for the coach too much kinda like IE::: fippula ?? babcock??

We will see what we will see. I dont see us going after phaneuf to me that is odd. Gardiner would make sense maybe. Maybe if move garrison for phaneuf.

Hell I am for him coming as long as his wife can sit behind cooper every game on the bench!! lmao

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Eklund's now reporting that we are going after Phaneuf... lol. Please no.

Video: ...
Wow tried to watch this but extremely boring. I'm not sure if I ever watched anything more boring. hahaha

But saying this I love whoever wants to post any Lightning news, clips, anything and I will thank you and it doesn't matter if its boring. I would rather look over the material and all material and move on. (its just a comment) It does not mean you should not have posted that. I hope I'm clear.

And thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I dont know the last thing. I havent heard or saw kane be a locker room issue. Even when he was scratched he handled it better than most imho.

I want guys with fire he has that. No one is going to get along with everyone all the time. I have had people tell me connolly has an attitude problem from the beginning where he made a mistake and cooper jumped him. These things happen. What I can say is YOU ALWAYS HAVE A SCAPEGOAT

IE :::: Teddy Purcell?

Sometimes you just got to move on when you choose a scapegoat. Sometimes you just burn bridges. Not saying we did with Teddy though. Just making a point.

I think is over 50% at camp beginning evander kane is not a jet. We will see if they fix the bridge or even want to. I do not think he cares for the coach too much kinda like IE::: fippula ?? babcock??

We will see what we will see. I dont see us going after phaneuf to me that is odd. Gardiner would make sense maybe. Maybe if move garrison for phaneuf.

Hell I am for him coming as long as his wife can sit behind cooper every game on the bench!! lmao
I think the guy they dump is Matt carle for dion. But I really doubt we get dion but with yzerman you never really know. Now evander Kane I can see that he can skate with drouin or stamkos! Something is going on we have been linked to many trade rumors of late. If he wants dion I got to think he has a team interested in Matt carle for a draft pick. I think shanny is looking to dump money for the leafs build up with kids for a bit. So I guess steve and shanny talked about there plans going forward. But interesting eklund did say it's dion and another player going to tampa in the rumor! Unknown what's going back to the leafs but you got to dump brewer and carle to make this work who knows.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Wow tried to watch this but extremely boring. I'm not sure if I ever watched anything more boring. hahaha

But saying this I love whoever wants to post any Lightning news, clips, anything and I will thank you and it doesn't matter if its boring. I would rather look over the material and all material and move on. (its just a comment) It does not mean you should not have posted that. I hope I'm clear.

And thank you

Not only was it boring, it was flat out stupid. In 10 minutes these idiots suggested Stamkos or Drouin being involved around a deal for Phaneuf, Hedman being a #3 or #4 defender and that we should move the team if Stamkos ever leaves.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Not only was it boring, it was flat out stupid. In 10 minutes these idiots suggested Stamkos or Drouin being involved around a deal for Phaneuf, Hedman being a #3 or #4 defender and that we should move the team if Stamkos ever leaves.

And not to impressed by the talent on the air when one of those guys, in the first few minutes, couldn't think of the name DROUIN.

what's with that?????????????????

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya I'd guess it's Matt carle and are first round pick or a prospect for dion lol it's not gonna be Hedman drouin or stamkos wake up! Yzerman is one of the best gms in hockey! This is not Brian Lawton hockey buzz guys!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And not to impressed by the talent on the air when one of those guys, in the first few minutes, couldn't think of the name DROUIN.

what's with that?????????????????
I mean if they want drouin fine I get it everyone wants drouin! But they would really have to make a huge offer! Drouin is not moving for a 29 year old dion lol. Why not do bret Connolly and carle for dion if you are the leafs! That would be a start!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I see no way in hell Yzerman makes a trade for Phaneuf. Dude's contract is an albatross and Yzerman already had to deal with one of those. No way he trades pieces for a slightly above average defenseman with 8 years and 56 million to go. Honestly not much of an upgrade over Carle.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I see no way in hell Yzerman makes a trade for Phaneuf. Dude's contract is an albatross and Yzerman already had to deal with one of those. No way he trades pieces for a slightly above average defenseman with 8 years and 56 million to go. Honestly not much of an upgrade over Carle.

I really don't know him enough to say my opinion.

But what I will say is if anyone is a first pairing defenseman I don't care what his contract is just do it.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
2 things. 1. Why are we believeng Eklund? The guy sucks. Never trust anything he says, ever. How he is still credible in the hockey universe is truly, beyond me.

2. Phaneuf now? Yeah, right. He's on a great contract, that Yzerman would love.

Our team is set I think. Kane would be nice, but there are rumblings of personality issues that I don't think Yzerman would be a fan of. He's a good hockey player though. Phaneuf... just, no. He's good too, but that contract... yuck. Plus, we're pretty set. This team looks good.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
2 things. 1. Why are we believeng Eklund? The guy sucks. Never trust anything he says, ever. How he is still credible in the hockey universe is truly, beyond me.

2. Phaneuf now? Yeah, right. He's on a great contract, that Yzerman would love.

Our team is set I think. Kane would be nice, but there are rumblings of personality issues that I don't think Yzerman would be a fan of. He's a good hockey player though. Phaneuf... just, no. He's good too, but that contract... yuck. Plus, we're pretty set. This team looks good.

I'd take phaneuf over Matt carle for sure but no way the leafs take carle. Yzerman would take evander Kane for sure! Seguin had issues but yzerman still wanted him from boston.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I'd take phaneuf over Matt carle for sure but no way the leafs take carle. Yzerman would take evander Kane for sure! Seguin had issues but yzerman still wanted him from boston.

I'd say Phaneuf isn't that much better than Carle. He's better, but not worth his contract. I'll keep Carle.

And said who? Eklund? I don't remember Yzerman being interested in Seguin. Yzerman might take Kane, but it's a matter of affording him, and whether or not he sees him, personality-wise, as a fit for this team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'd say Phaneuf isn't that much better than Carle. He's better, but not worth his contract. I'll keep Carle.

And said who? Eklund? I don't remember Yzerman being interested in Seguin. Yzerman might take Kane, but it's a matter of affording him, and whether or not he sees him, personality-wise, as a fit for this team.
We had interest in seguin but yzerman backed off he knew he had flipper from the wings.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Phaneuf is way better than Carle, both are overpaid, at least one guy is able to dominate a game when he's on, Matt Carle on a good night is invisible at best, both are pretty brutal on their off nights but at least Phaneuf can be a differance maker.

Bedford Bolt

Nov 2, 2013
UK

No thanks to phaneuf, that contract will look horrific at the end and we already have that with cally.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd have very mixed emotions with a Phaneuf for Carle trade. Phaneuf is one of my favorite non-bolts and a massive physical upgrade over Carle. That contract looks so toxic though, and we would be stuck with it for 7 years. Carle's contract ends when Koekkoek's contract starts...that looks like the safe route that Yzerman is going with

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Phaneuf is way better than Carle, both are overpaid, at least one guy is able to dominate a game when he's on, Matt Carle on a good night is invisible at best, both are pretty brutal on their off nights but at least Phaneuf can be a differance maker.

You guys need to realize the special situation Carle was in last season. Given a lack of alternatives Carle was used as our #1 defensive defenseman (see player usage chart, TOI/G etc.). That's not his role. In 2012-13 Hedman and Salo did the heavy lifting defensively. Hedman was finally let off the leash offensively while Salo was a shell of his former self. Carle's work load (qualitatively) increased even more when Gudas started looking gassed half-way into the season.

I would bet we will see a much improved and offensively more involved Carle next season because Stralman will provide some much needed relief defensively. It will limit Carle's defensive role a bit and allow him to focus on his strengths again (same thing happened with Brewer last season).

All that said, Phaneuf is arguably the better player of the two or at least gives us a physical presence and provide leadership we could definitely need. What gives me headaches is the contract Phaneuf is on. If SFY can somehow manage for the Leafs to retain some of his salary it might work. But what's the incentive for them to do that?

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
if saying IF we had to do a deal and I just finally watched the video and cant take the main board. It is humorous though:)

IF we have to do something with phaneuf is a second guy so figure Kadri who was mentioned

so dion and kadri?

for carle brewer (cap dump) killorn and our 2015 1st? Not NY's 2015 1st still think might be a lottery lol.

I do that trade anything more I really am not too enthused about myself.

Thats 10 million in for close to 12 million out. I can live with that myself. We could add a prospect but not a top one etc..

off the table to me for these two would be too many players to make this work and leaf fans to be happy.

Yet we are TALKING STEVIE F YZERMAN. He is kinda smarter than shanny.

Just saying. So maybe he can work his magic and I wont be unhappy about losing a guy I care for.

P.S. I think they are after tyjo though myself and for me I would just stick with what have. They want an upgrade to kadri who is second line center.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I just wasted precious minutes of my life on that video.

Pretty sad when Eklund is the rational one of the bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad