Dion Phaneuf - Will he stay or will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Babcock is not going to want to lose. I don't think he'd be too comfortable trading our only clear #1 D and having Rielly + Gardiner being our best defenders.

I think Phaneuf stays... he gets partnered with Reilly or Gardiner... and they play 25+ minutes per night.

Did you listen to his interviews, or read the transcripts? We are going to experience Pain. Babcock knows there will be plenty of losing to start.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He has to be aggressively shopped. I don't think his value will increase at all as the years go. You don't want to be stuck with him in 2 or 3 years time where the only deal you can make is by taking a horrid contract back. I think this team is starting to think long term now.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think they are all gone - or else we are taking chance / Gamble on all these under achieving players. We should take whatever best offer we get and keep on piling picks and prospects

In Phaneuf's case he has already crossed his 30th birthday, he is a very useful player and can help any contending or ready to contend team(s). He has passed his prime and his graph will keep on sliding. In 4-5 years from now, I am not sure if he would be able to compete the way he is now and we need at least that period of time to even think about contending. Trading Phaneuf now make sense now, rather then waiting. The money saved on his contract is very vital for upcoming prospects and free agents

It's pretty simple. The process is going to be same. Both Babcock and Shanahan have mentioned this all day yesterday. Whether it was Babcock the coach or not, the vision and the plan stays exactly the same.

Keeping this in mind, the Leafs tried to trade most of the core players at the deadline with the goal of dismantling this under performing core. Phaneuf was almost traded. Lupul was constantly in the rumours. Bernier's name was out there. Bozak name was mentioned. Kessel due to his salary was not in the rumours but Dreger said he was likely dealt in the off-season.

So I don't expect Phaneuf to stay even with Babcock in the fold. I like him as a player and think he'll make a team much better wherever he goes. But his future in Toronto is just non-existent.

We're in a new phase of rebuilding and it just started. We need to move on from this core of players that just couldn't get it done.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This will tip what the Leafs plan actually is this summer. Stay or go?

Phaneuf says he’s ‘in’ with Babcock in charge

"I'm excited. And the guys are excited, too. It's big for our fans and our organization," said Phaneuf, adding he'd spoken to a few of them. "There was a lot of interest in where he was going to go, and rightfully so. You want to play for a coach of his calibre."

During the media conference Thursday, Babcock said he was "a fan of Dion's."
The Red Wings, Babcock's former team, nearly acquired him at the trade deadline this past season.

Phaneuf attended orientation camps for the 2010 and 2014 Canadian men's Olympic hockey teams, both coached by Babcock. While he said the two men never really spoke specifically about his game, they did get to know each other a little bit.

"You can see how prepared he is, how he makes a plan. He's won at every level and I'm looking forward to working for him."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/phaneuf-says-hes-in-with-babcock-in-charge/

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i actually think he'd be a good fit for Babcock adn think babcock could be great for phanuef
put that with assuming his values is so low i think he's here next year

if his value was really high and he could get a great return that's a different story

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
The more I think about that Phaneuf almost went to Detroit and that Babcock likes him he is here next year at least. Kessel as talented as he is just doesn't fit the Babcock mold of a player, IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The part of what Dion said in his quote that is missed, is the part a lot of guys he has spoken with, are excited that Babcock is now in charge.

Will this factor in to many wanting to stay now? As opposed to the end of the season. "get me out of here" attitude.

CalgaryLeaf*

I'd rather see Dion go but I don't think they'll be able to get good compensation for him this offseason...I assume that the Leafs will have to Pay a minimum of 2M/year of his salary too.

He'll be back in training camp wearing the C.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i actually think he'd be a good fit for Babcock adn think babcock could be great for phanuef
put that with assuming his values is so low i think he's here next year

if his value was really high and he could get a great return that's a different story

I can see Babcock doing for Dion's career what Hitchcock did for Jay Bo's.

We will see where this is heading...We all know Babcock is not the normal NHL coach. His influence goes well beyond just coaching.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The part of what Dion said in his quote that is missed, is the part a lot of guys he has spoken with, are excited that Babcock is now in charge.

Will this factor in to many wanting to stay now? As opposed to the end of the season. "get me out of here" attitude.

I don't know how to articulate this eloquently enough - but to me, if you weren't prepared to stay here during the hard times, then I don't think i want you to stay here during the hard times, simply because we have a good coach. you should have wanted to stay here for the hard times period.

If Boucher had been hired (or Blashill, or whomever) then what? would they still want to go?

:dunno:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know how to articulate this eloquently enough - but to me, if you weren't prepared to stay here during the hard times, then I don't think i want you to stay here during the hard times, simply because we have a good coach. you should have wanted to stay here for the hard times period.

If Boucher had been hired (or Blashill, or whomever) then what? would they still want to go?

Who are you referring to that didn't want to stay here?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see what you are saying - but in my uneducated opinion and per my last post, we should move him for the reasons as per my last post

Say what you want about Dion. He cares. When he wasn't traded last season at the deadline. I commented how much respect I had that he kept on playing, didn't complain, he was a total pro. There were some nights it looked likehe was the only player that cared when others had already checked out.

That goes a long way to what I have heard about him. He's a pro, he's not a problem. And it will be up to Babcock, as I do think if he went to Mgt. and said we need him, I need him to be on this team. The Leafs would reconsider moving him.

If he was wanted by LA, Detroit, and some other unnamed Western teams, surely he is good enough to play here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

And this is assuming Phaneuf wanted to go but the Leafs wanted to keep him. That's a big assumption because it's believed the Leafs wanted to trade him just as much as perhaps Phaneuf wanted to leave, especially to go to Detroit.

I'd be shocked if Phaneuf is here by October.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Babcock wasn't the coach last year. That's all I have to say about that. Self explanatory response.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
She means Dion. Word was he wanted out and was disappointed the Detroit trade fell through.

Dion probably wanted to get away from this circus and play for Babcock.

Now he has that chance. And he is letting everyone know this. We know Babcock thinks he is a good player.

Where this will lead us in this rebuild/tool we will find out this summer.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I voted that he's staying here as captain . . . but that's only what I think will happen, not what I want.

My prediction is that Phaneuf is eventually dealt in fact, but it may take a season or two. There still exists the possibility of a fantastic deal landing in the lap of Nonis/Shanahan/Hunter, but it's probably unlikely. Kessel going is a given, and hopefully it's a draft day deal; but Phaneuf is a guy who would truly bring stability to a re-building franchise, and he's a pro in work ethic and demeanour. I've soured on him as a player, but I think he may bring us more value staying than leaving because of those qualities.

I'm really excited thinking about how Babcock shapes this team . . .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I voted that he's staying here as captain . . . but that's only what I think will happen, not what I want.

My prediction is that Phaneuf is eventually dealt in fact, but it may take a season or two. There still exists the possibility of a fantastic deal landing in the lap of Nonis/Shanahan/Hunter, but it's probably unlikely. Kessel going is a given, and hopefully it's a draft day deal; but Phaneuf is a guy who would truly bring stability to a re-building franchise, and he's a pro in work ethic and demeanour. I've soured on him as a player, but I think he may bring us more value staying than leaving because of those qualities.

I see Dion being a better mentor than Robidas if we draft Hanifin, and add him to Rielly. Boychuck makes 6M for 7, and he is 31. This team will need mentors. With Babcock shielding Dion, I think he will be more effective. Just as Hitch did for Jay Bo's career.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Nonis?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
And this is assuming Phaneuf wanted to go but the Leafs wanted to keep him. That's a big assumption because it's believed the Leafs wanted to trade him just as much as perhaps Phaneuf wanted to leave, especially to go to Detroit.

I'd be shocked if Phaneuf is here by October.

Yes most probably he is gone

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I see Dion being a better mentor than Robidas if we draft Hanifin, and add him to Rielly. Boychuck makes 6M for 7, and he is 31. This team will need mentors. With Babcock shielding Dion, I think he will be more effective. Just as Hitch did for Jay Bo's career.

As much as I want to see Phaneuf traded I do agree with you in that if anyone is able to use Dion appropriate and help him turn it around it is Babcock .. So it adds intrigue to the situation. It is important to shelter the kids and have some reliable vets in the line up.

The issue with this is that Dion's been here for all of these collapses, and not only that it's that he has been captain too .. It's a sense that so long as he's here, there's that sense of failure around him.

There's no doubt that Phaneuf was demanded by good teams, competing for a cup .. But at the same time the Leafs aren't competing in the short term - so another question arises of how long can Dion keep his play up before it drops off? In 5 years, will he be a $7 mill anchor on the bottom pair? Tough to say.

I maintain that if the right deal is there, you move Phaneuf.. Don't sell him cheap but keep him out there for a trade.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

i think that at the very minimum the current leaf roster respects babcock. they might end up hating him because will work them hard but i think they recognize that he is a very good coach.

i would be surprised if phaneuf doesnt start the season with the leafs baring some crazy offer that is too good to be true. phaneufs value cant really get much lower so there is little reason to move him if you dont get a good offer.

i suspect phaneuf will look like a different player under babcock. i think the fact that the rest of the ducks might get in line will also help phaneuf be better. there is only so much one player can do, if the whole team is working hard then he will have an easier time dealing with things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad