Dion Phaneuf - Will he stay or will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It's not about what he has done, it's about making it better for him. Alleviating some of the pressure. Let him focus on his game more.

You really think stripping him of the C will allow him to focus more and alleviate pressure?

Did somebody lock up our media and nuke the room and I missed it?

In this city, that situation just screams circus. If he's stripped, he's traded, end of story.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
He plays a game more suitable for Babcock than JVR, Kessel, and the rest of the circus animals.

Dion's stretch pass is underrated. He could move pucks out to a top line that were not willing to work hard in the offensive zone. I'm not considering him our Hjalmarsson, but 30 assists pace under the toughest minutes is strong. If he was allowed to free roam a bit more, I can see his goal scoring increase.

Think we still need to clear the entire corps, though.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Phanuef would be lucky to be traded and he already knows if he sucks he could possibly be traded.

Babs will push him even harder when hes not supposed to be. Phanuef will crumble under the pressure and go to the point where he is literally untradeable

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see Dion flourishing under Babcock. Not convinced he will be gone, though there is no doubt he wanted to leave at the deadline. Dion may reconsider now that Babcock is here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You really think stripping him of the C will allow him to focus more and alleviate pressure?

Did somebody lock up our media and nuke the room and I missed it?

In this city, that situation just screams circus. If he's stripped, he's traded, end of story.

This.

They've made nothing but sharp moves since the New Year, they won't get stupid now.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Phanuef would be lucky to be traded and he already knows if he sucks he could possibly be traded.

Babs will push him even harder when hes not supposed to be. Phanuef will crumble under the pressure and go to the point where he is literally untradeable
Caryle is a very conservative coach for defenceman. I didn't see much free roam allowed by our D. It is actually one of the reason why Dion wasn't much of a rusher-shooter this season. He generates his assists with good stretch passes particularly Kessel's line even-strength.

He'd do fine. The bigger issue will be up front. Will our forward core be willing to stay with the defenceman and work hard? That's what Detroit does and despite being a team with good skaters, Babcock's system is not speed-friendly.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Babcock is not going to want to lose. I don't think he'd be too comfortable trading our only clear #1 D and having Rielly + Gardiner being our best defenders.

I think Phaneuf stays... he gets partnered with Reilly or Gardiner... and they play 25+ minutes per night.

Kessel is gone for sure though.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I think it's more likely Phaneuf is moved over Kessel tbh. We heard a lot more about the pending deals for Dion than Phil before the trade deadline. Phil is also more of an "elite" talent that they may not want to part with.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Salutegate happened on Dion's watch.

Salutegate has to be the most overblown crap that has ever happened to this team. And that is saying a lot.

Really dude?

He lead them thru every major collapse for starters.

So the reason we collapse is because Dion is wearing the 'C'? Would it have been any different if someone else on the team was wearing it? I sort of doubt it.

I don't claim he's a great captain, but nobody here can really know what he's like as a captain, can we?

It's not about what he has done, it's about making it better for him. Alleviating some of the pressure. Let him focus on his game more.

This is a reasonable idea. Wearing the 'C' makes you take a lot of extra flak, apparently.

I'm still guessing he's traded.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Babcock is not going to want to lose. I don't think he'd be too comfortable trading our only clear #1 D and having Rielly + Gardiner being our best defenders.

Nobody wants to lose, but the "experts" say that Babcock is in for the long haul.

I think Phaneuf stays... he gets partnered with Reilly or Gardiner... and they play 25+ minutes per night.

Kessel is gone for sure though.

Our offense runs through Kessel, so trading him has a rather big impact on the "winning" thing as well.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I would hope my team isn't as big a gong show to strip the Captain. He's either here as Captain or traded.

Right. We need that stability his past 6 years has provided......

He's a failure as a captain. Babs don't reward failure hopefully. He's gonna be real tough to move

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The trade talks will heat up soon....he is available but will a team step up and pay the sticker price. Detroit did not want to pay sticker price at the deadline....so we will see.

He will not be stripped of the C, but I do not see him being here long at all....you move players like Dion when rebuilding.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Salutegate has to be the most overblown crap that has ever happened to this team. And that is saying a lot.

as I mentioned before - it doesn't even matter that if people liked it, don't like it, never knew it existed, thinks it's overblown, got offended, I think the crux of the matter is - it did happen and it shouldn't have the captain should have cut it down instantly (or had the brain cells fire up of why this was not a good idea). considering that Clarkson, Robidas and a few others did and voiced their displeasure about it means it wasn't how it was presented to be and Dion went with it anyway.

but millage varies on that for sure.

in regards if Dion "flourishes" under Babcock or he'll stay or whatever - we'll have to see. i personally think the majority of the older-statesmen of this team will be removed to garner more assets for the fact (despite my personal feelings on them) - they'll more than likely not be ready/helpful for this team by the time the Leafs are ready to compete for the cup. that - includes Dion.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
as I mentioned before - it doesn't even matter that if people liked it, don't like it, never knew it existed, thinks it's overblown, got offended, I think the crux of the matter is - it did happen and it shouldn't have the captain should have cut it down instantly (or had the brain cells fire up of why this was not a good idea). considering that Clarkson, Robidas and a few others did and voiced their displeasure about it means it wasn't how it was presented to be and Dion went with it anyway.

but millage varies on that for sure.

in regards if Dion "flourishes" under Babcock or he'll stay or whatever - we'll have to see. i personally think the majority of the older-statesmen of this team will be removed to garner more assets for the fact (despite my personal feelings on them) - they'll more than likely not be ready/helpful for this team by the time the Leafs are ready to compete for the cup. that - includes Dion.

It's not a point in Dion's favour, but I don't think the fact that they awkwardly didn't salute the fans that one time means that Dion is deserving of having his 'C' stripped. Even the name "salutegate" irks me. It's just one of those dumb things that happened that shouldn't have happened that gets blown way out of proportion IMO.

Unless a captain is basically embarassing himself in the public eye, we as fans really can't make a call as to whether he is a bad captain or not. We aren't in the locker room, and just hear rumours.

It's up to the guys who are in the room to make these types of decisions.

Dion may go, or he may not. We'll have to wait and see.

One thing that is interesting is that the cap is being questioned right now. There's even the possibility it goes down a bit. The lower the cap ends up, the trickier it will be to move big contracts.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's not a point in Dion's favour, but I don't think the fact that they awkwardly didn't salute the fans that one time means that Dion is deserving of having his 'C' stripped. Even the name "salutegate" irks me. It's just one of those dumb things that happened that shouldn't have happened that gets blown way out of proportion IMO.

Unless a captain is basically embarassing himself in the public eye, we as fans really can't make a call as to whether he is a bad captain or not. We aren't in the locker room, and just hear rumours.

It's up to the guys who are in the room to make these types of decisions.

Dion may go, or he may not. We'll have to wait and see.

One thing that is interesting is that the cap is being questioned right now. There's even the possibility it goes down a bit. The lower the cap ends up, the trickier it will be to move big contracts.

no... I didn't say that (did I? i didn't have my morning tea, so LOL if I gave you that impression, I do apologise).

I would assume most people want Dion not as captain because almost everyone goes he can't handle the pressures + do his job. Not to say I want to emulate San Jose or anything but they stripped their captain twice and everyone knows Joe & Patty Marleau aren't evil incarnate or bad leadership people, but removed the letter they did.

but yes. i know it wouldn't fly here. which means he's either captain and here, or traded and it doesn't matter.

and I agree. the lower our dollar, the lower the cap, even if the NHLPA agress to escrow, and well that, as the say is that. we'll have to be creative.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
no... I didn't say that (did I? i didn't have my morning tea, so LOL if I gave you that impression, I do apologise).

I would assume most people want Dion not as captain because almost everyone goes he can't handle the pressures + do his job. Not to say I want to emulate San Jose or anything but they stripped their captain twice and everyone knows Joe & Patty Marleau aren't evil incarnate or bad leadership people, but removed the letter they did.

but yes. i know it wouldn't fly here. which means he's either captain and here, or traded and it doesn't matter.

and I agree. the lower our dollar, the lower the cap, even if the NHLPA agress to escrow, and well that, as the say is that. we'll have to be creative.

No you didn't say that, the guy I responded to in the post you quoted did. :laugh:

I was explaining my reasoning a little, with a bit of frustration. Didn't mean to come across as accusatory. ;)

In the case of Thornton and Marleau, they may consider something like that. It's possible. However, Joe is one to "embarrass" himself to the media sometimes, so there is that. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
i still think the massive purge of core players will happen. The only way Phaneuf or any of the other veterans stay is because of a lack of interest.

In Phaneufs case, there appears to be some interest from a few teams. I expect him gone.

buttman*

No doubt in my mind both Phaneuf and Kessel are gone. I also believe Bozak and Lupul will be gone. In Lupul's case they need to find a taker.

They will however pretend now that Babcock is here that it is not necessary to ship them out -- which should help increase their trade value a little.

I expect after the Stanley Cup playoffs are over and before the draft that we will see a couple Leaf trades. Possibly a blockbuster or two.

Expect the Leafs to be looking for a guy like Mantha in a Phaneuf deal and a top 12 picj in a Kessel deal. If they can't get these pieces I expect Kessel and Phaneuf to be around for a bit but not for long.

I could also see the Leafs fielding offers on KVR, Bernier, Kadri, Gardiner and just about anyone else if they can get a decent return.

Bottom line -- the quicker you blow it up -- the quicker you can rebuild.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
No you didn't say that, the guy I responded to in the post you quoted did. :laugh:

I was explaining my reasoning a little, with a bit of frustration. Didn't mean to come across as accusatory. ;)

In the case of Thornton and Marleau, they may consider something like that. It's possible. However, Joe is one to "embarrass" himself to the media sometimes, so there is that. :laugh:

it's okay, i understand :)

:laugh: and this is true. Joe is very testy in California.

i simply do not know what is going to happen. I would assume, that they will continue to pick up talks with Detroit, LA and Anaheim and see if they can some how get Dion moved for one of Larkin/Mantha, Toffoli/Pearson, and Theodore with insert your cap dollars to make the deal work here. Because to me, Babcock "liking" Dion vs. getting one of those players (who would be growing up with the same core we're trying to build up), :dunno:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dion is gone by draft, I wouldn't be surprised if he was here at Training camp. not hedging my bets, just what the market it is. (I don't know if it helps us or hurts us that Bettman suggested the cap is at 71.0 million depending on the CDN dollar).

if a deal that makes sense to move Dion and we get better, he's gone. if he's not (or if it is not) Babcock said he's going to do his best to make the players better, to give Dion the help he needs to be a better leader (or however Babcock said it , it was very eloquent). so either way, win win situation.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
i still think the massive purge of core players will happen. The only way Phaneuf or any of the other veterans stay is because of a lack of interest.

In Phaneufs case, there appears to be some interest from a few teams. I expect him gone.

I think they are all gone - or else we are taking chance / Gamble on all these under achieving players. We should take whatever best offer we get and keep on piling picks and prospects

In Phaneuf's case he has already crossed his 30th birthday, he is a very useful player and can help any contending or ready to contend team(s). He has passed his prime and his graph will keep on sliding. In 4-5 years from now, I am not sure if he would be able to compete the way he is now and we need at least that period of time to even think about contending. Trading Phaneuf now make sense now, rather then waiting. The money saved on his contract is very vital for upcoming prospects and free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad