Dion Phaneuf - Will he stay or will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Biggs*

I remember one of the last D-man Detroit got from the Leafs, he's now in the HHOF (Larry Murphy)...seems to me he was roundly despised by Leafs fans too

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Would shock me if the Leafs weren't going after Adrian Kempe in any potential Phaneuf-to-LA deal. They undoubtedly saw a lot of him while paying attention to Nylander with MODO.

"Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net."

Sounds like a perfect compliment to Nylander.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Elite pay, Not performing

Elite Paid Dman:
- games over 25, salary over 6 mil AAV.
Ranked worst to first.
2mrv04g.jpg

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The entire Phaneuf "debate" is still going nowhere. We still use cap hits being used despite the fact that players are only concerned with salary per. In other words, it's quite foolish to compare a contract which has been circumvented versus one where that's not possible.

Having said that, Phaneuf is still an effective top pairing defenceman. If moved, we need to be patient and consider doing that during the offseason.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Seriously hoping he just shuts it down for the rest of the season.

Let us tank in peace and then move him in the off season if the price is right

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Seriously hoping he just shuts it down for the rest of the season.

Let us tank in peace and then move him in the off season if the price is right

you should have a little more faith in our Captain

he's an experienced and very successful tank commander and i have faith he can lead us again

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorely missed.
Any word yet on his return?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I could see the Oilers trading for Phaneuf - I'm just not sure how great the return will be. EDM's 2015 1st, Nurse and any of the young forward core are out IMO. It would have to be something like - EDM 2016 1st, Oscar Klefbom for Dion.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I could see the Oilers trading for Phaneuf - I'm just not sure how great the return will be. EDM's 2015 1st, Nurse and any of the young forward core are out IMO. It would have to be something like - EDM 2016 1st, Oscar Klefbom for Dion.

I can't see Edm on a list of teams he'd accept a trade too . I understand he's from out west but who in their right mind wants to there if they had a choice .

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I can't see Edm on a list of teams he'd accept a trade too . I understand he's from out west but who in their right mind wants to there if they had a choice .

Honestly though - how many teams do you see lining up to acquire Phaneuf with that contract? It's not like Dion is a UFA where he has all the leverage. How many "contenders" can afford that kind of cap hit? So that removes most (if not all) of the top NHL teams. The only teams who will take a chance on Phaneuf (aka: assume that massive cap hit) would be lower teams like the Oilers. Would Dion rather hold the Leafs hostage (when he's not wanted) instead of accepting a trade to another team in Western Canada who really wants him? I guess we'll find out.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
Honestly though - how many teams do you see lining up to acquire Phaneuf with that contract? It's not like Dion is a UFA where he has all the leverage. How many "contenders" can afford that kind of cap hit? So that removes most (if not all) of the top NHL teams. The only teams who will take a chance on Phaneuf (aka: assume that massive cap hit) would be lower teams like the Oilers. Would Dion rather hold the Leafs hostage (when he's not wanted) instead of accepting a trade to another team in Western Canada who really wants him? I guess we'll find out.

California or Bust, for Dion. Thats why Nonis is scouting Richards.

Dobber

Jan 7, 2015
Leafs fans need to recognize! Dion is not the problem. Too much money tied up in him for sure but he's not the primary target. Pay attention to what happens next, you will see

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013

Nobody wants to go to Edmonton and Edmonton has shown that they are unwilling or paralyzed with fear to make a trade.

Trade Dion to a Anaheim, or LA and get another first round pick in this years draft.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
California or Bust, for Dion. Thats why Nonis is scouting Richards.

You could be right - but in that scenario, the Leafs will be taking back a nice chunk of salary and term in the deal, instead of full cap-relief, a core prospect and a 1st.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I agree , i don't see many teams interested in him but i also believe Dion doesn't see it this way .

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Leafs fans need to recognize! Dion is not the problem. Too much money tied up in him for sure but he's not the primary target. Pay attention to what happens next, you will see

He is 100% the problem. Overpaid, isn't good at his job in any facet anymore and the leader.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

:facepalm:

He sure is the problem! We've barely even missed him while he's been out! :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad