Dion Phaneuf: The Phanny 400

champs*

EVERYTHING IS IN GARDINER'S FAVOUR, NOT JUST CORSI.

GOAL METRICS, SHOT METRICS, POSSESSION PROXIES, SCORING CHANCE MEASURES, PASSING EFFECTIVENESS, EXPECTED GOAL STATISTICS, ZONE EFFECTIVENESS, WAR, dCORSI/FENWICK- LITERALLY EVERYTHING!

HOW ARE YOU NOT GETTING THIS!?

Babcock is playing him in situation he less likely to fail at ... do you get it? If he starts playing the PK and against #1 lines, d/z/s what do you think is going to happen? corsi, etc are going to get better? lol

91Kadri91*

Our top advanced stats players on the leafs... Clearly babcock has no idea what he is doing behind the bench, right 91kadri91?

1 Mark Arcobello
2 Brad Boyes
3 Tyler Bozak
4 Rich Clune
5 Frank Corrado
6 Byron Froese
7 Jake Gardiner
8 Michael Grabner
9 Scott Harrington
10 Peter Holland

11 Matt Hunwick

18 Dion Phaneuf
19 Roman Polak
20 Morgan Rielly

Uh, no, this list is quantifiably wrong. It's actually not even close to right. Did you just pull names from a hat and place them in a random order, or do you actually believe that Rich Clune, a guy with a -13.97 SCFRel, is the fourth best player on this team according to advanced stats? Do you really believe that Morgan Rielly, who has the best EGF against 'good' opposition among Leafs defensemen (with 50+ MP), a top-20 PDP/20, and the best 1A even-strength chance generation among Leafs defensemen, is the 20th best player on the Leafs according to advanced statistics? Do you really believe that JVR, who destroys every other winger on this team, and has a top-50 league-wide SA CFRel, FFRel, SFRel, GFRel, and SCFRel is not among the top-10 Leafs' skaters according to advanced stats? Do you really believe that Byron Froese, whose statistics are negative in every category, and who has the third worst passing corsi among Leafs' forwards, is the sixth best player on the Leafs according to advanced statistics? Do you really believe that Nazem Kadri, who has the best 1A scoring chance creation result of all Leafs, is not in the top-10? Do you really believe that Matt Hunwick, who sits dead last in almost every statistical category for Leafs defensemen, is 11th on the Leafs in terms of how advanced statistics rates him? Do you genuinely believe that Hunwick is ahead of Phaneuf and Rielly at the moment? Do you really believe that Gardiner, who leads Leafs defensemen in almost every statistical category (he's five percentage points ahead of any Leafs defensemen in on-ice passing Corsi, which is incredible), is 7th?

Gardiner ranks: 15th (of 115 defensemen with 4000+ MP) in even-strength score-adjusted HSCFRel since 2011/12, 12th in SA SCFRel, 4th in SA CFRel, 12th in SA FFRel, 11th in SA SFRel, and 18th in SA GFRel. I should also mention that he was top-25 in GAR last season, had one of the best dCPM's in the NHL last season, one of the best EGFRel's, and was top-5 in dCorsi and top-25 in dFenwick (ranks top-30 in both this season).

Gardiner ranks 14th in ZSO%Rel since 2011/12 (from most favourable to least favourable), behind names like Keith Yandle, Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Karlsson, Ryan Suter, and Mike Green, and just ahead of names like Jake Muzzin, Nick Leddy, Jared Spurgeon, P.K. Subban, and Kris Letang; Drew Doughty ranks 40th. At the other end of the scale? Hjalmarsson, Chara, Girardi, Hejda, and Eric ****ing Brewer. Having favourable zone-starts (as I have shown countless times both theoretically and empirically) does not make you a bad hockey player (or a good hockey player), and having poor zone-starts does not make you a good hockey player (or a bad hockey player).

You're trying to equate usage with effectiveness, and you're failing miserably. Hunwick plays difficult minutes, but he does not play those minutes well.

champs*

I will let this tread get back on track...maybe in another thread but not this one.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
One of the worst developments in society is that more and more, people are completely incapable of grasping the limits of their understanding and knowledge. People don't go "I'm sorry, I don't know this subject, could you enlighten me?" anymore. Instead they base opinions on extremely shallow grounds and then believe said opinion to be impervious.

It is ok to not be knowledgeable in a particular area. Pretending to be because you read a Wiki summary on the subject just makes you look like a tool.

Just something the discussion over the last few pages makes me think of.

champs*

Untitled%20-%202_zpspnkfjn4w.jpg

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So if I understand you correctly, you base your list of "our top advanced stats" players on the Leafs on a table of basic possession stats sorted on player name?

My last post feel even more appropriate now.

I'm sorry, but this is just absolutely great.

champs*

I am arguing against the guy that is posting Jake Gardner is a better d-man than Drew Doughty because thats what his stats show!!... you guys are insulting me? :laugh::laugh:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I am arguing against the guy that is posting Jake Gardner is a better d-man than Drew Doughty because thats what his stats show!!... you guys are insulting me? :laugh::laugh:

You've clearly disproved that, as D comes before G in the alphabet.

champs*

Except that was never the argument.

Besides, we all know Doughty is better than Gardiner.

D comes before G in the alphabet.

Really, not according to advanced stats that 91kadri92 uses, so your wrong and in the position i am debating now.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes, 91Kadri91 referencing Doughty's numbers when it comes to relative zone starts to show how bad the stat is as evidence for quality is clearly him saying that Gardiner is the better player.

champs*

Yes, 91Kadri91 referencing Doughty's numbers when it comes to relative zone starts to show how bad the stat is as evidence for quality is clearly him saying that Gardiner is the better player.

im out, so dont insult and drag me back in.. have a good one :nod:

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
TSN

LeBrun: Phaneuf's off ice leadership has been tremendous

(link)

It's been a rough season points wise, but alot of players speaking glowingly of Dion away from the ice. Handles the kids well. Good to see him leading the pups.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't care too much about him anymore. He is not going to be around when the Leafs truly become Cup contenders. If he is still around when he is 34-35, the Leafs will not be able to take the next step because of his anchor contract. I don't think that at 34-35, with a cap hit of 7M he is going to be an asset. I really don't. I don't care how glowingly Leafs management is talking about him, that does not mean that they are not looking to move him. If they are not trying to move him, that's a big fail.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
And last night is a shining example of why most people cannot stomach Phanoof. Real tough guy beating up on Brayden Schenn. Its embarrassing that he picks he spots when it comes to who he fights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad