Dion Phaneuf: The Phanny 400

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Is the breakout pass something that can be taught? Or is it one of those things that either you have it or you don't?

The stats will show his breakout passes hardly ever make it to the recipient, but rather gets intercepted a lot, making his breakout pass a liability.

So who on our team can we trust with the breakout pass? Or just coming out of the zone leading the charge?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We have two players who have been doing well breaking out of the zone, and that's Gardiner and Rielly, the latter especially.

A lot of that has to do with forward support. We simply haven't had any alternatives to skating the puck out of danger to get out of the zone.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
His breakout pass would be the least of my concerns after watching him last night.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
His breakout pass would be the least of my concerns after watching him last night.

And this is what I'm referring to.

We're expecting him to be this defenceman who can lead the charge out of the zone; quarterback a powerplay; send a breakout pass that can lead to an odd man rush.

We haven't seen him do any of the aforementioned things well.

So maybe we're expecting too much?

Maybe we just have him be a stay at home defenceman and let a Rielly and Gardiner lead the rushes?

Dion can take the role of Scotty Stevens and Rielly or Gardiner can take the role of Scotty Niedermayer.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

We're expecting him to be this defenceman who can lead the charge out of the zone; quarterback a powerplay; send a breakout pass that can lead to an odd man rush.

Maybe we just have him be a stay at home defenceman and let a Rielly and Gardiner lead the rushes?

Dion can take the role of Scotty Stevens and Rielly or Gardiner can take the role of Scotty Niedermayer.

Dion is hard to put to good use. He's relatively good in the offensive zone, can move the puck around and has that shot. He has been a productive D-man, not many boast over 0.5 PPG in their careers.

At this point, it's not a big strength though. His transition game is not good, so he's not much of use there either. And defensively he needs the right partner to be effective.

Swayze*

Dream on

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Simply put. He's just awful. Terrible captain terrible player. His hockey IQ might be the lowest of any player in this era

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Phaneuf has regressed in every way, year after year. Possession, scoring rates, and even ES ATOI.

It was Phaneuf that needed to go, not Kessel.

The biggest holes we have are from the net out. That's the reason why even Mike Babcock couldn't make this team marginally competitive. I think we'd be fine with a lot of rookies up front if we had a great D.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

Cant believe you just compared phaneuf to scott stevens... :shakehead

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A true captain indeed. We had the momentum last night, tied the game, go on the PP and he takes another lazy, bone headed penalty that leads to Detroit's go ahead goal. Then with the net empty, he serves it up on a platter to Detroit for the insurance goal with a sad breakout pass attempt.

He is beyond brutal. I don't know if I can even stand watching him play anymore. We should have given him to Detroit at the deadline for whatever they offered.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014

We are? News to me. He's played a stable shut down role for years now. Don't know what you're watching.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

It's not expecting too much of a defenceman making his salary, let alone a captain.

He is a liability, and he's only going to get worse. Management needs to bite the bullet and get rid of him no matter what the cost.

I agree with the previous poster in that he should have been discarded instead of Kessel.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Phaneuf always has been and always will be a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.
Save yourself the heartache and don't expect any more of him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dion is what I have said he is over last 3 years....a very poor thinking D man who will take stupid penalties if hit or challenged as well as a give away machine and a below average skater, with a big shot...as far as a captain goes, we have never had a worse one!

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
Is the breakout pass something that can be taught? Or is it one of those things that either you have it or you don't?

The stats will show his breakout passes hardly ever make it to the recipient, but rather gets intercepted a lot, making his breakout pass a liability.

So who on our team can we trust with the breakout pass? Or just coming out of the zone leading the charge?

He's been here for 6 years and you're just realizing this now?

And besides, not sure why anybody is expecting anything at all out of Phaneuf. It seems to me the only reason he's still here (he among others) is because a trade hasn't yet materialized. When and if it does, he will be gone. This entire era of Leafs players which includes guys like Phaneuf, Lupul, Bozak, and the now departed Kessel is dead, guys. The Leafs are going to suck this year and everybody knows it. In fact if you asked Shanahan he'd probably say the Leafs have to suck this year. To expect anything else out of this group, or improvement of any sort in their game is pointless.

But to answer the question, Rielly and Gardiner.

Mar 26, 2010
Simply put. He's just awful. Terrible captain terrible player. His hockey IQ might be the lowest of any player in this era

I agree with this. You're post is 100% accurate.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dion can't skate either... have you seen him turn from skating backwards to forwards? every winger knows to go wide and he will be beaten 100% of the time.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I still can't believe Kessel was seen as a more critical piece to remove than this bum.

And then you pass on Hanifan to boot...like WTF?

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Not sure if you guys agree but Phaneuf stank the place up last night.
Worst player on the ice. Stupid penalties. Coughed up the puck.

He should be benched for a performance like that. Couple games in the press box might help.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I still can't believe Kessel was seen as a more critical piece to remove than this bum.

You gotta wonder what went on behind closed doors, Kessel must have pulled his pants down and taken a dump on Shanny's desk for them to think he needed to go first.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Its gotta be conditioning doesn't it?

I've never seen a player players skating regress to rapidly and progressively from 25 to 30, and the scary thing is he's only 30, how much worse is he gonna get as he ages.

Its funny there was so much talk about Kessel's conditioning but at least he still produced.

The thing is for a player like Phaneuf, who's not a smart player, with the skating failing he can't make up for his flaws. Young Phaneuf at least could make an impact chasing people around for the big hit and rushing the puck up ice.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

You gotta wonder what went on behind closed doors, Kessel must have pulled his pants down and taken a dump on Shanny's desk for them to think he needed to go first.

I think the reason being is that Kessel is much more 'marketable' hence less effort to move than Dion -- let's face it, we're stuck with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad