Dion Phaneuf: The Phanny 400

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
It will be interesting to see if he still logs up to 24 minutes a game under Babcock.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Phaneuf is a career .53 points/game. Scott Stevens was .55. Not a big difference. Think Stevens also gets a nod for playing in an era when the world wasn't so soft and wimpy. Watching hockey now, you'd swear they'll give out penalties for hurting someone's feelings. Think Phaneuf would of thrived more in the older era. Likewise, most modern hockey minds wouldn't place so much value on Dion as Burke did either.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Dion Phaneuf is a horrible hockey player. He's slow, he's lazy, and he has no IQ.

Aside from the occasional monstrous open ice hit he does nothing else well. And unfortunately those huge hits make some people believe in his ability to play defence

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
His defensive play is underrated here (in that it's bad instead of horrible), but his transition play is horrible. He's average once you get into the offensive zone.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dion Phaneuf is a horrible hockey player. He's slow, he's lazy, and he has no IQ.

Aside from the occasional monstrous open ice hit he does nothing else well. And unfortunately those huge hits make some people believe in his ability to play defence

Like this hit:

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
always draft bpa

Well a lot of people thought Hanifin was BPA. It's personal opinion between those two. Part of me thinks that if Hanifin was Canadian we wouldve taken him.
Then I think our management is smart enough to not draft based on nationality.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Well a lot of people thought Hanifin was BPA. It's personal opinion between those two. Part of me thinks that if Hanifin was Canadian we wouldve taken him.
Then I think our management is smart enough to not draft based on nationality.

It's actually interesting how we judge draft classes so early after their respective drafts. There's polls going around asking about how you would rank the 2012 draft, some even go to 2013. Fact is that only a few of the players have played close to their peak potential in 1 or 2 years. I think it's almost a given that Hanifin's going to be better than Marner for this year, maybe even the next as well... but Marner's got serious upside that, if realized, is much higher than Noah's (supposedly). For some players, like Marner, how they develop after the draft is especially important.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
LOL! No kidding. That Kessel trade is ****ing INSANE! That will go down as the worst trade in the history of the franchise.

Hardly. Just look at some past trades. Kessel had talent but was very lazy and uncoachable. Leafs will get scored on less with just about anyone else in the lineup

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Why more people cant seem to understand this boggles my mind.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Hardly. Just look at some past trades. Kessel had talent but was very lazy and uncoachable. Leafs will get scored on less with just about anyone else in the lineup

So what was the difference between last years -34 and the year prior -4?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
lower offensive production

The removal of Gunner. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you remove your best defensive d-man and replace him with Cody Franson......

18d8lwpd2st6ijpg.jpg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The removal of Gunner. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you remove your best defensive d-man and replace him with Cody Franson......

18d8lwpd2st6ijpg.jpg

Trading Gunner didn't help but in PK's case dropping 20 pts is the main reason his +/- sky rocketed .

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
God some of you guys really hate Phaneuf. Lowest IQ of this era? Terrible player? Obviously he's not the best player but if you think he's bad enough to be playing in the AHL (regardless of his contract) you are seriously just blindly hating.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
God some of you guys really hate Phaneuf. Lowest IQ of this era? Terrible player? Obviously he's not the best player but if you think he's bad enough to be playing in the AHL (regardless of his contract) you are seriously just blindly hating.

You'll find many types here with various motives behind their thoughts. Most see things how they really are but they just aren't as vocal or outrageous.

Mar 12, 2009

Ya, there is a lot of hyperbole and opinions coming from what sounds like teenage angst. A lot of exaggeration. He's certainly not great and has a number of flaws, but he's not the fringe-NHL calibre player that he's being made out to be here. You are well with in your rights to hate the player, but it's hard to pretend their is much objectivity in most of these opinions.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Yes, we are stuck with him. No team would give anything of value for him. Won't even get a 7th.

Buy out is the only option. Just bite your pride and buy him out.

Buying him out would be the worst thing possible.

That would mean he's on the books for twice as long and would be the quick fix issues that have killed this organization.

We aren't anywhere near the cap. Phaneuf is still a bonafide NHLer and we'll just have to eat a few more years on his deal before likely sending him off to a non-cap team in the later stages of his contract (where he's paid less than his cap hit) to a non-cap team like we did with Bryan McCabe way back.

Mar 26, 2010
Buying him out would be the worst thing possible.

That would mean he's on the books for twice as long and would be the quick fix issues that have killed this organization.

We aren't anywhere near the cap. Phaneuf is still a bonafide NHLer and we'll just have to eat a few more years on his deal before likely sending him off to a non-cap team in the later stages of his contract (where he's paid less than his cap hit) to a non-cap team like we did with Bryan McCabe way back.

While I agree with the Buy Out not being the most effective way to shed him... we really don't have any other choice.

He is not tradable and he is a very bad influence on the young players in the room. The faster he is out of sight the better the team will be. I disagree that he is a bonafide NHLer, as he looks like a fish out of water on the ice.

This team needs a clean start to develop our young D and other prospects. It is time to move on.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
While I agree with the Buy Out not being the most effective way to shed him... we really don't have any other choice.

He is not tradable and he is a very bad influence on the young players in the room. The faster he is out of sight the better the team will be. I disagree that he is a bonafide NHLer, as he looks like a fish out of water on the ice.

This team needs a clean start to develop our young D and other prospects. It is time to move on.

How so?

Who is the heir apparent to be captain?

Dion is an intensely competitive player, trains hard and takes an absurd amount of abuse from the media and fans (even when he was a Norris candidate a few years ago all that was said was what he wasn't instead of getting any praise).

His game has just slipped but who will fill that void in the D core? Hunwick or Robidas? lol

Even after trading Dion people will just move onto hating someone else anyways because the team will still be terrible. Witness McCabe, Gill, Franson, Clarkson, etc.

I get that people don't like Dion but we're in a situation where we need to simply ride his contract out + minimize the long term impact. A buyout isn't an option at this point.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: Probably getting all the young ones hooked on Red Bull.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

No, we've been watching first hand for years.
Phaneuf has regressed. He's in over his head, but it's not all his fault. The rest of the defense isn't good either. He's just the guy who got the C slapped on his jersey.

No.

Why would you draft a winger if you're already looking good on the wing. Draft to better your team.

With the assumption that the player you just drafted will make the team? BPA always

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad