Dion Phaneuf: The Phanny 400

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And last night is a shining example of why most people cannot stomach Phanoof. Real tough guy beating up on Brayden Schenn. Its embarrassing that he picks he spots when it comes to who he fights.

It was a natural fight. Pretty obvious they had something they wanted to settle.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
And last night is a shining example of why most people cannot stomach Phanoof. Real tough guy beating up on Brayden Schenn. Its embarrassing that he picks he spots when it comes to who he fights.

Schenn has been in this league long enough.. It's not like he's going after McDavid

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
What a turn this thread took. Fantastic.

Schenn deserved what he got, he was taking runs at Phaneuf

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Schenn is 24 years old, he is a grown man. The team has only fought 6 times this entire year, really, people are going to say that Phaneuf is "picking his spots"? What, do you want your captain fighting at the drop of a hat? LOL.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
What a turn this thread took. Fantastic.

Schenn deserved what he got, he was taking runs at Phaneuf

Guys take runs at Phaneuf and every other defenceman in the league on a nightly basis. Fact is, Phanuef only seems to get interested in defending himself or teammates when the opponent is in a weight class or more below.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Guys take runs at Phaneuf and every other defenceman in the league on a nightly basis. Fact is, Phanuef only seems to get interested in defending himself or teammates when the opponent is in a weight class or more below.

True, and I'm fine with it. It's not like he's the size of Georges Laracque taking on some middleweight.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
There should be no issues with the fight last night.

For all the questions about Phaneuf and fighting, last night wasn't a good example.

He took on a willing partner who has fought similar sized guys to Phaneuf in the past.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
not to mention he made some beauty rushes, had a nice assist and should have had a second.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Wtf are people hating on Phaneuf for? He's been rock solid under Babcock and is not doing much wrong. And people are bashing him for fighting Schenn yesterday??? Making it sound like he picked on a 1st grader or something. It was a natural fight, both players were willing and Schenn was taking runs at Phaneuf all game. I know this happens every game but I would MUCH rather our captain have some kind of emotion rather than not give a damn...

I have no problem with Phaneuf being here. Even if in 1-2 years we are doing well, I still would have no problem with him on the backend.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Wtf are people hating on Phaneuf for? He's been rock solid under Babcock and is not doing much wrong. And people are bashing him for fighting Schenn yesterday??? Making it sound like he picked on a 1st grader or something. It was a natural fight, both players were willing and Schenn was taking runs at Phaneuf all game. I know this happens every game but I would MUCH rather our captain have some kind of emotion rather than not give a damn...

I have no problem with Phaneuf being here. Even if in 1-2 years we are doing well, I still would have no problem with him on the backend.

I think everyone is missing the whole point. This stuff happens regularly with Phaneuf. He rarely stands up for his teammates except when he knows the opponent is clearly beatable. As a veteran and perceived leader, he needs to do this more often, no matter who is causing the problem.

Phaneuf has been alright this year, but the team on the whole is playing better defensively. He is still a pylon, and gets walked around way too often.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think everyone is missing the whole point. This stuff happens regularly with Phaneuf. He rarely stands up for his teammates except when he knows the opponent is clearly beatable. As a veteran and perceived leader, he needs to do this more often, no matter who is causing the problem.

Phaneuf has been alright this year, but the team on the whole is playing better defensively. He is still a pylon, and gets walked around way too often.
Sounds like you're missing their point.

Why do you want him to take fights he is clearly going to lose against lesser players?

Getting your ass handed to you nightly and looking like the league speed bag doesn't show leadership. Especially with the way this season has gone and the compete the team has shown.

There's a time and a place to fight.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Sounds like you're missing their point.

Why do you want him to take fights he is clearly going to lose against lesser players?

Getting your ass handed to you nightly and looking like the league speed bag doesn't show leadership. Especially with the way this season has gone and the compete the team has shown.

There's a time and a place to fight.

You make no sense, so Reimer gets run over, Dion stands there and does nothing because it happened to be Wayne Simmonds. But if Brayden Schenn comes calling, Dion now can decide to stand up for his teammate? Sorry, it doesnt work that way.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You make no sense, so Reimer gets run over, Dion stands there and does nothing because it happened to be Wayne Simmonds. But if Brayden Schenn comes calling, Dion now can decide to stand up for his teammate? Sorry, it doesnt work that way.
There's a huge gap between doing nothing and fighting.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004

Here is his fight card.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1615

Personally I don't want our better players fighting scrubs from other teams. I want our better players on the ice not in the box for 5min and I would rather not have them miss time because of broken hands.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

If Reimer gets run over, do you think it's going to more or less moralizing to the team to then see Phaneuf get beat up by Wayne Simmonds?

It's not like the only two options are to drop the gloves or ignore it completely.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Dion's more valuable on the ice than in the penalty box. Being captain means you pick your spots when it comes to fights. That's just a fact unless you're David Backes. I don't buy the size thing either. That's merely coincidence if you ask me. Alot of the chippy guys these days are smaller dudes. Plus, Dion's a big man himself. Tough to find big customers that aren't plugs. (because why would you fight 'them'). Also lol at Schenn being small. Guy is 6'1 200. That's small? Call me when he decides to fight Gally sized players on a regular basis. Then you have a case.

As for the fight itself, as reimer put it, it gave them a extra little boost when they started out flat. That's what a good captain does. Sets the tone.

@:30

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I am glad Dion fed Schenn, that ***** deserved it

Having said that, Phaneuf is a little ***** too sometimes, he needs to do that more often. Had that been Simmonds taking runs then I doubt he would have dropped the gloves

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Reimer gets run over, do you think it's going to more or less moralizing to the team to then see Phaneuf get beat up by Wayne Simmonds?

It's not like the only two options are to drop the gloves or ignore it completely.

I was waiting for Clune to step up at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad