The Star: Dion Phaneuf maturing as captain

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The fact that there are members of this fan base that want to see Phaneuf walk is shocking. He's a stud and without him this team is a bottom feeder.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
The fact that there are members of this fan base that want to see Phaneuf walk is shocking. He's a stud and without him this team is a bottom feeder.

Totally agree. Who will play all those minutes and make this team better? Some overpaid UFA? Never. We need him big time!

penalty shot*

He's been better this season than any previous ones as a Leaf, but that's mostly because this is a contract year for him. Next season, he'll be back to his old self. I wouldn't spend more than 5m on him, and I don't care if any other GM is dumb enough to give him a big payout, I wouldn't. I like him on the team, but at a smaller cap hit and maybe not as captain.

BANG ON 5 MIL :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
He's been better this season than any previous ones as a Leaf, but that's mostly because this is a contract year for him. Next season, he'll be back to his old self. I wouldn't spend more than 5m on him, and I don't care if any other GM is dumb enough to give him a big payout, I wouldn't. I like him on the team, but at a smaller cap hit and maybe not as captain.

So you want to pay him Paul Martin and Alexander Edler money?

You want him to make less than James Wizniewski, Dennis Wideman and Matt Carle?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
BANG ON 5 MIL :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Yea if you think we're gonna get him for $5M/season I got a farm to sell you in Florida. Letang got 8 years/64M and he didn't even make it open market! I'd say Phaneuf is even better then him, so realisticly he could make that and more on the open market, he's not gonna sign here for anything less then $7-7.5M.

Oct 18, 2010

Acrtually had a training camp, and not playing 30 minutes every other night (unconensed season) unlike last year. He's never been a 5mil. A year player. He was fantastic last year too btw.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Aside from the goalies(goaltending in general), he's the most important player on the team. Pay the man his money and hope we can find a complimentary counterpart.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He has amazing games, he has horrible games... that last play on saturday night where he completely gave up really pissed me off. I would keep him at 5 mill, no more.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

So delusional.

$7M per is a hometown discount for Dion. Sign him Nonis.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He has amazing games, he has horrible games... that last play on saturday night where he completely gave up really pissed me off. I would keep him at 5 mill, no more.

He hasn't had a single "horrible" game this year.

Phaneuf at 5M is a huge joke and you know it. He's clearly a top defender and has been playing like one over the past couple seasons. Love him or hate him, he's good.

You let him walk at the end of the year and the Leafs will be in a huge spiral down the standings without being able to replace his strong play and minutes.

And then he'll go to a new club and we are all going to pull out the hindsight goggles to say the Leafs should have kept him because now we don't have a top defender. Boo hoo.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The only thing that I think is Phaneuf's "downfall" and I think many will agree is that he gets over used in games. Not his fault and to be honest you can't even blame Carlyle, he's our best defensemen so he has to be playing out as many minutes as he does but it feels like he's going to slow down toward the end of the season

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I swear Dion haters must not watch other teams play......

Could you imagine if Karlsson played for the leafs? He's had so many brain farts this year that they would be proclaiming him the dumbest player if the league. You ever see how many times Subban leaves himself out of position after throwing a big hit? It doesn't cost him as much of course because he doesn't play against top lines all the time bit it happens quite a lot. Phaneuf has as many points as Weber does this year but has played much better defensively. Letang looks pretty good offensively...when he's healthy. I love Chara but you can tell age is starting to catch up with him.

It drives me nuts to see peeps claiming he only deserves 5 mil when he is performing at a level that is as good or better than all of the above.

I just don't think some people can admit they were wrong...

Phaneuf is a legit #1 who puts up good points, shuts down top lines, plays both PK and PP, plays 20-30 min a game and is almost never hurt.

I'm hoping for 7x7.

koka86yanzi

Jan 9, 2013
I'm not sure if I like Phaneuf with a cap of 7 - 8 mil, in cases like this, i'm hoping we sign him for the max 8 years with a reduced salary in years 5 through 8. $8+$8+$8+$8+$6+$6+$4+$4 =52/8= 6.5. I like this number a lot more even though i'm not a fan of such a long term contract

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00