The Star: Dion Phaneuf maturing as captain

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
sad thing is the only reason he's getting praised now is because of that meaningless +/- stat.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
sad thing is the only reason he's getting praised now is because of that meaningless +/- stat.

It's true. Phaneuf is such a stud. Keeps top players in check all night long, his physicality is such a great tool, love how he boxes players out night in and night out. Only complaint I have about him are his rare brain farts.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
BS he is such a ****ing pylon. I hope he walks.

Edit: I'll make "kidding" darker I guess.

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Glad to see him recognized in a major newspaper, but this shouldn't be anything new. He's been a horse for us this year, and has truly reveled in his shutdown role.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
He's been better this season than any previous ones as a Leaf, but that's mostly because this is a contract year for him. Next season, he'll be back to his old self. I wouldn't spend more than 5m on him, and I don't care if any other GM is dumb enough to give him a big payout, I wouldn't. I like him on the team, but at a smaller cap hit and maybe not as captain.

Mr Scarface*

What a hard ass player. Really liking his career and especially THIS season. Been a rock, but not inside.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He's been better this season than any previous ones as a Leaf, but that's mostly because this is a contract year for him. Next season, he'll be back to his old self. I wouldn't spend more than 5m on him.

Maybe hes doing what most defensemen do and hit their primes in their late 20s/early 30s?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

More takeaways and more blocked shots than last year or the year before. The better plus minus is earned by better play. It is only an empty stat if you aren't the one driving it. Tough minutes and effective results. But is he maturing or can he do it regularly?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I think we can all agree the top spot(s) are reserved for Reimer and Bernier.

Goaltending is such a niche position in hockey compared to the other major sports. You can very well live or die by goaltending. So yes, every team with a #1 goaltender would say the same thing.

Looking beyond that, Phaneuf is without a doubt our most important player.

Well...it only took them 4 years.

I think this article was more about making note how Phaneuf has continued to evolve has a player.

Coincidence or not, this is the same season that he has really established as the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We (most) always knew Phaneuf was a good player, but combining the leadership and his play this year have made this his best season as a Leaf, so far.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If he keeps playing like he has thus far this season, I have no problem locking him up long term. He is currently playing the best hockey of his career. But how he does in the second half will tell if he deserves a long term contract. He has run out of gas before.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He's been better this season than any previous ones as a Leaf, but that's mostly because this is a contract year for him. Next season, he'll be back to his old self. I wouldn't spend more than 5m on him, and I don't care if any other GM is dumb enough to give him a big payout, I wouldn't. I like him on the team, but at a smaller cap hit and maybe not as captain.

I'm sure Carlyle disagrees with you- Phaneuf has been maturing every year here, and espically under Randy. Phaneuf when he came into the league was a one way head hunter who was a liability in his own end, but now he's timing his hits a lot better, sure his offense has dropped a lot but its because he's focusing on doing what he's supposed to do which is playing defense. There IS a reason why he's put out against the big boys of the league and that's because easily he's our best defensive blueliner, this isn't an opinion its a fact, you can hate Phaneuf all you want but there's no denying he's come a long way since his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad