The Star: Dion Phaneuf maturing as captain

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Someone start listing 5 mill D, I swear some people just he talk out of their ass here.

Hoping Phaneuf gets his current deal over 8 or 7-7.5 over 5 years

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
$7 million for 7 years
Or
$7.5 for 6 years

Fair and square!!
I would like to think there would be some home town discount as the captain and wanting the team to be competitive during his extension.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
It seems like Toronto media is trying to sell us on Dion now more then ever, seems kinda odd...lol

Anyways, I think if he wants 7 years he has to give us a lower caphit, otherwise maybe 5 years at 7-7.5 tops. I don't think its a good idea signing him to 7-8 years at a premium caphit.

Yes he's had a good season so far, but the Boston game he got owned by Iginla all game and played soft. Yes it was only 1 game but it was an important game none the less. If you're a #1D in this league, you can't be getting owned by Iginla all game.

tacoburrito

Dec 1, 2009
www.cybernations.net
It seems like Toronto media is trying to sell us on Dion now more then ever, seems kinda odd...lol

Anyways, I think if he wants 7 years he has to give us a lower caphit, otherwise maybe 5 years at 7-7.5 tops. I don't think its a good idea signing him to 7-8 years at a premium caphit.

Yes he's had a good season so far, but the Boston game he got owned by Iginla all game and played soft. Yes it was only 1 game but it was an important game none the less. If you're a #1D in this league, you can't be getting owned by Iginla all game.

one player on one team. im ok if he cant handle iggy aslong as hes shutting down crosby and other stars

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He has amazing games, he has horrible games... that last play on saturday night where he completely gave up really pissed me off. I would keep him at 5 mill, no more.

Oh god... So one little play makes him only a 5M player lmao...Not like the rest of the team was playing that great.

Ace88*

Yeah this is really the first season that he's grabbed the team by the balls and made it his. Good to see that he's a real veteran guy now, a true captain. He's been playing amazing since 2011 though so not sure why the media is only noticing that now. Without Phaneuf we'd probably have 5 wins right now.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007

I don't think you were watching the same game I was. It was arguably his hit in the second period, for example, that changed the momentum of the game in the second period.

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
Reimer and Phaneuf, despite being huge reasons why the team made the playoffs and got to game 7, ironically were the players most blamed. Ridiculous.

Pay the man. 7 x $7mil.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think you were watching the same game I was. It was arguably his hit in the second period, for example, that changed the momentum of the game in the second period.

Actually Clarkson's fight prior the Phaneuf hit that seem to inspire the team.

Phaneuf's big hit following that event seemed to be a fallout benefit result of an adrenaline infusion from Clarkson's fight.

The hit however added to that momentum change and turned the Leafs play around thereafter.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dion needed Carlyle as a coach to stop the nonsense that was occurring prior to Carlyle arriving. It is not a surprise to me that Dion has played his best hockey under Carlyle.

Dion will not get nor does he deserve over 7 million a season.....he will sign for 7M per year if it is a 5 year deal and under 7M if it is over 5 years. This is not a home town discount but his value.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Crazy that people think he's improved over last year.

He was awesome last year.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Leaf fans who regularly follow the team have known for a while now how important Dion is to this team. He plays close to 30 minutes per game, always matched up against the other teams top players, and holds his own quite well. Unfortunately many people like to focus on 6.5 million contract that he signed in Calgary, forgetting the spare parts given up to acquire him. He's a solid captain but once in a while he'll have one of those games where nothing is going right, but those are rare and unfortunately one of those games happened in the playoffs when everyone was watching. Dion is the man, and not re-signing would be a huge mistake, I'm confident that Nonis and his staff realize the importance of Phaneuf and will make sure he's locked up long term, he's earned it, and he deserves it.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I said early into the season in the Norris thread that he deserves to be in consideration and will be a serious contender for it by year's end.

I was laughed at and not even given the time of day.

BayStreetBullies*

I said early into the season in the Norris thread that he deserves to be in consideration and will be a serious contender for it by year's end.

I was laughed at and not even given the time of day.

Those are the same people voting for the likes of Dougie Hamilton and Brian Campbell to win the Norris. So their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
Even during this rough stretch the Captain is still holding his own and remains consistently solid.

BayStreetBullies*

Even during this rough stretch the Captain is still holding his own and remains consistently solid.

This. Pay him, pay that money his money. Even hire this guy to count it all

countvoncount.jpg

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
no this time around.....I agree Everlong...our goalies have been our heroes this time around.
I think our work in the defensive zone is playing a much greater roles than our goalies. We've seen both Bernier and Reimer give up really weak shots. I don't see prodigy goaltending here, just above average.

I was never really a fan of Carlyle's signing, but his D-zone game is very effective. It works even though our D core aren't very physical and that obviously doesn't help. We should be wearing down our opposition if we're going to be collapsing into the defensive zone in order to obstruct lanes.

Phaneuf is clearly the most important player on the team. He's more important than both Bernier and Riemer, who wouldn't perform as well if being a sole #1 tender. We're going to see him signed for $6.5-7.1 million long-term, and it'll be worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad