Dion Phaneuf discussion thread

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The core that just pulled off one of the most historical chokes in hockey ever?
The core was able to take Boston to game 7. It happens. The Bruins choked and we didn't see the team dismantled.

Thank goodness, we have a solid administration and not reactionaries running our administration.

Color me less than thrilled that we're going to be seeing a lot more of these bozos in the same roles going forward, but more expensive, without a legitimate plan to improve beyond the capabilities of what any other team can also do.
You may as well watch another team or wait for that Toronto-based expansion team. We're going to see the core remain the same and I don't mind it at all. The same applies to most Leaf fans as well. :)

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It would be nice to get a better defender than Phaneuf.

It would be easier just to get some NHL capable defenders to relieve Phaneuf of the ice time he's been playing.

Phaneuf - ?
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
? - Franson

Perhaps in another year:

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Granberg - Franson
I don't think "better" in defence is the right word. When it comes to taking on toughest competition, he is amongst the best in the league. What he needs is someone who can make a competent first pass.

Phaneuf will still be used against the top lines, because he produces against them. He just needs someone who can move the puck out of the zone better than him. Franson would be a good partner, especially if faster, but he's doing a great job sheltering Gardiner.

The Gardiner - Franson pairing is excellent. Gards has access to a peripheral attacker, and someone who can cover him defensively. I can see Randy insulating him well, because good production out of him is going to help us go far.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
Just because Phaneuf can play top pairing minutes doesn't mean he should or is good at it.

Finally somebody gets it. Minuets dont really mean anything if they are crappy. I could go out there and scate around the ice for 27 min.....does that mean i'm an elite NHL d-man. No that means my team basically played a man down for 27 min. The way most of you talk, because he plays so many min he is our best D man and a god. Instead of looking at stats and min, actually watch the game and you will see how many turnovers, stupid plays and how caught out of position he is.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Finally somebody gets it. Minuets dont really mean anything if they are crappy. I could go out there and scate around the ice for 27 min.....does that mean i'm an elite NHL d-man. No that means my team basically played a man down for 27 min. The way most of you talk, because he plays so many min he is our best D man and a god. Instead of looking at stats and min, actually watch the game and you will see how many turnovers, stupid plays and how caught out of position he is.

And we're back to the old 'if you watch hockey' argument....

I watch. His minutes ARE good and he is no more prone to lapses than any other top defenseman. He plays so many minute because he IS our best defenseman and one of the better ones currently playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad