Different commentators again

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Now we have Paul Romanuk, Healey and whoever the 3rd guys is...

Familiarity is dead. It used to be that you'd tune in to Saturday games and be familiar with the set, with the commentators, with the personalities. Bob Cole and Harry Neale for years, then Hughson and Simposn for years.... now it's one big crapshoot and there's no way to become accustomed to the broadcast any more because there's no way to know who's going to be there. Is that what Rogers wants for whatever reason? Leave it to them to go meddling around and f-ing everything up.

It's like an alienated feeling now, I feel more detached from these Saturday night games. It seems a lot more 'corporate' now. Used to be more like a personal experience with CBC, but they threw that out the window. You used to know who the commentators were going to be, and you'd know that they'd deliver an exciting broadcast. But now, you might get a good play-by-play guy, but you might also get a guy who can't deliver excitement (whatever your opinion might be for each guy). So there's no guarantee anymore that you're going to see a game where they can deliver excitement in their calls. Sucks, but we all knew this was going to be the case once Rogers took over

officialmark*

Yeah this Romanchuk sucks, 3 shifts in and he calls Phaneuf Franson.

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
It feels like a Tuesday night game on Leafs TV or something. The special Saturday night game I grew up with is dead.

LeafsFIO*

he has a good voice and I like Romanuk actually but you're right, Hughson is perfect with his voice tone (raising it when there's a big play) and he keeps getting guys names wrong

then he had his stupid anti-war comment at the beginning of the game tn i dont care what your political views are if you are announcing a game but leave your opinion out of it and grow up

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Romanuk can't tell the difference between players. In the 1st period, he literally called Kadri, Franson. How does one even do that? Kadri is small, left handed, and even has darker skin! Then you got Franson, 6'5 and Right handed... not sure how you confuse these two.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I love anyone who isn't Hughson

Make this guy our new saturday night guy and I will switch my phone to Robers

Finnleaf81

Mar 30, 2013
Finland
I usually pay much attention to commentators as English is'nt my fluen language. But Romamcuk got my attention when he called Kadri a Bozak and was lost all the game during pre-season game. Yeah, Romancuk sucks.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I never thought I'd miss Joe Bowen as much as I do. Between Romanuk and Hughson there is no personality in these telecasts.

SourGrapes

You Kids Out There
Dec 30, 2013
Mimico
Love Romanuk for the Spengler Cup. This, not so much. These past few years have made me miss Bob Cole even more. Probably the last of the great commentators, it's a crying shame we're wasting his final years in Arizona calling Coyotes home games. He should be given the national game and the Cup finals.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
I had no problem with the broadcast tonight. They muted or kept Healy down tonight. Romanuk loves the game, you can tell he's excited for the Leafs overall.

Easily take Romanuk over Hughson.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I thought Romanuk was pretty good tonight. He seemed to bring a lot more energy to his calls. Not to the annoying level Bowen gets to, but more exciting than Hughson at the same time.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
where's Bowen? Did they pull him off TV completely? Aside from his homerism, he can call a great game with the best of them. So of course... cue Rogers - and yank him off the air. Idiots

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pretty much. Saturday's used to feel special under CBC.

Yes, I really miss the old CBC version! :nod:

I also miss the HNIC from my youth! ;)

Foster Hewitt / Danny Gallivan / Dick Irvin Jr. / Dan Kelly etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5