Die Hard Oilers Fan - Dying hard

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not a single person is saying that they care THAT little. We're just saying that the constant Oilers reading, game-watching, OilersTV-viewing, etc. is no longer all that justifiable. All this stuff didn't exist in the 80s, and most games weren't televised. Does that mean that people then were less fans? No. It's just a matter of prioritizing things in one's life.

The OIlers having such a hold on people isn't justifiable even if the team was winning. its ridiculous what people are posting on here.

a) family should never come second to the Oilers.
b) that fanatic devotion means you deserve something from the Oilers. You don't. There's 29 other teams all trying to be the best - nothing is guaranteed.
c) the moaning that the Oilers losing have driven such fans to other interests - such as family, career etc. Wow. what a concept. Perhaps that's for the best.
d) The Oilers are an entertainment company. Not a spiritual or religious experience.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
the oilers having such a hold on people isn't justifiable even if the team was winning. Its ridiculous what people are posting on here.

A) family should never come second to the oilers.
B) that fanatic devotion means you deserve something from the oilers. You don't. There's 29 other teams all trying to be the best - nothing is guaranteed.
C) the moaning that the oilers losing have driven such fans to other interests - such as family, career etc. Wow. What a concept. Perhaps that's for the best.
D) the oilers are an entertainment company. Not a spiritual or religious experience.

shun the non believer

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Yes, I can relate. More than that, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I have been a good and true fan for over 30 years. When the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup on that Saturday night in 1984, I was on the front page of the Edmonton Sun the next morning.. along with about 10,000 of my fellow fanatics at the intersection of Jasper Ave and 101st street. A city fell in love with a hockey team that night, and I fell in love with a city.

I have been loyal and true since that time. Like you, the games were not just something to watch. They were a part of my fabric, something I identified with as a part of the person I was. That may be wrong, that may be sad or inexplicable, but it is what it is. I can't help it.

Of course I still watch the games and I still wear the logo. I always will. But the fun is gone now, after losing season upon losing season. But you know something? It isn't just the losing that has soured me, and taken me from the edge of my seat to the other side of the room to do something else while I listen to the game in the background. It's the way this organization, and sometimes its fan base, has conducted itself during that time. It's the Kevin Lowe snotty press conference. It's the incessant hiring into roles of influence alumni with no pedigree save their playing days. It's the embarrassing way Sheldon Souray and others have been treated on their way out of town. It's the way the city turned the Chris Pronger situation personal and cruel (and you're kidding yourself if you think other players around the league don't notice crap like that). It's the head coach revolving door, the poor scouting, the unfulfilled draft picks. It's the culture of losing that has been so much a part of this franchise for so long. It's not just that we've been bad, it's the way we've been bad.

It may get better, and we can only hope it will eventually. But maybe that day is farther away than we like to think it is, all things considered. For now I miss the way it used to be. I miss being proud of the Oilers.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
My answers are in order of the bolded statements in your post.

1) What the heck are you talking about?
2) I am in the same boat as you, I am constantly on here and other forums, reading about all the news I can find on the Oilers.
3) That's just ridiculous
4) I'm not saying fans should 'obsess' over the games. In fact, that's kind of what I'm saying people shouldn't do. It's that obsession that leads to people going crazy on these boards. Do I make an attempt to watch any and all oiler games? Yes. Do I rearrange my life in order to do so? No.

It just seems like people here assume it's some right as a fan to have their team win. So if they aren't winning, you get uppity and *****y. If you aren't going to give them your undivided attention that's fine, but like I'll say for the 3rd time now, when people go so far as to say that they'd rather see the team disbanded than play here, it is ridiculous.

*finished my essay, woohoo!*

I'm with you on that one. I think I, and others, are moving to where you are. Namely, less invested in the Oilers. still a fan, still a follower, but from a further distance. I will endeavor to find/develop a new passion. the Oilers just are not doing it anymore. maybe i'll take up playing drums and go jam on Saturday nites.

as for not understanding the battered wife thing: a battered wife knows she will continue to get beaten, but she never leaves because she loves him. sound familiar?

Rains

Jun 22, 2012
Fernie BC

I have been a good and true fan for over 30 years. When the Oilers won their first Stanley Cup on that Saturday night in 1984, I was on the front page of the Edmonton Sun the next morning.. along with about 10,000 of my fellow fanatics at the intersection of Jasper Ave and 101st street. A city fell in love with a hockey team that night, and I fell in love with a city.

I have been loyal and true since that time. Like you, the games were not just something to watch. They were a part of my fabric, something I identified with as a part of the person I was. That may be wrong, that may be sad or inexplicable, but it is what it is. I can't help it.

Of course I still watch the games and I still wear the logo. I always will. But the fun is gone now, after losing season upon losing season. But you know something? It isn't just the losing that has soured me, and taken me from the edge of my seat to the other side of the room to do something else while I listen to the game in the background. It's the way this organization, and sometimes its fan base, has conducted itself during that time. It's the Kevin Lowe snotty press conference. It's the incessant hiring into roles of influence alumni with no pedigree save their playing days. It's the embarrassing way Sheldon Souray and others have been treated on their way out of town. It's the way the city turned the Chris Pronger situation personal and cruel (and you're kidding yourself if you think other players around the league don't notice crap like that). It's the head coach revolving door, the poor scouting, the unfulfilled draft picks. It's the culture of losing that has been so much a part of this franchise for so long. It's not just that we've been bad, it's the way we've been bad.

It may get better, and we can only hope it will eventually. But maybe that day is farther away than we like to think it is, all things considered. For now I miss the way it used to be. I miss being proud of the Oilers.

Wow, this was exactly the rest of my story I wanted to write, I just got to depressed to write it, LOL Thankyou

Rains

Jun 22, 2012
Fernie BC
I knew writing this that it was going to be more relatable to a certain age group, not taken anything away from the younger crowd. At my age you kinda have a type of history/experience with this team. It's like you already know how things are going to go down, especially over the last 10 years, and that is what is most damaging to my Oiler brittle mind.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
posted this in the PGT...

I'm at the point now where these small victories in certain situations/after certain games mean little to nothing for me. Ultimately this team, this whole organization needs to shape up, grow up, and stop playing Mickey Mouse... never was one for a "sell the farm" type of deal but this franchise needs a game changer, an about face sort of moment, something to help turn the tides... cuz the sentiment in the viewing public, whether it be hardcore fan, casual fan, non fan is that this team is a bit of a joke and that things are taking longer than normal to culminate. It's not a good look for the city as essentially it's the one big thing they have going for them... going off on a bit of a tangent but I would be in favour of making a deal for Shea Weber. Thy have to move one of the kids, I think the only true untouchable would be RNH... other than that I could care less.

I'm just beyond frustrated, living and dying with this team. Something's gotta give. They got to get better defensively, they need better goaltending, they need to play better away from the puck. It's all just incredibly slow burning and painful to watch.

And don't get me wron I'm able to function normally away from the games and all the mess and gongshow that this team can be, I go to work, I have my relationships and I currently have a pretty good life but I want this team and this city to succeed badly. They need a serious upgrade in talent on the back end, they need to get more rugged, they need to have someone who can initiate and not simply react.

Last edited:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Exactly the way I feel. I remember the good old days as well. This pile of stink sucks. I'm already skipping watching games, and not PVR'ing them anymore either.

This is just depressing. It's not even November yet, and this season is done.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I knew writing this that it was going to be more relatable to a certain age group, not taken anything away from the younger crowd. At my age you kinda have a type of history/experience with this team. It's like you already know how things are going to go down, especially over the last 10 years, and that is what is most damaging to my Oiler brittle mind.

At least you remember what a great team was...I'm 30 and vaguely remember the Cup win of 1990
the Oilers haven't won a division title since 87....I was 4

most of my history consists of Pocklington threatening to move the team to Houston and Les Alexander and the EIG saving the franchise

on the ice it's been Todd Marchant's OT goal in '97 and the 2006 miracle run...thats it...in 20 years

other than that, failure's in ownership (Katz), management (Lowe) and the players (7 going on 8 years of awful awful hockey) have led us to become a laughing stock

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I became an Oilers fan as a young boy and was the luckiest 8 year old in the world when I watched the Oilers live hoist the cup for the first time in '84. Since then I became a die hard Oilers fan. Growing up I was the kid that would watch the Oilers on tv first, then play with friends. Girlfriends weren't allowed to come over till the game was over. As I became older and married I would lock myself in the man cave so no one could bother me. Wife knew not to talk to me after an Oilers lost. I would watch highlights on every sports network over and over again, and so on. You get the point I was basically obsessed. There was always that hope the Oilers would get back to promise land and bring back Stanley. Year after year there was that excitement and that one or two players that would get you thinking that just maybe we might make a run.

Fast forward to today 25 years later and with exception to a one off unbelievable run in '06 I find myself as a Die Hard Oilers fan who is dying hard. Rushing home from down town to get ready for the game isn't as important, I watch the games on the upstairs tv now, if the kids change the channel to Toopy and Binoo I don't get mad. I find myself getting up from the couch to do something else, and if the Oilers get scored on with in five minutes of the game I just turn the tv off. Basically the 'ol promise of "this is the year" "all the young guns" and "compete for the playoffs" just doesn't work anymore. I actually can't believe I'm saying this but watching Oiler hockey just doesn't matter anymore, two wins in a row or a five point night by one of the "stars" doesn't even do anything for me. I lost my passion some where along the years and my once title of Die hard Fan is lost to a underachieving, below average, promise of "this is the year" hockey team.

Is it just me or can others relate to my pain?

As a Toronto fan I can relate. Things need to change with good management. As much as people criticized Burke, he totally changed the outlook of the Leafs from the JFJ disaster years by making bold moves to upgrade the team's talent. The toughness came after Carlyle was hired. He was willing to implement a system where team toughness became part of the team's identity. Dallas Eakins is a coach that preaches team toughness, but management has to get those players. They will have to make some bold moves to get bigger and meaner. Some young talent/draft picks will have to be sacrificed to help build the team in this fashion.:rant:

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I don't know who to compare the squad to... We are still the rebuilding team. Some other teams take a year to "re-tool". Some teams fill their needs in free agency. A few veteran teams that do well with systems. Our free agents are other teams scrap. Does Justin Schultz walk out on Anahiem if Cam Fowler was a bust? Signs in Edmonton for the most amount of money they could give him. Edmonton threw more money at Clarkson than Toronto by far. Just after they said they weren't going silly in the free agent silly season. Look where we drafted Eberle. Now look at Hertl. remember Skinner? Karlsson at 15 overall... Yes we've drafted first overall, but that doesn't mean other teams aren't getting better. So even with maturity, at what point are we on the other side of the fence? At what point does the skill overcome the physical dominance? The writing was on the wall the whole way. We heard it in every draft. Size and Skill, highly coveted. Yes, they are getting better... But its a fairly young NHL, and every other team is getting better too. But its coming time to look at the cupboard and follow suit with the Perron deal... Who wants to re-build? let them! Chicago got out of their slump by living in the basement, coming out, and signing hossa. We are not the team about to sign Hossa. Pittsburgh got lucky. Lucic, Bergeron, Krejci... all players drafted late 1st round if not later. Kessel from a "re-tooling" year. Thornton got them nothing! We have the team trying to re-invent the wheel as its trying to run them over. And 29 other teams find it hilarious.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
If I back away, I see myself lucky that my team got to win (and win big) during my lifetime.

There are some fans who will have cheered their whole lives and never got to see a trophy or even a final.

That being said, I get too emotional when watching games and the losing has me watching less.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I have to say, as a Canuck fan, reading through this thread is a bit amusing to me. I'm about the same age as the OP, you guys have no idea what suffering is when it comes to following a team. Sure, we've had a bit more success in recent years, but what did that get us? Another kick in the nuts game 7 Finals loss to go with our '94 game 7 loss & our false hope '82 run. My Grandfather never saw a Cup win, my Father will likely never see a Cup win before he goes, and the way it's going, I probably won't either. That's 3 generations of losing and nothing but losing! :laugh:

And to the OP, it sounds like you've just reached the age when you start to realize that, although it's great entertainment, in the grand scheme of things hockey isn't all that important. When you're younger these extraneous things have more meaning because you haven't gone through much to put it into perspective. I say that as someone who still plays and loves hockey.

I would actually be more worried if you cared the exact same amount as when you were eight years old.

I know this board isn't all that thrilled with outsiders posting (especially Canuck fans), so feel free to delete if you deem necessary mods.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
Wow OP, you pretty much summed up my own story (down to the Toopy and Binoo part LOL).., I even showed your post to my wife. I'm frustrated as much as anyone, investing so much of my time to this team yet being let down by crushing/humiliating defeat after defeat, year after year.

Even worse is being in another hockey city and being reminded of this kind of suck. Like today on Ottawa radio they were talking about Ryan Miller's no-trade list of teams, and then they mentioned Edmonton as a team that there was no doubt about being on it. A minute later they switch topics and talk about their Senators and suddenly mention how they thought the Oilers game last week was a definite win. On top of that, they're all depressed because their team is only 4-5-1. Geez that would be seen as a moderately successful start for the Oilers. I'm constantly being reminded of how bad we have it.

It's just a crappy feeling, I hate it but there is nothing you can do about all those statements and jokes because you KNOW they are right. ****.

P.S. I still go to the games when they come to Ottawa.

Last edited:

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site

Another great post and really hits at how I feel about the team as well. What I found particularly troubling were the disgusting personal comments towards players such as Souray, Pronger, Comrie etc. Kevin Lowe has burnt so many bridges yet I still read fans defend the guy is if he has no responsibility for this garbage dump of a team. I've been an Oilers fan since 84 and that will never change, but don't kid yourself for one second I have any faith in our management to turn it around. I still believe the fans will turn against the team in droves especially if we are in the bottom five again this year. Replacement made a good point, I do not see as many postings as I used to in the past and frankly the amount of homers from bloggers to journalists who continually defend the team is not having the desired effect.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
"Failure is the condiment that gives success it's failure."

If we start winning, I expect all of you to have multiple orgasms.

There's a big difference between winning and being able to win and win consistently against power house teams. I seriously don't think it will ever happen. Oh well, at least I have the glory years to relive in my head until I croak. lol

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have to say, as a Canuck fan, reading through this thread is a bit amusing to me. I'm about the same age as the OP, you guys have no idea what suffering is when it comes to following a team. Sure, we've had a bit more success in recent years, but what did that get us? Another kick in the nuts game 7 Finals loss to go with our '94 game 7 loss & our false hope '82 run. My Grandfather never saw a Cup win, my Father will likely never see a Cup win before he goes, and the way it's going, I probably won't either. That's 3 generations of losing and nothing but losing! :laugh:

And to the OP, it sounds like you've just reached the age when you start to realize that, although it's great entertainment, in the grand scheme of things hockey isn't all that important. When you're younger these extraneous things have more meaning because you haven't gone through much to put it into perspective. I say that as someone who still plays and loves hockey.

I would actually be more worried if you cared the exact same amount as when you were eight years old.

I know this board isn't all that thrilled with outsiders posting (especially Canuck fans), so feel free to delete if you deem necessary mods.

Nothing wrong with other fans posting here. It's just when people come here to attack the Oilers its not well received.

It's tough as a younger fan. I was a newborn the last time the Oilers won the cup, so I'm in the same boat as you. It sucks to look at all the talent on this team and how passionate all the fans are, and see continual failure. We don't even have the playoffs to give us hope though. You know it's bad when we're discussing at what point we'll be out of the playoff race instead of whether or not we'll make it

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The OIlers having such a hold on people isn't justifiable even if the team was winning. its ridiculous what people are posting on here.

b) that fanatic devotion means you deserve something from the Oilers. You don't. There's 29 other teams all trying to be the best - nothing is guaranteed.
c) the moaning that the Oilers losing have driven such fans to other interests - such as family, career etc. Wow. what a concept. Perhaps that's for the best.
d) The Oilers are an entertainment company. Not a spiritual or religious experience.
Exactly. Well said.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

you are right, it is for the best. you see, its like this: it took the Oilers being so lousy for so long which resulted in me (and obviously many others) getting so angry and depressed, that I have finally realized that I am nothing but the equivalent to a WOW addict, or a Dundgeons and Dragons nerd.

We are hockey/Oiler addicts. and it is time to get a life. the Oilers are nolonger a good high. I need a neeeeewwww drug.

Last edited:

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

Pretty much the way I see it. I'm 32 and remember watching some of the glory years, and have been a fan of other sports as well with peaks and valleys (Chicago Bulls).

I can't put my finger on it, but I have long since been able to get the same elation from wins no matter what, without letting losses bother me. I don't have children, but I imagine my support for the Oilers is akin to watching my kids play a sport: Unconditional.

And while there are moments where I recognize mistakes and can be baffled or whatever, it's never long term (i.e. literally at the moment) and I still find enjoyment at small things.

It's been like this pretty much since I got back into hockey (Marchant goal in '97). It's a sport, and it's hella fun when those moments happen. When they're not happening though, shields are set to full. It just doesn't bother me.

But we could be 0-50-0 on a season, and I'm still happy for them if they pull out a gutsy 4-3, back from down 0-3 win for their first win of the season. And even if I am frustrated at a game, you'll never hear me boo or talk **** about the team, since I don't think it's worth the effort, and when it gets too intense it actually undermines the team - I have gone on rants on booing in the past. It's purely a catharsis for the fan doing it and anyone that justifies it by "sending a message" that otherwise wouldn't be heard, is lying to themselves. I have played enough sports to know that losing ****ing sucks.

That said, if you're finding yourself frustrated/angry, yeah take some space and gain some perspective. Get to a spot where the wins make you happy, and the losses aren't a negative thing in your life. You're watching a sport for entertainment so feel free to enjoy it.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

i think the reason this thread even exists is because, at this moment, we are experience the deepest depths of despair... the realization that the last 4 years of tough times is not working and might not ever work. we all believed (who wouldn't) that 3 first overalls would guarantee a cup contender. how wrong we were.

it's like watching your dream business never get off the ground, and finally, you just cut your losses and walk away.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
i think the reason this thread even exists is because, at this moment, we are experience the deepest depths of despair... the realization that the last 4 years of tough times is not working and might not ever work. we all believed (who wouldn't) that 3 first overalls would guarantee a cup contender. how wrong we were.

it's like watching your dream business never get off the ground, and finally, you just cut your losses and walk away.

The bolded make me thing of Dante's Inferno, "Give up all hope ye who enter here". I pray this isn't a nine year rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad