Die Hard Oilers Fan - Dying hard

Rains

Jun 22, 2012
Fernie BC
I became an Oilers fan as a young boy and was the luckiest 8 year old in the world when I watched the Oilers live hoist the cup for the first time in '84. Since then I became a die hard Oilers fan. Growing up I was the kid that would watch the Oilers on tv first, then play with friends. Girlfriends weren't allowed to come over till the game was over. As I became older and married I would lock myself in the man cave so no one could bother me. Wife knew not to talk to me after an Oilers lost. I would watch highlights on every sports network over and over again, and so on. You get the point I was basically obsessed. There was always that hope the Oilers would get back to promise land and bring back Stanley. Year after year there was that excitement and that one or two players that would get you thinking that just maybe we might make a run.

Fast forward to today 25 years later and with exception to a one off unbelievable run in '06 I find myself as a Die Hard Oilers fan who is dying hard. Rushing home from down town to get ready for the game isn't as important, I watch the games on the upstairs tv now, if the kids change the channel to Toopy and Binoo I don't get mad. I find myself getting up from the couch to do something else, and if the Oilers get scored on with in five minutes of the game I just turn the tv off. Basically the 'ol promise of "this is the year" "all the young guns" and "compete for the playoffs" just doesn't work anymore. I actually can't believe I'm saying this but watching Oiler hockey just doesn't matter anymore, two wins in a row or a five point night by one of the "stars" doesn't even do anything for me. I lost my passion some where along the years and my once title of Die hard Fan is lost to a underachieving, below average, promise of "this is the year" hockey team.

Is it just me or can others relate to my pain?

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Yes I can. I was a bit older when they won in 84 but I have generationalized (is that a word??) it now! I have raised four Oilers fans never having lived closer to Edmonton than the time we spent in Toronto. Even they are about at the end of their patience!:help:

Oct 30, 2011
Cheer hard when they're winning.

Cheer harder when they need support.

This is how I feel when I am at the game, but I certainly empathize with OP.

It's going to take some winning to get people really excited again. A playoff berth would make all the difference.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like you I got to see some of the 80s run, but the 88 and 90 Cups were the ones I really remember (I do remember the 84 or 85 Cup vaguely).

I feel worse for the younger fans who never even got to the see the 80s-90 team ... they've had nothing but 2006 and maybe the temporary rush of 1997/98.

I think the Oilers are pushing the limits of their fanbase, if the situation was the same in Calgary or Vancouver, I guarantee you'd see a lot of empty seats in the arena for a period of suck this long.

Dave

Oct 27, 2009
I can very much relate.

Games used to have 100% of my attention, I would pretty much block everything out when games were on. Now? Games are an after thought. Sure I still 'watch' them, but they're secondary now. I'll either be reading or on the computer with the game on in the background, sometimes I have it muted. And I couldn't really care less if I missed a game, and a large portion of the games I just stop watching part way through and go do something else.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
I became an Oilers fan as a young boy and was the luckiest 8 year old in the world when I watched the Oilers live hoist the cup for the first time in '84. Since then I became a die hard Oilers fan. Growing up I was the kid that would watch the Oilers on tv first, then play with friends. Girlfriends weren't allowed to come over till the game was over. As I became older and married I would lock myself in the man cave so no one could bother me. Wife knew not to talk to me after an Oilers lost. I would watch highlights on every sports network over and over again, and so on. You get the point I was basically obsessed. There was always that hope the Oilers would get back to promise land and bring back Stanley. Year after year there was that excitement and that one or two players that would get you thinking that just maybe we might make a run.

Fast forward to today 25 years later and with exception to a one off unbelievable run in '06 I find myself as a Die Hard Oilers fan who is dying hard. Rushing home from down town to get ready for the game isn't as important, I watch the games on the upstairs tv now, if the kids change the channel to Toopy and Binoo I don't get mad. I find myself getting up from the couch to do something else, and if the Oilers get scored on with in five minutes of the game I just turn the tv off. Basically the 'ol promise of "this is the year" "all the young guns" and "compete for the playoffs" just doesn't work anymore. I actually can't believe I'm saying this but watching Oiler hockey just doesn't matter anymore, two wins in a row or a five point night by one of the "stars" doesn't even do anything for me. I lost my passion some where along the years and my once title of Die hard Fan is lost to a underachieving, below average, promise of "this is the year" hockey team.

you're basically me. so much time and resources i have put into this team, and it's just the same ***** over and over.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Yep. Tonight they play L.A. and I will only half watch what's going on. We pretty much know they are going to lose, and being in year 4 of this rebuild and in year 20 of sucking it is taking its toll.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Sorry to hear this man. I'm still going strong but I've got a massive tolerance for dealing with ******** and denial is my best friend:yo:

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I really only became a dedicated fan who followed the team's every transaction after the lockout. That year of course we came within one win of winning the Stanley Cup and I've been completely hooked ever since. Unfortunately for me that's the only time I've ever been able to watch my team be good.

This year I've found myself turning off the game before it's over more often than not which is something I'd almost never do before. I've even lost interest in the rest of the NHL since watching teams do well just reminds of how bad the Oilers are.

I think I say it every year but next year I'm not falling into the "this is our year" trap. (Doubtful)

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I agree with op. Same here hardly watch a game anymore although I did attend the game yesterday. It's tough but when I look at the makeup of this team it still wouldn't hurt to get more talent at the bottom of the draft when I comparing them to Colorado we still have gaps and that's not Ben taking into account the goaltending situation.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Just like the last few(few.. who am I kidding) years... I start to lose interest pretty quick when the losses pile up. I can't continue to watch a team who goes through the motions.

I still watch some of most games... and usually all of what I think are big games.. but I have no problem letting the wife watch what she wants instead. This team simply stinks. We are the lowest of the low. This team oozes loser.

The freaking flames are making us look like chumps. There is no more pride left in this team. Big changes need to be made. Everyone should be on the table for the right trade.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My condolences as well. Share some of the feelings.

I think there'd be 10 times as many posts and responses in this thread were it not for the fact that people have tuned out. The activity around here has just nosedived over the last year or so.

Unfortunately, and I hate being right on this but INTENTIONALLY tanking so that you can plan on having the worst team in the NHL results in having one of the worst teams in the NHL. Fail not being a very hard thing to accomplish. :p:

Who knew?

I always wondered how this team would get much better once it had succeeded in prolonged fail.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
a playoff birth just seems so far away guys.....it seems like the gift we always wanted as kids on christmas, but we know we'd never get.

I actually cant tell u how depressed I become when i see all the opening home games during the playoffs on tv. it rips me up inside, makes me wanna cry.

I care too much about this stupid hockey team, to the point where their success affects my every day functioning

dem

Mar 17, 2002
The Oilers rebuild plan is like a crockpot... just let it sit for a good long while... eventually it will be sort of edible... right??

:shakehead

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
Agreed with most points people have brought up here, its a real shame. Unfortunately and this is my own opinion that Katz has been a disaster of an owner for this team. I believe in some ways he is still living in the eighties and hiring ex Oilers instead of searching for the best is going to hurt this team for many years to come. Honestly, I have watched every game but one, the last one in Phoenix and will miss the game tonight which all I can say to that is Oh well. I don't get the constant stats,guys bring up stating the team is better however there is one stat which keeps coming up which I do believe. That is the odds of the Oilers making the playoffs are heavily against them which if the losing continues will most likely mean I could be tuning out by December, a first for me.
The other issue I have are the constant excuses from the team, their media and some fans. Expect to lose after a long road trip, expect to lose on a back to back the litany of excuses is embarrassing and probably a reason the most diehard fans are finding other ways to entertain themselves. I have read the constant, well the fans will keep coming out. I don't believe that and if the Oilers organization spins its wheels again this year I expect to start seeing many more empty seats in Rexall.

DJsquared

Aug 25, 2013
been an die hard oil fan since i was a young child learning how to speak running around the house yelling CHARLIE HUDDY. Although I feel the same as most here do, I can't stop hoping. Even though I know it's pointless. I try to watch most of the games, scheduling with work permitting, but find myself turning off the t.v a lot quicker then I would have in the 90's when we were fighting for playoffs, or even completely out of them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This gif kinda sums up my range of emotions this year

nicholas-cage-laughing.gif

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed with most points people have brought up here, its a real shame. Unfortunately and this is my own opinion that Katz has been a disaster of an owner for this team. I believe in some ways he is still living in the eighties and hiring ex Oilers instead of searching for the best is going to hurt this team for many years to come. Honestly, I have watched every game but one, the last one in Phoenix and will miss the game tonight which all I can say to that is Oh well. I don't get the constant stats,guys bring up stating the team is better however there is one stat which keeps coming up which I do believe. That is the odds of the Oilers making the playoffs are heavily against them which if the losing continues will most likely mean I could be tuning out by December, a first for me.
The other issue I have are the constant excuses from the team, their media and some fans. Expect to lose after a long road trip, expect to lose on a back to back the litany of excuses is embarrassing and probably a reason the most diehard fans are finding other ways to entertain themselves. I have read the constant, well the fans will keep coming out. I don't believe that and if the Oilers organization spins its wheels again this year I expect to start seeing many more empty seats in Rexall.

I remember actually feeling sorry for Hawks fans when Bill Wirtz was wrecking a once proud club. His actions seemed despicable at the time. I thought no owner could ever do worse..

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Last year was the first time I ever turned down free tickets, and I'll be doing the same this year. No interest in pissing away money to watch the team. (tickets are free but the rest of the costs are there)

I still watch basically every game online (until I shut it off in disgust) but if I have something else to do I'll generally just have it on as background noise unless it's late in the third and close etc.

Once this team gets good again that will change, but for now it is what it is. It's entertainment and right now there are other things which are more entertaining, and when that changes down the road then I'll give back some more of my time to the team.

HemksyCares

Sep 29, 2013
A true diehard fan supports the team regardless of their record. At 5 years old, thanks to posters, trading cards, and Bo Jackson, my teams were chosen. It may not be "easy" being a maverick, astro, raider, and oiler fan, but that's part of the fun of being a fanatic. If cheering for a winner, or even a consistent contender, is a priority then there are plenty of teams that could use your support.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
A true diehard fan supports the team regardless of their record. At 5 years old, thanks to posters, trading cards, and Bo Jackson, my teams were chosen. It may not be "easy" being a maverick, astro, raider, and oiler fan, but that's part of the fun of being a fanatic. If cheering for a winner, or even a consistent contender, is a priority then there are plenty of teams that could use your support.

Oh for sure, but there's no denying it gets tougher after years of terrible play, and now a longer playoff drought than even the Leafs

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
36 years old and know exactly what you mean.

I lost a lot of interest during the Ryan Smyth years partly cause the team sucked partly because the NHL sucked. All clutch and grab, terrible expansion teams, etc...

Came back after they fixed the NHL and was loving it...

But now I am so sick of the Oilers losing I think it's time to take a break from hockey again.

The Oilers suck. Fundamentally suck. Suck so bad it's scary. I can't root for a team that has all the skill in the world, all the talent it could ever dream of and is content to just collect pay checks and suck.

$%^& you Oilers. No excuses. You suck.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Like you I got to see some of the 80s run, but the 88 and 90 Cups were the ones I really remember (I do remember the 84 or 85 Cup vaguely).

I feel worse for the younger fans who never even got to the see the 80s-90 team ... they've had nothing but 2006 and maybe the temporary rush of 1997/98.

I think the Oilers are pushing the limits of their fanbase, if the situation was the same in Calgary or Vancouver, I guarantee you'd see a lot of empty seats in the arena for a period of suck this long.

There are no limits.

Pay for a new arena so we can continue to watch a lousy team, worship an owner that has sunk this team to the worst depths ever seen and yet still sold out crowds and thousands on waiting lists. Lotteries for minipacs for crying out loud.

This is Edmonton, huge disposable income, people looking for things to do in winter, and the youngest demographic and average age in Canada. As mentioned by Harpoon in another thread having year after year of high picks actually improves the bottom line and merchandise sales. Similarly having a club in continual disarray and an airlift of new players every year only further improves merchandise sales.

This market is supportive of prospects and young players and continues to want them results notwithstanding.

This market just voted in a very young mayor. The young come to work here and it works to be young here.

hmminvisiblecola1279

there are kids in it
Jul 9, 2002
no thanks
Visit site
I remember actually feeling sorry for Hawks fans when Bill Wirtz was wrecking a once proud club. His actions seemed despicable at the time. I thought no owner could ever do worse..

Absolutely Replacement and why I keep beating that same drum game after game now. If Katz was serious about bringing a championship to this city he would have put his personal friendships aside. He is and will be a disaster for the Oilers and the worst part is we are stuck with him for many years. It is pure incompetence we are again in the leagues basement and right now the only team that I see worse is Buffalo. It is not acceptable for this team to be in the basement again and if nothing changes, I can't see how fans will keep supporting such crap. It is happening to the Eskimos speaking of a franchise that needs to wake the **** up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad