Did Weber signing an offer sheet have any impact on his being traded?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think I've heard anyone bring this up. Obviously the reasoning behind the Subban trade got a ton of attention and speculation, but what about the trading of Shea Weber?

I think a lot of people believe Subban is the better player of the two, but nonetheless, do you think Weber having signed an offer sheet - which effectively means he agreed to play for another team and could be construed as him not necessarily wanting to play in Nashville - impacted the ultimate decision to trade Shea Weber?

Do you think Weber would have been traded regardless of his signing of that offer sheet?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It undoubtedly made a difference. Nashville didn't want him on a contract like that.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I think it's more that P.K. is really good and Shea Weber isn't that good so you trade not as good players for really good players.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
No. I think the opportunity to trade Weber for a younger, more dynamic player, is what led the Predators to make the move. Although the length of Weber's contract probably played a part in it, but I don't think the fact he signed a contract to play for Philadelphia years ago led them to move him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If anything the significant cap recapture penalties and the fact they've already paid him handsomely probably contributed to not wanting to trade him. Ultimately I think they went with the young, more dynamic player

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I think its more a matter of Nashville having the opportunity to make a significant upgrade snd taking it. Nothing more than that.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I generally think the same as you guys, just thought I'd see if people had different thoughts.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I mean... maybe?

The bigger factor is that they were offered the better and younger player in the trade.

Oh there's 0% doubt that that was the biggest factor, I'm more just wondering if his signing an offer sheet was a factor at all.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Weber got walked around in the playoffs
Josi became the new D king of the hill

Montreal offered an upgrade, and they took it.

I think most players view an offer sheet as just business.

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
I think him not having a cap/term friendly contact (that they didn't want in the first place) certainly influenced their decision.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yeah. You can't blame Weber. He didn't care whether he got that contract from the Flyers or Nashville. He wanted a cap circumvented contract before the next CBA closed that loophole.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I think it's more that P.K. is really good and Shea Weber isn't that good so you trade not as good players for really good players.

PK is a good player no question but at this point (as in this year) Weber is not only "that good" he's probably better than PK. The problem with the trade is they Weber is older and will decline while PK excels.

To answer the question from the OP, I think Weber was absolutely traded BC of the structure of that contract. Ie Term and the signing bonuses.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Perfectly said. Weber looked awful in the playoffs. Josi is getting better every year. Habs wanting to get rid of Subban and Habs still living in the 1950s where beeing a good canadian boy is the most important it was an easy swap for both sides.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
How would he sign an offer sheet? He's already under contract.

Edit: Oh, you're talking about the one he signed previously with Philadelphia. Never mind.

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Considering Nashville is stuck with the cap penalties if he retires before the end of the contract, I don't think it had much to do with it. If they could have traded the cap penalties, then yes I'd say it would have been a factor.

From a Nashville POV, it was about getting more mobile, younger, and arguably better.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I'm guessing that it made it less personal insofar as it established that the guy gets it's a league where players leave teams.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I doubt it. PK is a younger and more dynamic player, but I still think Weber - even slightly regressed - is a better player. When you add in the team mate and leadership aspects, Weber is undoubtedly better. I personally think both teams will ultimately be dissatisfied with the trade.

The notion that Weber looked awful in these playoffs is absurd. He certainly wasn't up to his usually standard of play, but awful? Come on.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wait, when did Shea Weber become not that good?

:laugh:

Haha exactly. People seem to think Montreal got a nobody for Subban.
I can't say Montreal won, by any means, (in fact I'd go so far as to say Nashville won, all things considered) but Montreal got a damn good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad