Did we win the Kessel deal yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We won the trade the day it was made.

Fact is the Bruins were very, very lucky to even have those draft picks turn into as good prospects as they did. And even as they lucked into those two good prospects, there was still no guarantee those prospects would ever be as good as Kessel.

Mar 26, 2010
We sure did! Seguin is WAY overrated. He has NOTHING on Phil!

Tdot Soldier

Apr 23, 2013
walking dist. to acc
Basically what I was trying to say in opening this thread is that this trade was pretty much considered a "disaster" for the Leafs by everyone for the first couple years. Now the fact that it isn't even close to "disaster" territory anymore is pretty significant.

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
Basically what I was trying to say in opening this thread is that this trade was pretty much considered a "disaster" for the Leafs by everyone for the first couple years. Now the fact that it isn't even close to "disaster" territory anymore is pretty significant.

Don't put words in my mouth

Tdot Soldier

Apr 23, 2013
walking dist. to acc
What have Leafs won in the 4 years since Kessel's arrival, and their playoff success through his contributions?

I don't understand the logic of "they won the cup, so they won the deal". By that token if we traded bret lebda for chara and a 1st, but they still won the cup, we would of lost that deal?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If they hadn't traded kessel, the b's would be celebrating their 2nd cup right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
No...this isn't about individual years. This is about posters like yourself arguing from both sides of the fence about prospect development.

You're directly comparing a player who is four years younger to an established player in the league...while COMPLETELY ignoring two other pieces in the deal.

So compare year to year and it's virtually a toss up.

Then add Doug Hamilton to the equation. And Jared Knight.

Disgusting trade and im not at all surprised to find eyeball11 trying to argue against simple logic and basic mathematical laws such as the number 3 being greater than 1.

If I wired you $20 can you come up with a compelling story about how water isn't wet? I'd like to see what you come up with.

What is the actual argument eyeball11? Please tell us. Because it seems like when a thread goes in a direction that you don't feel comfortable with, you start attacking the poster and use rhetoric rather than the content of the post (that being the double standard of Kadri and Seguin and their development curves).

Let me guess...Kessel (26) is a better player than Seguin (21) right?

Stunning revelation....a player drafted four years ahead of another guy is more polished. Absolutely enthralling. I never would have expected that.

So if this Kessel guy is as good as you say he is, I assume he wins games for the Leafs right?

Right? Because if he is as good a player as you suggest he is (probably top 5 in the league according to eyeball11) he no doubt helps the Leafs a great deal in winning games.

With Kessel the Franchise -> 2nd last and 9th last which gave Boston the 2nd overall pick, 9th overall pick, and 32nd overall pick

Goodness me, imagine if we didn't have Kessel the Franchise?

We would have done worse....

Might have drafted Hall and Huberdeau?

What would it have cost today for a team to move from 9th overall to 3rd overall?

Probably a metric tonne.

Add that to the cost of acquiring Kessel.

Embarrassing trade. But only a really special kind of Leaf fan would argue otherwise.

When the entire scope of your argument comes down to comparing PPG's over the first three years, you should reconsider entirely what you think you know about hockey...and management....and pretty much everything.

Everyone has seen the arguments pumping Kadri and bashing Seguin here.

At least try to be honest.

Kessel's development is over. Seguin and Kadri's are not.

I mean Seguin isn't even playing his natural position....similar to how Kadri was treated actually.

Kessel is relied upon far more than the Bruins rely on Seguin.

I'm sure the Bruins could have coached Seguin into being a perimeter player but I think they want bigger and better things out of him. May have something to do with why the Bruins make the Stanley Cup finals playing their game vs. playing their game + accommodating Kessel's style and not achieving any success...

Why does club reality always have to lie?

How am I arguing both sides of the fence? Over and over again I have compared the sum total of their first three years. Other than you being a liar, I am not sure how you construe that as "comparing a player who is four years younger to an established player in the league"? That's comparing them for the exact same three years. How can I compare the other two pieces when the same time frame doesn't exist? Further, I've maintained for years now that the Kessel versus Seguin trade off would likely be even over time, and that the only difference in the trade would come from whatever Hamilton does (as piece #3 is dime a dozen). How surprised am I that 3 years in it looks like what I said from the outset is correct? Not very. Probably because I am very fair.

I'm not sure how you can question what anyone knows about hockey and then state "Kessel's development is over" unless you are completely new to hockey. Talk about hypocritical! Oh and poor Seguin isn't playing his natural position? I wonder if we can think of anyone else who isn't? The Bruins win the Stanley Cup based on the best goalie performance in the near 100 year history of the league. Amazingly, even with such a performance they still managed the worst winning % enroute to said Cup. Says a lot about the rest of their game plan. You're right about one thing though, they want Tyler to be better. It's the reason they are shopping him and his own GM has publicly called him out for his inferior performance. Assuming he doesn't get traded, next year we'll see what he is made of. If what happened the past few days doesn't light a fire under his arse, he's no more than a talented loser who was lucky enough to ride Tim Thomas' coattails.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
The ultimate goal of every team is to win the Cup each season. Player transactions that occur are designed with the intention that you're attempting to win it all, and moving a team closer to that goal, improving your team.

Case in point: Boston clearly won the Kaberle trade at this point as Tomas lead the Bruins defense in playoff scoring, while Leafs return of Colborne, Biggs (in part via #30 pick) and Liles have done little to propel the Leafs forward at present. Any GM that makes a trade, particularly a deadline deal that results in a Cup win for his team would make that trade over and over again.

Boston traded Kessel and went on the win the Cup, so there will never be an issue from the Bruins perspective of regret or need to validate it. Leaf Nation is left wondering if this was a good trade, needing reassurance as there is no team success to validate it upon. Best case scenario is Kessel contributes to a future Leafs Cup win and then we call the trade a TIE !!! Thankfully Boston didn't win the Cup this year again because then it would have taken 2 X future Leafs Cup to call it a draw.

Byfuglien, Eager, Sopel, and Aliu for Reasoner, Crabb, Jeremy Morin, Justin Holl, and Kevin Hayes.

Ladd for Vishnevskiy and Adam Clenndening.

Who won those trades?

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand the logic of "they won the cup, so they won the deal". By that token if we traded bret lebda for chara and a 1st, but they still won the cup, we would of lost that deal?
depends on whether we win a cup with chara and the first.

they surely win the deal. they win the cup. what do you think purpose of making trades is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad