Did we underachieve this year?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
A fan base that's too apathetic?

Sometimes I believe fans get the wrong impression as to what exactly they contribute to the teams they cheer for. We can't get out pitchforks and torches and force an organization to do what we want. This is a business and owners are the ones with real skin in the game. We the fans can vote with our wallets if we like by not buying tickets and merchandise but that's as far as it goes.

I think a fair number of jets fans see the team moving in the right direction and are happy with that. I'd generally suggest that the fans that spend time here and on other forums are probably a little more involved than the average fan and that's why you have so much more dissapointment.

As for the original question. Yes a bit. If history tells me anything a team that played 5vs5 as well as we did should be fine. Maybe no playoffs next year again but following that we should be good.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Did we underachieve this year? I don't know, some of the posters were at their all time best, I mean the tank thread was epic on the last road trip, and some of the GDT's were worth the price of admission. Between the arguments of fancy stats and eye tests, and how we only used the word semantics on average 34 times a day per thread (that's lower than usual) I think HF Boards Jets were over achievers........other than Ol man Sip of course! :popcorn:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So it seems like a pretty solid majority feel like we underachieved.

So then I have to ask the question that I have been asking myself. Is there too much apathy in this organization and / or in the Jet fan base? Will we have a culture of winning if when we fail, everyone just says see you next year without expecting any significant changes (coaches, problem players)? Or is everyone just resigned to the fact that it is out of our control so it's pointless to talk about it / express it loudly / expect it from this organization?

I am not trying to be a shirt disturber. I think the topic is worthy of open, honest discussion.

I agree it is worth discussing. It is related to the issue of how much patience is it reasonable to give Chevy? The lack of outcry over this awful year is because he hasn't run out of rope yet. He asked for patience and the fans seem to have accepted that. The thing is this youth movement could be an acceptable quick reset or it could be almost starting over with a rebuild. I think the later would be unacceptable.

I think there have been things he could have done to get us to respectability sooner. These things have been covered in great detail many times. Last year's PO team could have been it. Bring in a goalie, sit Thor and Stu. Keep Frolik, Stemp and bring in Ehlers. Sign a cheap UFA 4C. Done. Play-offs. Respectability. Contention in another couple of years as ourdrafted players make their way in. Maybe never quite a SC winner that way as our core ages out. Chevy decided it wasn't good enough and changed horses. If it doesn't start to pay off soon I think you will see the reaction. I don't believe we have a complacent 'loser' attitude.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Did we underachieve this year? I don't know, some of the posters were at their all time best, I mean the tank thread was epic on the last road trip, and some of the GDT's were worth the price of admission. Between the arguments of fancy stats and eye tests, and how we only used the word semantics on average 34 times a day per thread (that's lower than usual) I think HF Boards Jets were over achievers........other than Ol man Sip of course! :popcorn:

Brilliant :handclap:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Hey, maybe I wasn't on my game this season, introduced a new iPad, it's a process!

Joryh

Mar 26, 2016
I love how a full season later Stemp is STILL getting brought up, in a thread about this season's performance none the less. That horse is long dead. Lol. Too funny. I can't wait till next season resurrection of this.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't think we can close the book on this season until the draft. Our picks and any potential moves made will represent the culmination of this season.
I don't think we plan on being losers next year. Seems to me that the brass decided the reload wasn't done and a year of bitter medicine was the cure. I tend to agree, last year was exciting but that team barely scraped into the playoffs all banged up. Keeping Stemp and Fro plus adding Ehlers might have been enough to put us on the edge of the playoffs again this year, but that's not the goal here, is it? We have a really strong chance to add one (or two!) potential superstar(s) at the draft. Once that's done, the waiting game begins. We should at that point have enough talent in-house to contend. It'll just be a matter of how quickly we can develop those players.
I actually think this would be a great year to go for broke and try to get a 2nd top-10 pick. Would Chicago's pick plus our 2017 1st be enough to get us something in the 7-10 range? Maybe a Foley or Spacek or a conditional 2nd tossed in for good measure?
If we pulled off something like that, got Laine, PLD or Tkachuk plus one of the big 3 dmen, then no, we achieved exactly what I had hoped for, which is every reason to think we'll have a winning team for years to come.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't think the Jets mgmt thought that the PK, PP, and goaltending would be so poor this year. This is one of the major reasons this team did not get anywhere close to the PO line. I also doubt they expected a dropoff in play from Lowry, or the early poor play by Burmi. I assume they felt that Copp would outplay Slater, and that the rooks would make up for the loss of players like Stempniak.

So did we underachieve? I'd say yes, especially considering our relatively good 5v5 play / stats.

The silver lining for this poor season will be the draft. That said, I did enjoy the play of the rookies and the emergence of Scheif and ESW as a force to be reckoned with. Onto the draft, and next season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree it is worth discussing. It is related to the issue of how much patience is it reasonable to give Chevy? The lack of outcry over this awful year is because he hasn't run out of rope yet. He asked for patience and the fans seem to have accepted that. The thing is this youth movement could be an acceptable quick reset or it could be almost starting over with a rebuild. I think the later would be unacceptable.

I think there have been things he could have done to get us to respectability sooner. These things have been covered in great detail many times. Last year's PO team could have been it. Bring in a goalie, sit Thor and Stu. Keep Frolik, Stemp and bring in Ehlers. Sign a cheap UFA 4C. Done. Play-offs. Respectability. Contention in another couple of years as ourdrafted players make their way in. Maybe never quite a SC winner that way as our core ages out. Chevy decided it wasn't good enough and changed horses. If it doesn't start to pay off soon I think you will see the reaction. I don't believe we have a complacent 'loser' attitude.

I would agree with you Mort. IMO the organization was far from complacent. It would have been easier to scrounge around the UFA pile for a couple vets and maybe we nudge a little closer to the playoff line. Making a strategic decision to go younger and start giving your kids experience and build for a brighter future was a long term move well worth taking IMO. Frolik and Stemp played for a combined 3 teams that also failed to make the playoffs.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I agree with this. The easiest path would have been to patch the existing line-up, re-sign Ladd, etc. It was probably more difficult to make the decision to transition to youth and trade your first captain. I don't see that as complacent, but rather as a decision consistent with a fairly blunt assessment that they needed to build around a younger core and a smaller group of key vets.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
if anything I think we OVER achieved last year which set unrealistic expectations for this year. Specifically assuming our goalie would pick up where he left off last year and ignoring the fact he has the worst save % of any starting goalie in the league. I think this is exactly where Chevy wanted to be and I'm glad he didn't move any pieces for another artificial playoff run

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I would agree with you Mort. IMO the organization was far from complacent. It would have been easier to scrounge around the UFA pile for a couple vets and maybe we nudge a little closer to the playoff line. Making a strategic decision to go younger and start giving your kids experience and build for a brighter future was a long term move well worth taking IMO. Frolik and Stemp played for a combined 3 teams that also failed to make the playoffs.

Especially considering the current strength of our division, combined they have moved a shocking amount of draft picks so why not build to peak when hopefully our competition has an aging core

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Fun fact:

Jets are 10th place in even strength (5v5) goal differential over the past two seasons combined.

The same team barely got in the POs one season and almost was a top 3 seed for draft lottery the next.

I think in many ways they underachieved their talent level: some due to luck, some due to system, some due to weak links in chain having a larger impact on Jets than some other teams.

Dismal fact: PP in last year in Alt was 11th overall with same core 1st PP players. Coaching sucks!

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Maurice

I don't think the Jets mgmt thought that the PK, PP, and goaltending would be so poor this year. This is one of the major reasons this team did not get anywhere close to the PO line. I also doubt they expected a dropoff in play from Lowry, or the early poor play by Burmi. I assume they felt that Copp would outplay Slater, and that the rooks would make up for the loss of players like Stempniak.

So did we underachieve? I'd say yes, especially considering our relatively good 5v5 play / stats.

The silver lining for this poor season will be the draft. That said, I did enjoy the play of the rookies and the emergence of Scheif and ESW as a force to be reckoned with. Onto the draft, and next season.

If Jet management did their due diligence they would not be surprised the coach they hired does not have much of a PK record.
Maurice in his last full seasons with Caralina:10-11:PK-20th
09-10:PK-19th
Toronto: 07-08:PK-29th
06-07:PK-26th
Caralina: 02-03:PK-22nd
01-02:PK-19th

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If Jet management did their due diligence they would not be surprised the coach they hired does not have much of a PK record.
Maurice in his last full seasons with Caralina:10-11:PK-20th
09-10:PK-19th
Toronto: 07-08:PK-29th
06-07:PK-26th
Caralina: 02-03:PK-22nd
01-02:PK-19th
All the cute wagging tongues aside, that's pretty damning, actually. That's worse than my record in BF4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad