Did the Pens miss drafting Pouliot over Forsberg?

Michael8771*

No, I literally never said that. Read what I said. I pointed out that Pouliot has a great GA/60 ratio so far in his career, and that means he's either being covered by a really good defensive D or he has NHL caliber defense. I never said he was good defensively, nor did I ever say he was good defensively because he plays with Bortuzzo or Scuderi.
I have no issue with DP as a player myself. But doesn't Forsberg fill a need more aptly? Aren't young defensemen notorious for taking more time to develop? And aren't we more of a win now team considering who are centers are? We already had good defensive depth here prior to DP being drafted, that wasn't the case for us at wing. FF would have made (in theory anyhow) a more immediate impact.

penguins2946*

I have no issue with DP as a player myself. But doesn't Forsberg fill a need more aptly? Aren't young defensemen notorious for taking more time to develop? And aren't we more of a win now team considering who are centers are? We already had good defensive depth here prior to DP being drafted, that wasn't the case for us at wing. FF would have made (in theory anyhow) a more immediate impact.

Bolded: We weren't going to win anything this year even with FF. The contracts that Shero left us from 2013 basically eliminated any serious chances we had at a cup.
Underlined: The Pens PP has been horrendous since Gonchar left in the playoffs, and that has been a huge reason that we've lost in the playoffs in recent years. Us not scoring goals is just as much on our dreadful PP as much as it is on our **** wingers. Both are big needs for us, so I'm not going to complain that we filled one of them instead of the other.

Michael8771*

Bolded: We weren't going to win anything this year even with FF. The contracts that Shero left us from 2013 basically eliminated any serious chances we had at a cup.
Underlined: The Pens PP has been horrendous since Gonchar left in the playoffs, and that has been a huge reason that we've lost in the playoffs in recent years. Us not scoring goals is just as much on our dreadful PP as much as it is on our **** wingers. Both are big needs for us, so I'm not going to complain that we filled one of them instead of the other.
I will, because again we have plenty of good and capable PMD, And Letang though not ideal in that PP role or Martin, are still good enough in that position to be productive. Maybe it's a coaching issue MORE than a personnel issue. IMO it is. Because the talent is there. And that's not the case on wing where there clearly were and are serious holes.

penguins2946*

I will, because again we have plenty of good and capable PMD, And Letang though not ideal in that PP role or Martin, are still good enough in that position to be productive. Maybe it's a coaching issue MORE than a personnel issue. IMO it is. Because the talent is there. And that's not the case on wing where there clearly were and are serious holes.

Our success rate on the PP in the playoffs says otherwise. It's no coincidence that our PP success dropped a ton after losing Gonchar.

Michael8771*

our success rate on the pp in the playoffs says otherwise. It's no coincidence that our pp success dropped a ton after losing gonchar.
I don't think we could or should conclusively lay the blame for our playoff pp debacles at the skates of letang and martin. There are other players out there that have a hand in this as well.

FF was the better choice for the reasons I stated previously. And that's not an indictment on DP, it's just the fact that Wing was an area that needed addressed. And when DP does finally fulfill his potential and promise, it'll likely be quite some time. Likely a couple years from now. Meanwhile FF is rockin and rollin as we speak.

Penguinzilla*

No, Pouliot will be one of the greatest defensemen of all time. Also, Penguins will win the Cup this year.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

While no one will know who the better player will be when it is all said and done, it is likely that Forsberg would have a greater impact on this team in the next few years than Pouliot will end up having. Defenseman take longer to develop and Forsberg fills a much bigger need due to the amount of defensemen in the system.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

I have a hypothetical question for you because Nashville wouldn't consider this anyway. But would you deal Pouliot for Forsberg right now?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
No, I literally never said that. Read what I said. I pointed out that Pouliot has a great GA/60 ratio so far in his career, and that means he's either being covered by a really good defensive D or he has NHL caliber defense. I never said he was good defensively, nor did I ever say he was good defensively because he plays with Bortuzzo or Scuderi.

Or it means that he hasn't played a big enough sample size to have those number mean anything.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Our success rate on the PP in the playoffs says otherwise. It's no coincidence that our PP success dropped a ton after losing Gonchar.

I love how you think DP is going to magically turn around out PP cause he's gonna be so much better than Tang and somehow make Sid and Geno stop making terrible passes.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh

Dude. Almost the entire game is played at 5 v 5. ESPECIALLY in the playoffs where penalties are called far less. Also, even if you DO have a great PP (and some magic PPQB wizard in DP), that doesn't guarantee you it won't go cold for a long stretch. Special teams as a whole are very volatile generally. And they matter less. In short, PP should always be a secondary concern to 5v5, where pretty much 85% of the game is played

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
i second this. would be curious to know the answer.

It's not even close to a difficult question. Regardless of how good people think Pouliot can be (his ceiling is probably a #2Dman who can QB a PP and put up a lot of points), I would take a guy who's a 30g winger in his rookie year who could be the prototypical, goal-scoring power forward that we've been yearning for ever since we drafted Crosby.

I'm not saying we should have done this, but if we had traded a one of our other young Dmen (Despres, Maatta, whoever) for a winger who is as good as or better than Forsberg, then people could maybe make an argument that it's great to have Pouliot. But given we haven't yet traded ANY of our young Dmen for forwards (yet traded one of them in Morrow for a rental), it's unequivocal that we still have not addressed a need and that our drafting and asset management in general has been sub-par.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
As jmelm mentioned, the bigger issue than Pouliot over Forsberg was Morrow over a host of talented forwards.

Saad, Khoklachev, Puempel, Jurco, Jenner, Namestnikov, Nieto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad