Did the NHL review the Backes elbow on Anderson?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
This is now Backes and Marchand who have taken swipes at Andersen's head, to go along with Marchand constantly pushing Marner's head into the ice across multiple games.

Whether you think any of these deserves a suspension is a different matter, but how has the league not at least fined the players for this? They gave Kadri what I consider to be an excessive suspension at 3 games, supposedly because they are trying to protect the head but have shown no concern at all with the repetitive head targeting of the Bruins. While each individual action may not have been as egregious as Kadri, there is a cumulative effect and definite pattern occurring here.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Oh for god's sake.

They don't review things everytime one player touches another.

It has to be, ya know, bad.

It's like a sucker punch to the face, but worse, an elbow drives harder than a fist.
Cheap, dirty, intent to injure.
Fine 'em.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Definitely.

If a Leaf player does this tonight I will 100% guarantee it's a penalty.
then it would be the right call, same if a boston player does it. we have 2 good refs tonight from what i gather. i dont expect it to be an issue. i assume the last thing the NHL wants is for refereeing to be seen as an issue with this game being the sole focus of the league.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Initially I didn't think it was intentional but after watching the replay again I'm not so sure about it.

The most egregious aspect is how the ref had his hand up for a penalty then after Polak approached Backes he ended up just balancing the penalties out, did Polak even do anything to warrant a penalty?

I'm used to this kind of crap though.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
i would like to add that the refereeing last game was very fair, they missed that call for sure. but they could have called marleau for interference on the empty net goal.
refs shouldnt decide a game and last game they didnt, thats all you can ask for.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
This is now Backes and Marchand who have taken swipes at Andersen's head, to go along with Marchand constantly pushing Marner's head into the ice across multiple games.

Whether you think any of these deserves a suspension is a different matter, but how has the league not at least fined the players for this? They gave Kadri what I consider to be an excessive suspension at 3 games, supposedly because they are trying to protect the head but have shown no concern at all with the repetitive head targeting of the Bruins. While each individual action may not have been as egregious as Kadri, there is a cumulative effect and definite pattern occurring here.

The Bruins top dogs have some presence over the league. Even on our ice they still dont quite call the bruins on all their shenanigans.

That game was called decently actually apart from the Backes polak freddy fiasco.

Refs are human, and they felt more shrivel d*cked knowing who from boston will affect their careers. Kinda the same way if a celeb walked into your work, you might be more easily swayed to break a few rules for em.

Leafs not so much.

Gm5... those refs were bought. Mafia or some self underground gambling. That game was as blatant a show of fixing ive ever seen.
6 PP back to back lol and a 5 on 3.
Im glad to know some of them lost houses and had their lives derailed.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1. It's mostly out of our power to influence the NHL front office whether or not there is bias (personally I think there's some bias). We see the less aggressive, less vicious, less interfering team get almost 3 PP more against per game in Boston. We get what's going on. Unfortunately it's just something you have to plow through.
2. The difference between the Kadri act and the Backes act is that Backes can feign innocence regarding intent. It's near impossible for Kadri to claim innocence in regards to intent.
3. The NHL has nearly eliminated fighting and headshots. The NHL has completely eliminated staged fighting and NHL players whose only NHL level ability is as a fighter. What the NHL hasn't eliminated, and doesn't seem interested in eliminating, is the dirtbag players who intentionally cross the line with the "accidentally on purpose" acts.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Let's not turn into lunatic fans. He was clearly positioning his stick for a tip on net. Whether this was a case of accidentally-on-purpose or not, I don't think he deliberately elbowed Andersen in the face without ANY correlation to the play in front of him. He was too close to the goalie, and played recklessly, like Backes does.

Still don't understand the coincidental minors on that play at all.

Not sure I agree. I can't find a great video of it, I'd rather see a wide shot that shows some of the play leading up to it. You get a better sense of things with context. So you may be right that it was part of an attempt to tip the puck. But it doesn't look like just stick positioning to me.

And a player is responsible for themselves. They are responsible for their elbow, just like they are responsible for their stick blade. Catch someone in the face with a high stick, even when trying to tip a shot, and it's an issue. Hitting the goalie in the head with an elbow when he's in the crease is an issue.

horner

May 22, 2007
Of course not why would they? Backes doesnt where a Leaf on the front of his sweater!!!!

Same way that Miller's elbow to Kapanen's head wasnt reviewed.....wrong jersey. Or why Marchand's baseball swing with his stick was reviewed.
Because Colin Campbell works in the nhl head office.
The briins traded for his son yrs ago.
He is retired now but ever since theu traded for his son they have been getting away with crap like this.
That is my theory .
Or somone else hates the leafs .

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Initially I didn't think it was intentional but after watching the replay again I'm not so sure about it.

The most egregious aspect is how the ref had his hand up for a penalty then after Polak approached Backes he ended up just balancing the penalties out, did Polak even do anything to warrant a penalty?

I'm used to this kind of crap though.
Both got 2 for roughing. So the original Elbowing penalty, was simply forgotten about.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
he's 100% head hunting.
So dirty.
There is no hockey play ... you watch players in front of the net ... nobody ever moves their elbow like that.
What could he be trying to accomplish ?
(Other than an elbow to the head).

"accidentally on purpose"
Precisely.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Suspending people for accidental content is a slippery slope no one wants to travel down.

Should have been a powerplay to the Leafs though - not sure how it ended up 4-on04.

Anyone calling Anderson for embellishment should maybe take an elbow to the head from Backes before commenting.

Reactions: Al14

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
It seems obvious that it should be a penalty. Hockey play or not intentional or not. A guy can step on your stick and it's a penalty because you are responsible for your stick at all times. Surely you're responsible for your elbow?

Suspension would depend on intent, but the league should at least review it.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
IMO it was not intentional but am fine with the fact that people may have a different opinion. Backes should've got the extra minor however.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Dirty.
Maybe Andersen's embellishment after the DIRTY elbow saved Backes ?
The League doesn't like embellishment.
Andersen got fined this year for embellishment.

Odd that the ref's arm goes up immediately but Backes penalty was for roughing on Polak, which doesn't happen for another 4 or 5 seconds.

He couldn't have "forgotten" why his arm went up in the first place, could he?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I didn't hear much because Anderson seemed OK and we won but that jackass should be suspended for game 7.
Was there any additional follow up to anyone's knowledge?

NHL says you have to be in control of your stick at all times but a heavily armored elbow pad can fly around freely with no consideration for player safety.

Jacobs says its not a penalty, the B's sure seem to have a lot of "accidental" dirty plays, maybe its the cone of corruption Gary has around the Bruins.... nothing to see here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad