Did the NHL review the Backes elbow on Anderson?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Of course not why would they? Backes doesnt where a Leaf on the front of his sweater!!!!

Same way that Miller's elbow to Kapanen's head wasnt reviewed.....wrong jersey. Or why Marchand's baseball swing with his stick was reviewed.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm not going to lie, I don't often complain about penalties, or league justice. But I don't get why nothing is being said at all. He elbowed the goalie in the head during play.

It was obviously intentional, too. It wasn't like it was part of a hit, it wasn't a scramble, and it wasn't incidental while skating by. He was standing in front of the net, and he swings his elbow back into the goalies head.

This has to be an example of something that the league "doesn't want in the game". So why is he not even getting a phone hearing? Some acknowledgement?

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I'm not going to lie, I don't often complain about penalties, or league justice. But I don't get why nothing is being said at all. He elbowed the goalie in the head during play.

It was obviously intentional, too. It wasn't like it was part of a hit, it wasn't a scramble, and it wasn't incidental while skating by. He was standing in front of the net, and he swings his elbow back into the goalies head.

This has to be an example of something that the league "doesn't want in the game". So why is he not even getting a phone hearing? Some acknowledgement?

Let's not turn into lunatic fans. He was clearly positioning his stick for a tip on net. Whether this was a case of accidentally-on-purpose or not, I don't think he deliberately elbowed Andersen in the face without ANY correlation to the play in front of him. He was too close to the goalie, and played recklessly, like Backes does.

Still don't understand the coincidental minors on that play at all.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Freddy is probably lucky to have not been given another embellishment fine if I have to be honest. I am not entirely sold that it was an intentional elbow to start either.

That said, the ref clearly put his arm up to call the interference penalty... but then decided to just even things up and go with a 4 on 4? We would have ended up with a 5 on 3 if they didnt f*** us on the original infraction.

We've been f***ed into defending a 5 on 3 we shouldn't have, and got f***ed out of having a 5 on 3 we should have.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Freddy is probably lucky to have not been given another embellishment fine if I have to be honest. I am not entirely sold that it was an intentional elbow to start either.

That said, the ref clearly put his arm up to call the interference penalty... but then decided to just even things up and go with a 4 on 4? We would have ended up with a 5 on 3 if they didnt **** us on the original infraction.

We've been ****ed into defending a 5 on 3 we shouldn't have, and got ****ed out of having a 5 on 3 we should have.

Good point. Polak got a 2 min offsetting penalty. So if Backes was getting 2 originally should he not have gotten an additional 2 for the scrum?

Reactions: Zizzzzy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Should have been a penalty but nothing more than that, IMO.

Reactions: Shanty

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I dunno. Kadri got 3 games. This was an intentional shot to the head of a vulnerable player.
One guy ran across the ice to deliver the headshot in retaliation, the other had eyes in the back of his head.
Shirley you see the difference?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
League spys: We have to review an intentional elbow to the head.
The League: Send details and Video please. Who was it ?
League spys: Backes
upload_2018-4-25_11-37-57.png

The League: Nevermind. We're good.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017

That’s about as objective as it gets. I knew Backes’ identity was to be a hard nosed player but I didn’t think he would stoop that low. Surprised by the NHL’s continuous decisions to be inconsistent.

Reactions: NiftyMits

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kadri got 1-2 games too much. If he was a Nashville player no way he gets that.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
But what does it matter if he got lucky? The intention was there and he nailed him in the head.
Intention may be clear to us but are view is skewed as fans. Hard to say definite intent when he has his back to him.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Pathetic that Backes wasn't suspended. Literally intent to injure. Nothing else. There's no fear of contact from the goalie. He wasn't protecting himself.

Absolutely should be a game. But this series has been rigged from the start.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Dirty.
Maybe Andersen's embellishment after the DIRTY elbow saved Backes ?
The League doesn't like embellishment.
Andersen got fined this year for embellishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizzzzy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma