Did the NHL review the Backes elbow on Anderson?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Odd that the ref's arm goes up immediately but Backes penalty was for roughing on Polak, which doesn't happen for another 4 or 5 seconds.

He couldn't have "forgotten" why his arm went up in the first place, could he?

This.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Pathetic that Backes wasn't suspended. Literally intent to injure. Nothing else. There's no fear of contact from the goalie. He wasn't protecting himself.

Absolutely should be a game. But this series has been rigged from the start.

Which is why I'm less stressed, I already know the outcome. Bruins will get early PP's that will slant the game in their favor or IF the Leafs take the lead the Bruins will get a slew of PP opportunities and slant the game and momentum in Boston's favor.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Andersen nudges Backes right before the elbow comes up - Backes was aware Freddy was behind him and threw the elbow back.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He didn't get a penalty for it, which is absolutely nuts - the penalties were co-incidental roughing minors between Backes and Polak, there was nothing for the elbow.

However, it's not suspension worthy in the playoffs. I think it was a purposeful elbow made to look possibly-accidental, but it's hard to know that for sure, it could have been fully accidental. More importantly, Andersen wasn't hurt on the play - for something to generate a suspension in the playoffs, it either has to be SUPER blatantly awful, or it has to cause an injury, that's just how the NHL seems to dole out suspensions. This is maybe a 1-game suspension in the regular season, but probably either nothing or a fine, in the playoffs plays like this (if they don't result in injury) are generally no discipline at all.

I could care less about the suspension, but I would like to see more consistent calls in game. The reffing has been crazy inconsistent this series, within games and especially between games, massive variance on what's a penalty and what isn't. This should very clearly have been a penalty. You even see the one ref immediately put his arm up to call it, but the elbowing penalty mysteriously disappeared after they sorted out the co-incidental roughings :/ Just call the game by the rules! Don't be like "oh, there was a fight, so we need to make sure everything's balanced and there's no PP, because playoffs."

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
This is why I couldn't care less about the Kadri thing, couldn't have happened to a more deserving team, only shame was that it wasn't on Marchand or Backes.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
He didn't get a penalty for it, which is absolutely nuts - the penalties were co-incidental roughing minors between Backes and Polak, there was nothing for the elbow.

However, it's not suspension worthy in the playoffs. I think it was a purposeful elbow made to look possibly-accidental, but it's hard to know that for sure, it could have been fully accidental. More importantly, Andersen wasn't hurt on the play - for something to generate a suspension in the playoffs, it either has to be SUPER blatantly awful, or it has to cause an injury, that's just how the NHL seems to dole out suspensions. This is maybe a 1-game suspension in the regular season, but probably either nothing or a fine, in the playoffs plays like this (if they don't result in injury) are generally no discipline at all.

I could care less about the suspension, but I would like to see more consistent calls in game. The reffing has been crazy inconsistent this series, within games and especially between games, massive variance on what's a penalty and what isn't. This should very clearly have been a penalty. You even see the one ref immediately put his arm up to call it, but the elbowing penalty mysteriously disappeared after they sorted out the co-incidental roughings :/ Just call the game by the rules! Don't be like "oh, there was a fight, so we need to make sure everything's balanced and there's no PP, because playoffs."

Agreed. If there is a penalty, call it. If you decide to "let them play", then don't call anything. Be consistent for both teams.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Odd that the ref's arm goes up immediately but Backes penalty was for roughing on Polak, which doesn't happen for another 4 or 5 seconds.

He couldn't have "forgotten" why his arm went up in the first place, could he?

That Jeremy jacobs/Bettman influence?
He had to call a Goalie down, didn't want to since the leafs had the lead. As soon as he got an opportunity to even it out, he did with Polak doing what any player would.

Weird because that was a decently called game in general, and an EXCELLENT show of reffing compared to GM5,

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Backes is one of those sneaky dirty players the Bruins love employing and I'm sure Jeremy Jacobs has paid off enough people in the NHL that they'd never have a disciplinary hearing.

"Plausible deniability" the Bruin motto since 1926 all the way back to Eddie Shore.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I thought it was 100% intentional by Backes.

100% agree. Backes is a gud pro. Been in the league forever. He could feel Freddy behind him. Have to admit he picked his spot perfectly to make it look like an accident. For those of you that hate Polak he's the only one on our blue line with the testicular fortitude to do what he did. Blame Polak all you want for costing us a PP. Blame the ref more. Polak defended Freddie. That was a cheap shot.

Reactions: The Rat King

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Not sure I agree. I can't find a great video of it, I'd rather see a wide shot that shows some of the play leading up to it. You get a better sense of things with context. So you may be right that it was part of an attempt to tip the puck. But it doesn't look like just stick positioning to me.

And a player is responsible for themselves. They are responsible for their elbow, just like they are responsible for their stick blade. Catch someone in the face with a high stick, even when trying to tip a shot, and it's an issue. Hitting the goalie in the head with an elbow when he's in the crease is an issue.

I still completely agree with the bolded. It should have been a penalty, I don't know what the refs were thinking, and I'm tired of opposing players going all-in on Freddie with no repercussions.

All the replays I watched though, the puck was coming in low, and it looked liked Backes was try to position his stick straight down, basically between his legs. I can believe that he would tell the refs and everyone against him that's what he was trying to do, just get stick on puck.

However, not for a second do I believe he didn't know where he was, and where Freddie was.

Reactions: iSophagus

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Definitely.

If a Leaf player does this tonight I will 100% guarantee it's a penalty.
And a suspension. Trust me, the announcers and every 'professional analyst' would disect every frame of that hit. They wouldn't shut up about it until the league did something. Against the leafs though? The hit will always be defended or simply never spoken of again.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Andersen nudges Backes right before the elbow comes up - Backes was aware Freddy was behind him and threw the elbow back EXCESSIVELY HIGH AND EXCESSIVELY HARD.
tidied up a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad