Did the Leafs get rid of the wrong goalie?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No they did not. Neither was the answer. Why give Reimer a big long-term deal when he had yet to play a full year as a #1? And people say we should not sign Stamkos? 5-6 million per is such a waste on Reimer.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Yes, of course. .938, 6-2-0, 3 SO, 1.62 gaa -- that's a #1 goaltender on a contending team.

It does kind of burn at how many ex-Leafs are on playoff teams right now: Reims, Spaling, Polak, Schenn, Versteeg, Holzer, Steen, Gunnarsson, Panik, Granberg, Kessel, Moore, Grabovski, Kulemin, Stalberg, Winnik, Sill, Bolland, McKegg, Stralman...

What that says to me is that the players were not the principal problem with this team over the years, but rather the front office and coaching staff.

Lol it says that we never had core pieces to compete with these secondary pieces. Except for Kessel nobody else is that important to the team.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Yup....They got rid of the goalie that last took them to the playoffs and because of him they achieved so much.

A good goalie on a garbage team will not give you good numbers!

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
The Reimer trade is another mistake management has made.
They gave Reimer away which only degrades their future trades as team realize if the leafs want to get rid of a player they can play low ball and steal that player

What were the other mistakes?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
IMHO they decided their goalie of the future was Reimer, and dealt him to the Sharks so that they could give Bernier starts to increase his trade value, and to run Sparks through the gauntlet to see what he had in him.

The alternative would've been to have Reimer "get injured" à la Lupul/Bozak/Robidas/etc. but they traded him instead.

I would guess the reasoning lies somewhere along the line of giving Reimer a chance to play some playoff games and exorcise the spectre of Game 7 against the Bruins.

Not even so much for Reiner himself, but for the fanbase.

If Reimer is this summer's goalie FA signing, it's a lot easier to sell the fanbase on it if Reimer has a) won with another team (currently 6-2-0 with three shutouts!) and b) won a playoff game to prove he isn't a choke artist.

And the irony of ironies is that if he does win a playoff game (and dare to dream, a playoff series!) he would do it for a team with possibly a worse choking reputation than Toronto!

Jones would have to collapse to allow reimer to get a game in for the playoffs.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
As long as we keep Bibeau, we didn't get rid of the wrong goalie.

Reimer nor Bernier is going to be the starting goalie for this team long term. We're not even close to competing.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It worked out well, with Reimer we wouldn't have finished 30th. He was going to cost too much going forward. We still weren't sure if he would crack under playoff pressure.

Jun 27, 2005
And people around here still deny that the Leafs lost intentionally.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I was always more of a Riemer fan than Bernier, but Bernier was playing just as good as Reimer recently. None are #1 goalies as none have played 60+ games successfully

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
They moved Reimer so they could play Sparks a lot down the stretch and get a better draft pick.

They could very well re-sign Reimer in the offseason.

Bernier likely gets moved at some point, whether Reimer comes back or not.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Is Reimer going to be a top 20 goalie in the league in 4 years when we're a good team? No.

Is Bernier? Maybe. He was that good when he first got here. He's still young enough to MAYBE learn to be consistently good. I wouldn't bet on it but it absolutely could happen.

It's a rebuild. You look 4 years down the road, and you take the "maybe" guy over the "no" guy. Every time.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Reimer's games recently against: Arizona, Edmonton x2, Vancouver x2, Boston.

6 of 9 games he started in down the stretch, non-playoff teams. Please.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
We don't have our goalie yet and neither of these guys were going to be that so it doesn't matter.

It's something that will have to be addressed and no Reimer ain't coming back.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Reimer is 6-2 with a .938 save percentage and 3 shutouts in 8 games with San Jose.

They got rid of the only goalie they could.

What were they supposed to trade Bernier for and who would have even wanted him at the time?

I was happy to see Sparks get a considerable look either way.

Last edited:

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
As long as we keep Bibeau, we didn't get rid of the wrong goalie.

Reimer nor Bernier is going to be the starting goalie for this team long term. We're not even close to competing.

Bibeau has a long way to go to be the right goalie in Toronto, he is pretty overrated at this point in my opinion, Gibson was miles ahead of him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Reimer's a UFA

It isn't the matter of "getting rid of the wrong guy." Reimer is a UFA, so what can you do. Get rid of Bernier for nothing and have Reimer leave?
It isn't a question of signing Reimer....it was Reimer's choice to sign or not.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Jones would have to collapse to allow reimer to get a game in for the playoffs.

A Sharks player collapse? When has such a thing ever happened?

I don't think Jones actually has to collapse for Reimer to see play though. If he starts out with a couple weak but not horrible games (in the .890-.910 range), then I think Reimer gets the next start.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
A Sharks player collapse? When has such a thing ever happened?

I don't think Jones actually has to collapse for Reimer to see play though. If he starts out with a couple weak but not horrible games (in the .890-.910 range), then I think Reimer gets the next start.
Maybe I was a little hyperbolic there haha.
You are right!

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Yup....They got rid of the goalie that last took them to the playoffs and because of him they achieved so much.

A good goalie on a garbage team will not give you good numbers!

Price made a garbage team look good for the last couple of years, I'm not saying that Reimer is anywhere near Price, but he IS a lot closer to Price calibre than Bernier and stats have proven that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad