Did the Leafs get rid of the wrong goalie?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A Sharks player collapse? When has such a thing ever happened?

I don't think Jones actually has to collapse for Reimer to see play though. If he starts out with a couple weak but not horrible games (in the .890-.910 range), then I think Reimer gets the next start.

Maybe one bad game. Jones has hardly been lights out this year. I think it puts more heat on Jones to perform (like he needs more) and gives the players extra confidence that they have a guy that his been a wall sitting on the bench. A good acquisition. Bet Pittsburgh wishes they had that kind of insurance.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Bibeau has a long way to go to be the right goalie in Toronto, he is pretty overrated at this point in my opinion, Gibson was miles ahead of him.

Funny you say that because the Leafs have a long way to go too. You don't go from last to playoffs overnight.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Goalies man. Who knows with them? Seriously. Cept for Rask and Lundqvist, what do we know about them? Groin injuries are omnipresent, confidence issues etc....

Anyone want to pay Pekka Rinne's salary right now?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Funny you say that because the Leafs have a long way to go too. You don't go from last to playoffs overnight.

That actually happen rather often, Oilers excluded. But lots of teams who finish the season as the 30th or 29th team make the playoffs the next or the season after the next.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If Bernier was worth anything at the time he would have probably been traded. Guy probably had no takers. On the other hand Riems is a UFA with a real possibility of leaving so the choice was pretty obvious.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No, we all know Reimer's capabilities backwards and forwards, which basically boils down to James is hot and James is cold. Hopefully come expansion we pluck a good goalie from the one of the few teams that have two decent ones, like Florida or Anaheim.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is Reimer going to be a top 20 goalie in the league in 4 years when we're a good team? No.

Is Bernier? Maybe. He was that good when he first got here. He's still young enough to MAYBE learn to be consistently good. I wouldn't bet on it but it absolutely could happen.

It's a rebuild. You look 4 years down the road, and you take the "maybe" guy over the "no" guy. Every time.

Bernier had a poor back half of the 14-15 season, and then a awful first half to the 15-15 season.

He actually finished really strong since Jan 1.

He had a poor 2015 year, but it's possible he may have figured it out, outside of that.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Moving Reimer was critical for the tank, IF, IF, we get Matthews or Laine, Sparks should get an annual annuity from MLSE for life, for 50k.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As a fan, love Reimer and his absolute never quit attitude. As a goalie he is not a pure number 1, he is a great back up and a decent goalie if you are gonna run a tandem out there. The problem is Reimer sees himself as a bonafied #1 and wants to be paid as such.

It sucks to have seen him leave but I suspect wherever he lands he will get a standing O when his club visits our barn.

Plus it helped our tank, we got a pick for him and we can move on and hopefully find a solution to our question in goal.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
We got our 20%, absolutely not. Chances are we can probably resign him in July anyways if we wanted to.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Did the Leafs get rid of the wrong goalie?

Nope. One down, one to go.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Reimer's games recently against: Arizona, Edmonton x2, Vancouver x2, Boston.

6 of 9 games he started in down the stretch, non-playoff teams. Please.

hahaha. If you are Reimer fan why would you bother with facts:handclap:

I started reading this thread and if you weren't watching Hockey you would think Reimer was Sharks savior. Where as the fact is that Sharks got him as a backup and playing him as a backup. He hasn't seen a playoff game yet with SJ. Could there be a reason for it...hmmmm:sarcasm:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Amazing such a weak thread has garnered so much discussion.

We did not have our goalie of the future on the team last year so it did not matter who we traded. Riemer was done here so that is not even up for debate. Bernier it appears gets one more year to cement himself or I suspect he is gone too.

I suspect we get our real starter before the expansion draft.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Amazing such a weak thread has garnered so much discussion.

We did not have our goalie of the future on the team last year so it did not matter who we traded. Riemer was done here so that is not even up for debate. Bernier it appears gets one more year to cement himself or I suspect he is gone too.

I suspect we get our real starter before the expansion draft.

Well this isnt really a debate in my opinion. Reimer is a UFA and therefore a rental, with #1 potential and playoff experience. Bernier had a bad year, and is under contract, therefore I am sure there was no market for him, if there was it would have been him gone. Basically we obviously werent making the playoffs, and were stock piling prospects and picks and Reimer being the UFA, he was the better one to trade because of the return, no point in keeping him for nothing (we can re sign if we/he wants in the offseason).

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Well this isnt really a debate in my opinion. Reimer is a UFA and therefore a rental, with #1 potential and playoff experience. Bernier had a bad year, and is under contract, therefore I am sure there was no market for him, if there was it would have been him gone. Basically we obviously werent making the playoffs, and were stock piling prospects and picks and Reimer being the UFA, he was the better one to trade because of the return, no point in keeping him for nothing (we can re sign if we/he wants in the offseason).

Except the fact that they got 6th round for Reimer, which is basically next to nothing. They tried to shop him but with no takers they dumped him for whatever they could get for him as mgmt had seen enough of Reimer to realize that he is not the goalie that they were looking for. Its as simple as that

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Except the fact that they got 6th round for Reimer, which is basically next to nothing. They tried to shop him but with no takers they dumped him for whatever they could get for him as mgmt had seen enough of Reimer to realize that he is not the goalie that they were looking for. Its as simple as that

:huh:

They received a 4th rounder for Reimer (and Morin) and if the Sharks win the cup, it becomes a 3rd. They also got Stalock and Ben Smith, who don't really matter all that much but Smith could help the Marlies win the Calder Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad