Did the collapse cost Kessel a Hart and Lindsay nomination?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It feels like Giroux basically stole Kessel's nomination in both categories. If we had made the playoffs, Kessel would definitely have been a Hart and Lindsay candidate because we didn't get consistent scoring from other lines and his line was the only reason we outscored our problems and won outside of marvelous goaltending.

What do you guys think?

I bet he will be top 5-10 in both categories when the votes are released.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Not deserving it as much as other players cost him the nominations.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
No Kessel cost Kessel. Let's be honest, it would be hard to maintain the rate he was scoring at. That and not too mention the olympic year for him and timezone etc. Bound to cool off, and when that happened so did the leafs. And people want to trade him smh

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It feels like Giroux basically stole Kessel's nomination in both categories. If we had made the playoffs, Kessel would definitely have been a Hart and Lindsay candidate because we didn't get consistent scoring from other lines and his line was the only reason we outscored our problems and won outside of marvelous goaltending.

What do you guys think?

Stole is a bad choice of words .

PK faltered down the stretch just like the team while Giroux after a slow start drove his team into the playoffs so he stole nothing .

Imo PK still finishes behind Giroux even if we made the playoffs but the voting would have been close .

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
No Kessel cost Kessel. Let's be honest, it would be hard to maintain the rate he was scoring at. That and not too mention the olympic year for him and timezone etc. Bound to cool off, and when that happened so did the leafs. And people want to trade him smh

Eh? Kessel the only person in a time zone or something?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think so. (what's the Lindsey... I know its the players nominated award.... but isn't there another one, or did this replace the one I'm thinking about)?

but with the Hart? - for sure. Everyone was saying how Kessel was playing inspired (and even when he was 'cold') he was still making things happen with play making etc.

it's sort of the same that the Leafs crap cost Bernier a vezina in my opinion. I don't understand how you have THOSE numbers, and had to face more shots, and chances and all this stuff, and because you don't have more shutouts or whatever, bah.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Stole is a bad choice of words .

PK faltered down the stretch just like the team while Giroux after a slow start drove his team into the playoffs so he stole nothing .

Imo PK still finishes behind Giroux even if we made the playoffs but the voting would have been close .

I feel if you have a slow start you should not be considered. True MVP's are there for their team 80 games out of the year not just 60. Same goes for Kessel.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even if we did make the playoffs he likely wouldn't have been a candidate for either.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You could say the same for Dion and Jonathan, Did the collapse cost Phaneuf and Bernier a Norris and Vezina nomination?

Phaneuf is terrible and Bernier doesn't have the resume. Bernier would not have gotten any nomination unless he played at .930+ clip.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Post Olympic stats Kessel verses Giroux.

Kessel 21 games 5 goals 8 assists 13 points - (0-0-0 PP points)
Giroux 22 games 9 goals 20 assists 29 points - (1-12-13 PP points)

Kessel's own offensive collapse cost the Leafs the playoffs and him any award nominations.

Hart is voted most valuable player to his team success.

hockeyfanz*

An MVP wouldn't allow his team to collapse

Bingo bongo...he aint no MVP. Also I'll take Claude Giroux over Kessel all the time. He is just a better player.

Leaf fans really want to prop up PK....who deserves accolades for what he does..hardly an MVP type player whether the Leafs make the post season or not. I will argue that Jonathan Bernier is the Leafs most valuable player anyway.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

What do you guys think?

According to the ballots that were released already, Kessel didn't even have one 5th place vote out of 28 ballots.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1648701&highlight=hart+trophy

hockeyfanz*

According to the ballots that were released already, Kessel didn't even have one 5th place vote out of 28 ballots.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1648701&highlight=hart+trophy

Hardly surprising. I think Leafs Nation needs a wake-up call to think ANY single player on the roster is actually worthy of consideration for personal hardware. The only guy for me would be Jonathan Bernier, but even him what would he be awarded?

Best goalie on a non playoff team?

I remember my neighbour trying to sell me Kessel as an MVP BEFORE the Leafs went in the toilet...AGAIN. I simply looked at him and laughed. Phil Kessel does not elevate and lead a team. At least I don't see it.

Not sure how others do.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

What do you guys think?

The collapse cost the Leafs a play-off birth, individual awards are irrelevant.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Post Olympic stats Kessel verses Giroux.

Kessel 21 games 5 goals 8 assists 13 points - (0-0-0 PP points)
Giroux 22 games 9 goals 20 assists 29 points - (1-12-13 PP points)

Kessel's own offensive collapse cost the Leafs the playoffs and him any award nominations.

Hart is voted most valuable player to his team success.

To be fair those numbers are more or less inverted at the start of the season.

Regardless, I don't think either player should win. I love Kessel but he was obviously injured or just plain tired at the end of the season(dejected after failing to capture an olympic medal?). Giroux looked off at the beginning as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Ted Lindsay trophy is awarded to the NHL most outstanding player during the regular season as judged by the NHL players association.

Even in an all-star game Kessel was selected last by the players so having him voted MVP of the league would be highly unlikely. IMO

An SI poll in 2012 of 145 NHL players voted Kessel the easiest to intimidated player(http://cnnsi.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1194882/index.htm)?.. So there is little respect among his own peers for his accomplishments.

If Kessel ever lead the Leafs to success while leading them in scoring then he might get some Hart trophy consideration.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Why are people making excuses for Kessel....

He was tired.....nope he failed to perform.

Tough time zone....nope ( majority of NHL teams in the same time zone) West coast teams have the toughest travel schedule.

Or Giroux played bad at the start of the season and that is the same.....no it is not, when the Flyers needed to win he dragged them to the playoffs himself!

Kessel and MVP ....he has not thus far shown himself to be a player that can lead a team....total points yes, but there is so much more to consider when looking at an MVP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00