Did Pittsburgh miscalculate how bad their defense was?

Creativero

Jul 17, 2015
Between this and the Crosby's ball thread I think we can just wrap this up early and give them the Cup now before anyone else gets hurt because it probably won't Maatta anyways.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Between this and the Crosby's ball thread I think we can just wrap this up early and give them the Cup now before anyone else gets hurt because it probably won't Maatta anyways.

You know, I'd love it if the pens went streit to the finals without any more injuries instead of losing players daley, it's frustrating to see players hurt all the time but it doesn't maatta who is out, the system is solid.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't know, I keep hearing from Pens fans that these injuries are absolutely massive factors in why they are not playing well.

I think management really turned a blind eye to how thin and unreliable their blueline was (in consideration of injury-proneness and single-threadedness).

They are.

Fans have a lot of questions regarding how to insulate Letang missing his usual 10-20 games a year (if not more). However that's easier said then done. I mean outside of Shattenkirk who would have been available this year mid season? And that's ignoring the fact that up until a week or so before the deadline everything was looking very promising for Letang to return. Then there's also the fact that Pittsburgh has a very limited prospect pool with only 3-4 prospects worth anything (which means them moving multiple early picks only adds to that). It makes things very challenging for them to go after rentals. Especially if you look at some of the teams that do (aka Washington this year) and fail to get the results they were hoping for.

Schultz has been fine. Is he great? No. But as a good 2nd pairing D who can QB the PP, he's more than fine. My wishlist is a player like Fowler or another top 2-3 D who's a better skater then Maatta who can help insulate Letang when he misses games. But those guys are hard as **** to find... so you have to make due with what you have unless someone better comes along - which happens infrequently. And when they do, you pray like hell that the other team will accept something you're willing to give up.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
boy this thread has not aged well, thinly veiled karlssson pump thread as it was.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
how can you be a sens fan and make this thread? this is something a pens fan does as a reverse jinx.

Washington really exposed the penguins defense mainly by their inability to escape the zone cleanly and allowing them to carry in. Letang missed big time in those facets. Ottawa is obviously not as talented up-front but I am surprised they adhered to their neutral zone discipline instead of trying to forecheck the pens as much as they did.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
even with a mediocre defensive roster they have the elite superstars up front, great forward depth and very consistent clutch goaltending. IMO they are a juggernaut as long as the goaltending holds and the forwards perform, a mediocre defence is just find for team performance.

May 17, 2009
Maine
It's true that we sometimes get stuck in our own zone because we don't have

Tanger-Outlets-sign.jpg

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
You know, I'd love it if the pens went streit to the finals without any more injuries instead of losing players daley, it's frustrating to see players hurt all the time but it doesn't maatta who is out, the system is solid.

they've had quite the fleury of injuries but you just have to hope the guys coming into the line-up can knock the rust off quickly and get to work.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I heard there's this guy who stands in a blue painted area directly in front of the net blocking pucks who might influence that.

do goalie not wear team sweaters or what? are they not signed by the team? why are they separate entities ?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
do goalie not wear team sweaters or what? are they not signed by the team? why are they separate entities ?

Because the penguins (most likely) would have given up a significant amount of more goals if Anderson/Gibson was in goal instead of Fleury for most of their playoff games.

This thread was created with the premise that the assemblage of 6 skaters known as defensemen for Pitt are bad. Fleury was the MVP of the team for at leas the first 2 rounds.

It can be both true that a team has a pretty underwhelming defense but still concedes only a modest amount of goals because of goaltending.

Goals against is a bad statistic in evaluating defense. Shots and scoring chances against are better.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Because the penguins (most likely) would have given up a significant amount of more goals if Anderson/Gibson was in goal instead of Fleury for most of their playoff games.

This thread was created with the premise that the assemblage of 6 skaters known as defensemen for Pitt are bad. Fleury was the MVP of the team for at leas the first 2 rounds.

It can be both true that a team has a pretty underwhelming defense but still concedes only a modest amount of goals because of goaltending.

and they'd score less goals without crosby malkin and kessel too :laugh:

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
are you attempting to respond to the original point or just stating something completely irrelevant to it...

im saying there no point in mixing and matching rosters to make hypotheticals.

The pens allow fewer goals. whether or not thats because of their goalie is irrelevant. if you have a corvette with no wheels, its not a great car

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
im saying there no point in mixing and matching rosters to make hypotheticals.

The pens allow fewer goals. whether or not thats because of their goalie is irrelevant. if you have a corvette with no wheels, its not a great car

the point is very simple. There are better ways to evaluate defense than the rate at which the puck goes into the back of your net which is largely influenced by the goaltender. a position which is a highly specialized and volatile and independent of the defensemen in front of him, at times.

how often you give up shots, scoring chances, high danger chances, zone entries with possession etc. are probably better indicators of your teams defense. these elements were exposed by Washington. Goaltending and timely scoring won the series.

Mike Lange Version 2

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
The thread title is did we miscalculate how bad our defense is. That can refer both to the players who compose the defense, or overall defensive result...which is chiefly goals against.

I'm not so naive as to say the players that make up our defense (especially given the level of injuries we've suffered) are as good as some of the other teams left.

But at the end of the day, our "defense" is holding up better than Anaheim and Ottawa. Goalie influencing that or not, I think this thread is a little silly, which is why I made that comment :P

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
the point is very simple. There are better ways to evaluate defense than the rate at which the puck goes into the back of your net which is largely influenced by the goaltender. a position which is a highly specialized and volatile and independent of the defensemen in front of him, at times.

how often you give up shots, scoring chances, high danger chances, zone entries with possession etc. are probably better indicators of your teams defense. these elements were exposed by Washington. Goaltending and timely scoring won the series.

ok lets lay this out better

someone said the pens allow less goals than anaheim and ottawa.

then you said: they have a good goalie. imagine if the teams switched goalies or something

i said: why would teams switch goalies.

now you're bringing up stats that evaluate defensive prowess. those are all fine. i was unaware thats what we are talking about.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Did Sureves miscalculate creating this thread?

One of the poorest decisions on HF since Epsilon claimed the NHL wasn't trying to remove John Scott from the ASG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad