Did Pittsburgh miscalculate how bad their defense was?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
They don't have that even with Schultz in the lineup. Their defense without Letang (and again, to ignore how likely it is he would get injured is just irresponsible) has got to be one of the worst in the league, no?

I mean Ottawa's defense without Karlsson is really not very good, but it blows Pittsburgh-without-Letang out of the water and then shoots it out of the air.

Methot > Schultz
Phaneuf > Maatta
Ceci > Whoever
Claesson > Whoever #2
Wideman > Whoever #3
Boro > Whoever #4

And again, Ottawa's defense is hardly worth bragging about.

That's a pretty silly thing to say when you don't even know 2/3 of the defenseman on the Penguins.

Dumoulin is a solid two-way #2/3
Daley is a great skating #3/4
Cole is a solid #3/4 defensive defenseman
Hainsey is a good veteran bottom pair dman (he's played 900+ games over 15 years in this league, and you don't know who he is?)

Those 4 averaged ~20-21 minutes during the regular season.

It's funny that you mentioned Maatta at all, he averaged ~2 mins less TOI than all these guys during the regular season.

Streit is another veteran guy that can hop in and play 16-18 mins if needed.

If anything, the injuries show how well the Pens prepared​ for injuries - Shultz, Daley, Cole, Hainsey, and Streit were all acquired in the last couple years and have proven to be critical acquisitions. That's fairly remarkable to have cobbled together a cup winning D core like they have - Maatta will probably be the only guy playing defense tonight that was actually drafted by the pens.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I only read the thread title and OP, so sorry if this is been said already, but… Considering that the Pens have gotten farther than four playoff teams (really, 26 teams) and need the same number of wins as Ottawa to get to the Finals, they're doing alright...

This thread is dumb, and it will look even dumber if Ottawa doesn't win the series.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's a pretty silly thing to say when you don't even know 2/3 of the defenseman on the Penguins.

Dumoulin is a solid two-way #2/3
Daley is a great skating #3/4
Cole is a solid #3/4 defensive defenseman
Hainsey is a good veteran bottom pair dman (he's played 900+ games over 15 years in this league, and you don't know who he is?)

I think you're a bit generous with your ranking, but generally, I agree that it's silly to call them bad or one of the worst in the league without Letang.

Fact is, the Pens have a bunch of guys who are second pairing defenders even without Letang. Certainly without Letang that would put them about middle of the pack, but way, way better than the OP's suggestion of them being "one of the worst in the league".

Dumoulin - 3/4
Daley - 4/5
Maatta - 3/4
Cole - 4/5
Schultz - 3/4
Hainsey - 5/6
Ruhwedel - 6/7
Streit - 6/7

That's their defense without Letang. I don't know how anyone can call a defense that has arguably five guys capable of playing on a second pairing "one of the worst in the league".

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I figured this thread was made before last year's POs and was bumped. Pretty sad that it was made after they won the Cup with the same D last year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The OP literally doesn't even know who the Penguins have on defense beyond Maatta, Letang and Schultz. Like look at this post:

He says that the Sens defense blows the Pens defense out of the water while not even knowing who's on the Penguins defense beyond the top-3 guys. He's obviously just a mad Senators fan that Penguins fans keep mentioning how injured the Penguins defense is.

Worded in a much better way than mine :laugh:

Yeah that's all it is.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Since this thread was posted, the Penguins defensemen have had 7 points in two games.

Please make a thread about Jake Guentzel, OP. Thanks.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This thread is a joke. The Pens are the best team in the league by far. Their defense isn't great, but the their offense and goaltending is leagues better than anyone else and it more than makes up for it. Just hand them the cup now :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Olli Maatta is finding himself in this year's playoffs and it's been amazing. Him and Dumoulin have been fantastic and Cole is his usual rock solid self in the playoffs. The supporting cast is really playing their part too.

You'd think a team missing their #1 and #2 D would be just done, nope.

#InSullivanWeTrust

Yeah, you're 100% wrong on that. But keep trying to make it that way.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Has i said in my earlier post. For years to come theyll be a top 5 group. I project these guys a lot higher than you guys ...
Maata is a future #2 i believe he is only 22
Dumolin has a ceiling has a 2. ( most people disgree but i evalute defenseman based on their skill set and systems coaches put them in.)
Scultz is a 3-4 but could be a 2 in the Pens system due to offensive production.
Cole is 2nd pairing guy
And of course Letang is a true #1
A true #1 to me is,a defenseman that is the minutes eater that would thrive in any system. Im sure there are no more than 15 in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad