Did Lombardi do enough for this team at the trade deadline?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
None of that matters if your 7 million/ 6 million/ 5.6 million Point leaders don't show up.

You could have Jagr there and still lose games.

One forward is not going to make Kopitar Dominant like he should be.

Im not saying that he would (althou they did seem to have alot of chemistry in the nhl rookie game) but king is next to useless on that line tonight. He seems lost and was the last forward back at least 3 rushes now. A more skilled forward would help richard and carter Althou i wouldn't have jokien playing with carter letting brown make room for richards and carter. Kopitar needs winger with more skill imo and Jussi Jokinen had the speed and skill neeed to jump start kopi imo

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Im not saying that he would (althou they did seem to have alot of chemistry in the nhl rookie game) but king is next to useless on that line tonight. He seems lost and was the last forward back at least 3 rushes now. A more skilled forward would help richard and carter Althou i wouldn't have jokien playing with carter letting brown make room for richards and carter. Kopitar needs winger with more skill imo and Jussi Jokinen had the speed and skill neeed to jump start kopi imo

Williams has been the Kings best Forward all year....And guess who he plays with...

Again some roster throw away guy is not going to make your Top players show up.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Williams has been the Kings best Forward all year....And guess who he plays with...

Again some roster throw away guy is not going to make your Top players show up.

I dont think so Carter and Kopitar have been the best two forwards all year. Not even close on williams. Jussi Jokinen is not a throw away guy he is a skilled player and played really well in a allstar game with kopitar all thou it was a while ago. We need somone with his skill period. He would easly be a upgrade for the lw postion which imo we have only two decent consistant players clifford and brown. A top six looking would look alot better like this

jokinen kopitar williams
brown richard carter

A top 6 with players that can all keep up with each and have a higher skill set will be alot better then with a player like king slowing them down.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Of all of the trades that went down at the deadline, maybe 1 in 10 made sense to me. The Regher one was one of them.

Remember we had this thread already about what the Kings have to trade and we've already figured out that we don't have much.

Now I would say the injuries on the D and the regression of the dinged Martinez is one of them, that's what's killing us. All of the two-way players on the team have to play a lot more D to cover for those guys we can't trust on D...Ellerby, Muzzin, Toffoli, etc. It neutralizes Doughty, Kopi and guys like that...especially when we don't get the puck out of our own zone.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I dont think so Carter and Kopitar have been the best two forwards all year. Not even close on williams. Jussi Jokinen is not a throw away guy he is a skilled player and played really well in a allstar game with kopitar all thou it was a while ago. We need somone with his skill period. He would easly be a upgrade for the lw postion which imo we have only two decent consistant players clifford and brown. A top six looking would look alot better like this

jokinen kopitar williams
brown richard carter

A top 6 with players that can all keep up with each and have a higher skill set will be alot better then with a player like king slowing them down.

King is constantly the First man in, how does he slow down anyone ?

Guys King is not the reason the Top six can't score right now. It has nothing to do with him.

The options are Penner and King that's it. Toffoli would get eaten alive in a series like this.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

Guys King is not the reason the Top six can't score right now. It has nothing to do with him.

lol king i the first one in cause he never makes it back to the defensive zone. When he makes it back hes never in deeper then the top dot he wonders around aimlessly. He does not have the ability to play mins on the top six If hes playing he should be 3rd line at most. Penner or clifford should be 2nd line imo They have shown they can play more consistant mins then king imo. I am not blaming him in reality he just doesnt have the skill level to be on that line. Dl should have picked someone up to play there.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The options are Penner and King that's it. Toffoli would get eaten alive in a series like this.

I think it has a lot to do with him. He's not a top 6 player and does not have the skill set, it doesn't matter how fast he is, he can't finish and that's been obvious for awhile. He had opportunities to finish off passes , esp in the first 2 games and couldn't do it, just like he couldn't on the breakaway last night. He'd been more successful in his role where he's better suited, bottom line player.
Penner has been the better player of the pair thru the first 3 and at least has top 6 skill set ability to finish. He'd be a much better complment to MR and JC on that line and showed last year in the playoffs how he can use his size, strength along the boards to win battles and help that line score.
As long Sutter refuses to take off his King blinding glasses, that line isn't going to have success, they're incomplete.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
What's so stupid about it? It's not a fair question? It's stupid to look back and judge DL's performance for this season?

I thought that's what this message board was for, to discuss the Kings....is that stupid?

what more could he have done? hes got his hands full, especially with the cap going down next year and a lot of players coming off the books. Mitchell/Greene getting hurt was unforseen and while theres not much he could have done without giving up too much, he made probably the smartest move he could have made by picking up Regehr. why give up the farm right after youve won a cup?

LAX attack*

I think it has a lot to do with him. He's not a top 6 player and does not have the skill set, it doesn't matter how fast he is, he can't finish and that's been obvious for awhile. He had opportunities to finish off passes , esp in the first 2 games and couldn't do it, just like he couldn't on the breakaway last night. He'd been more successful in his role where he's better suited, bottom line player.
Penner has been the better player of the pair thru the first 3 and at least has top 6 skill set ability to finish. He'd be a much better complment to MR and JC on that line and showed last year in the playoffs how he can use his size, strength along the boards to win battles and help that line score.
As long Sutter refuses to take off his King blinding glasses, that line isn't going to have success, they're incomplete.

I think the point is that King should not have to play on a top-6 line. Where is a good veteran? The thread asks "did Lombadi do enough" not "is Lombardi a bad GM". This whole has been glaring for a long time, Penner doesn't do it, King can't do it and we all know that, I guess its hard to find a guy who fits in the system with top-6 talent though.

Then again are we waiting for Toffoli, or Lewis, King to blossom? Talking about Lombardi's depth chart or whatever, there is a gap between the end of 2012 (once Carter filled the other) and about 2014 (earliest point where Toffoli is a better than average top-6er [IE better than Lewis]) where he is missing a winger.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If Quick doesn't flub the puck behind the net in game one, we could be leading this series 2-1. But he does flub it and we end up down 2-0 in the series and now we have to analyze if DL did enough (IE did his job).

Kings are a good team, it's a tight series and we could just as easily be up 3-0 as down 0-3. We got the puck luck last year, this year St. Louis has so far. It happens and has nothing to do with if DL did his job. He had fewer assets to work with (IE no 1st rounder) and had more holes to fill (Greene, Mitchell), just be thankful he didn't deal away elite youth like Pearson and Toffoli like Kings teams in teh past would have for a short term fix.

I think DL showed amazing restraint this season.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I still would have liked to pick up Jussi Jokinen. Low risk, high reward player.

They would be on the hook for roughly 3 million in salary for next year if they would have acquired him and if the cap is going to go down next season I don't think they would want him on the books beyond this year.

If it was a rental just for the rest of this year then by all means but to take on another year I don't think the Kings would have had the appetite to do so.

I'd rather commit some or all of that money to a guy like Voynov and get him signed up long term.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
They would be on the hook for roughly 3 million in salary for next year if they would have acquired him and if the cap is going to go down next season I don't think they would want him on the books beyond this year.

If it was a rental just for the rest of this year then by all means but to take on another year I don't think the Kings would have had the appetite to do so.

I'd rather commit some or all of that money to a guy like Voynov and get him signed up long term.

I think the risk would be worth it. We still have the 2 buyouts that if he didnt work out we could have used. I agree thou slava is a real concern and should be deans 1 proiority to resign asap

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The kings need carter and kopitar to score. And get voynov ,doughty, and muzzin jumping in to the second wave. They can't take anymore bad penalties, plus the defense men have keep the blues forwards away from quick after whistles.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The kings need carter and kopitar to score. And get voynov ,doughty, and muzzin jumping in to the second wave. They can't take anymore bad penalties, plus the defense men have keep the blues forwards away from quick after whistles.

Wrong thread?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings need defensemen to play more defense and be more trustworthy to free up Doughty and Kopitar to play more offense.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the risk would be worth it. We still have the 2 buyouts that if he didnt work out we could have used. I agree thou slava is a real concern and should be deans 1 proiority to resign asap

It's easy for us to say this, but imagine being DL and going to the owner and saying "I'd like to acquire this guy for the rest of the season, which is about 10 games. We'd almost guaranteed to be buying him out after the playoffs as we hardly have any cap room anyways, so it'll cost us about $3.5 million for 10 games and the playoffs. You're cool with that , right?"

DL's been lucky to be able to spend to the cap, but picking up a player knowing the odds are pretty good you'll be buying him out in three months or less isn't likely something anyone above DL would like to much.

Wrong thread?

Not at all. If those things were happening, we'd be leading this series (maybe even swept it again) and we wouldn't have any need for this thread at all.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
It's easy for us to say this, but imagine being DL and going to the owner and saying "I'd like to acquire this guy for the rest of the season, which is about 10 games. We'd almost guaranteed to be buying him out after the playoffs as we hardly have any cap room anyways, so it'll cost us about $3.5 million for 10 games and the playoffs. You're cool with that , right?"

DL's been lucky to be able to spend to the cap, but picking up a player knowing the odds are pretty good you'll be buying him out in three months or less isn't likely something anyone above DL would like to much.

Not at all. If those things were happening, we'd be leading this series (maybe even swept it again) and we wouldn't have any need for this thread at all.

I think the risk wouldnt have been that bad. He has played with kopitar before and looked great. He has a history of starting fast with a new team. 3.5 million is a decent price for a 1st/ 2nd line lw. Dean already spent 2 2nds on regher for 10 games plus playoffs on a dman that odds are he gone after this season. Buying jokien out was a last resort but if he worked out he would soilify our top 6. Dean has worked the cap well and this would have been a calulated risk. Its not like we have alot of bad contracts to use this option, It was a free spin of the wheel to me. Having king on our 2nd line is hurting our offense wheather you want to acknowlege it or not. To me wheather we were up 3-0 id still have this opinion.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the risk wouldnt have been that bad. He has played with kopitar before and looked great. He has a history of starting fast with a new team. 3.5 million is a decent price for a 1st/ 2nd line lw. Dean already spent 2 2nds on regher for 10 games plus playoffs on a dman that odds are he gone after this season. Buying jokien out was a last resort but if he worked out he would soilify our top 6. Dean has worked the cap well and this would have been a calulated risk. Its not like we have alot of bad contracts to use this option, It was a free spin of the wheel to me. Having king on our 2nd line is hurting our offense wheather you want to acknowlege it or not. To me wheather we were up 3-0 id still have this opinion.

Regehr is different, he's a UFA after the season. Ownership doesn't care about trading away draft picks, they care primarily about two things; revenue and on-ice performance. Regehr costs very little, due to being a UFA, and the trade doesn't subtract anything from the on-ice performance, only enhances it. Easy sell.

$3.5 million IS a decent price for a 1st/2nd line winger. Jokinen is that only in stretches, hence why he was dealt away for a 7th round pick. If he was a guaranteed top two line winger, he'd have fetched a lot more than that at the deadline.

Telling your owner, whose money it is you are using, that you're picking up a guy with $3.5 million left on his deal and that in all likelhood you will be buying him out after 10 games plus the playoffs isn't an easy sell. Put it another way. $3.5 million for 10 games is, prorated, equal to paying one player $28.7 million a season. That's nuts. And you can't convince anyone that Jokinen is the difference in making $3.5 million in extra revenue. Jeff Carter, sure, he has that elite level skill set to be a top performer, Jokinen doesn't have that same pedigree and disappears for stretches, including this year. And historically speaking, Jokien hasn't had great starts in new locales. With Tampa Bay he had two goals and 14 points in 20 games while with Carolina he had one goal and 11 points in 25 games. Combining those two, he had three goals and 25 points in 45 games after moving to a new team prior to this trade deadline. That's NOT 1st/2nd line winger material.

And all of this doesn't factor in that if we don't buy out Jokinen we are essentially right at the salary cap for next year and have no room for improvements.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Didn’t read all the posts, but IMO the Kings made a strategic decision to not make any drastic change to the roster in the off season due to the lockout and a couple of injuries.

With the injuries and top lines signed, I believe this was an easy decision. Why cut up a team that can hopefully re-boot and move forward, than try to adjust with multiple new players in a shortened season with many questions going into 13-14.

This overall thinking I believe drove the trade deadline decisions to do basically nothing. The long term injury to Mitchell was the only reason the Regehr trade was made, nothing else.

The reality is and based merely on finishing position, that strategy did move the Kings into a better finishing position. Now can that be parlayed into another Cup, probably not. Unlike last season when the Kings owned Vancouver like a Pimp ***** slapping his Ho, they will be a sore bunch after the St. Louis series.

But, by not making drastic moves then, IE moving Bernier/Voynov… for a potential 1-hit wonder in the off season. The Kings have solidified their position in the following seasons by being patient and make the other teams come to them for talent, not the other way around. That is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, see our own history year 1 thru about year 44. I believe Lombardi learned this from his San Jose days at the end and in Philly.

I think it is far more important to be a sold franchise, win and then make the move(s) at the deadline to make a run. Rather than trade and sign like an idiot at the start of the season constantly then spend the deadline trying to root out the cancer, then repeat.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Regehr is different, he's a UFA after the season. Ownership doesn't care about trading away draft picks, they care primarily about two things; revenue and on-ice performance. Regehr costs very little, due to being a UFA, and the trade doesn't subtract anything from the on-ice performance, only enhances it. Easy sell.

$3.5 million IS a decent price for a 1st/2nd line winger. Jokinen is that only in stretches, hence why he was dealt away for a 7th round pick. If he was a guaranteed top two line winger, he'd have fetched a lot more than that at the deadline.

Telling your owner, whose money it is you are using, that you're picking up a guy with $3.5 million left on his deal and that in all likelhood you will be buying him out after 10 games plus the playoffs isn't an easy sell. Put it another way. $3.5 million for 10 games is, prorated, equal to paying one player $28.7 million a season. That's nuts. And you can't convince anyone that Jokinen is the difference in making $3.5 million in extra revenue. Jeff Carter, sure, he has that elite level skill set to be a top performer, Jokinen doesn't have that same pedigree and disappears for stretches, including this year. And historically speaking, Jokien hasn't had great starts in new locales. With Tampa Bay he had two goals and 14 points in 20 games while with Carolina he had one goal and 11 points in 25 games. Combining those two, he had three goals and 25 points in 45 games after moving to a new team prior to this trade deadline. That's NOT 1st/2nd line winger material.

And all of this doesn't factor in that if we don't buy out Jokinen we are essentially right at the salary cap for next year and have no room for improvements.

bottom line jokien can and has shown he can play in to top 6 with success. The gamble of a 7th round or hell say 6 th round would be well worth it. 3.5 million isnt that hard of a sell when u think of the upgrade it would be over playing king there.14 point in 20 game is a good start to me. So is his 10 points in 11 game in pittsburgh. this is frist 2nd line production and sure as hell better then king. Yes we do have room for improvement if u do the buyout of mitchell or (trade stolll giving lewis 3rd line center) which if hes not ready to play u have to think about. Yes there will be changes and most of it will be having promotions from within.

Captain Mittens*

Didn’t read all the posts, but IMO the Kings made a strategic decision to not make any drastic change to the roster in the off season due to the lockout and a couple of injuries.

With the injuries and top lines signed, I believe this was an easy decision. Why cut up a team that can hopefully re-boot and move forward, than try to adjust with multiple new players in a shortened season with many questions going into 13-14.

This overall thinking I believe drove the trade deadline decisions to do basically nothing. The long term injury to Mitchell was the only reason the Regehr trade was made, nothing else.

The reality is and based merely on finishing position, that strategy did move the Kings into a better finishing position. Now can that be parlayed into another Cup, probably not. Unlike last season when the Kings owned Vancouver like a Pimp ***** slapping his Ho, they will be a sore bunch after the St. Louis series.

But, by not making drastic moves then, IE moving Bernier/Voynov… for a potential 1-hit wonder in the off season. The Kings have solidified their position in the following seasons by being patient and make the other teams come to them for talent, not the other way around. That is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, see our own history year 1 thru about year 44.

I think it is far more important to be a sold franchise, win and then make the move(s) at the deadline to make a run. Rather than trade and sign like an idiot at the start of the season constantly then spend the deadline trying to root out the cancer, then repeat.
Try to understand
Try to Understand
try, try ,try to understand

He's a Magicman!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA