Did Lombardi do enough for this team at the trade deadline?

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Or

DL probably knew Greene would be ready for the playoffs and wasn't overly worried about replacing him.

He replaced Mitchell with the best affordable player he could in Regier without killing the teams future. If he paid 2 2nds for RR, what would a guy like Mitchell be worth.

We don't know if he went after guys like Iggy, Jagr, JBo etc as he plays things tight to the vest. He may have made even better offers but it may not be the type of players the other GMs were looking for. Not having the 1st rounder would have really hurt in negotiations as well.

These playoffs are being lost by a bad bounce, a shot that is saved 99 out of 100 times and a forward core that can't put a game away.

I am actually more concerned about Sutter's decisions then our defensive core at this point

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
what a stupid thread

What's so stupid about it? It's not a fair question? It's stupid to look back and judge DL's performance for this season?

I thought that's what this message board was for, to discuss the Kings....is that stupid?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Here's the irony:

DL could easily be unemployed right now. Had the Sutter experiment failed last year, and it almost did (remember the Kings didn't clinch a playoff spot until the second to last game of season), I think the KINGS would have fired DL.

So if that happened, we'd all be criticizing him on what he didn't do last year.....but instead, he needs to be viewed as a GM who does no wrong? Maybe he's looking to stay the course and be a team that is a consistent contender (and I'm not saying that's a bad thing), but when you look at some of the aggressive moves by teams like PITT, STL, SJS, etc.....I have to think we didn't do enough for a team that should be looking to win another cup.

It was clear that Penner wasn't working out.....AGAIN, so where was the help on LW? Did DL view the Penner concept as I did, that he'll show up for the playoffs and all will work out? Well if he did, obviously Sutter doesn't agree because he's yet to play him up with Carter and Richards.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Jagr would made this team a Western conference finalist...Imagine Jagr on the top line and Williams in Kings place...
The defense isn't ideal but I thought with the right offensive support they are good enough for CF...

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Jagr would made this team a Western conference finalist...Imagine Jagr on the top line and Williams in Kings place...
The defense isn't ideal but I thought with the right offensive support they are good enough for CF...

The fascination with Jagr needs to end. Jagr is only there for offense. If the Kings turnover the puck, he'd go straight to the bench.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't see how people are tearing down DL for Penner when he has been one of our best forwards this series. Our leaders have been mostly invisible this series. Should he have traded Kopitar? I don't really understand what some expected DL to do. We needed a defenseman and we got one. We could use an upgrade in our forward ranks, but at what cost? We can't just give up every first round pick from here on out now that we are a contender, or else we won't be one for long.

The gamble actually worked, because as it has been noted, Penner has been very good for us. The key players need to step up and the team overall needs to put a greater emphasis on offense. The series has come down to a couple of weak and sudden plays. The team is fine, the makeup is fine. It is a problem in the heads of the players and in their execution. This is the job of the coach, not the GM at this point. We just need to be converting on our chances and generating more traffic in front of the net while sustaining more pressure in the offensive zone.

The solution isn't "well, if only Dean had acquired Jagr we'd totally not be in this mess". It is "well if our forwards had stepped up their game, and our leaders had more initiative and resolve offensively then we wouldn't be in this mess." We aren't going to see the exact same team last year, but defensively we've been pretty darn close. If we were only a touch better offensively, these games would be going in our favor, and it is not a personnel problem.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't see how people are tearing down DL for Penner when he has been one of our best forwards this series. Our leaders have been mostly invisible this series. Should he have traded Kopitar? I don't really understand what some expected DL to do. We needed a defenseman and we got one. We could use an upgrade in our forward ranks, but at what cost? We can't just give up every first round pick from here on out now that we are a contender, or else we won't be one for long.

The gamble actually worked, because as it has been noted, Penner has been very good for us. The key players need to step up and the team overall needs to put a greater emphasis on offense. The series has come down to a couple of weak and sudden plays. The team is fine, the makeup is fine. It is a problem in the heads of the players and in their execution. This is the job of the coach, not the GM at this point. We just need to be converting on our chances and generating more traffic in front of the net while sustaining more pressure in the offensive zone.

The solution isn't "well, if only Dean had acquired Jagr we'd totally not be in this mess". It is "well if our forwards had stepped up their game, and our leaders had more initiative and resolve offensively then we wouldn't be in this mess." We aren't going to see the exact same team last year, but defensively we've been pretty darn close. If we were only a touch better offensively, these games would be going in our favor, and it is not a personnel problem.

This is all pretty true. Jagr would have been a nice addition to an already clicking team, but he would have meant nothing if the Kings two centers continue to play like garbage.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

I think it's funny you said that, because I don't remember Penner getting a whole lot of support on this board before game 1 of thi series. He's been terrible in 2.5 regular seasons for the Kings, above average in one playoff run, and just as bad as any other forward in the current playoff series.

Unless he puts out some type of production in tHese playoffs, he's going to go down as one of the worst resignings in Kings history.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think it's funny you said that, because I don't remember Penner getting a whole lot of support on this board before game 1 of thi series. He's been terrible in 2.5 regular seasons for the Kings, above average in one playoff run, and just as bad as any other forward in the current playoff series.

Unless he puts out some type of production in tHese playoffs, he's going to go down as one of the worst resignings in Kings history.

The playoffs are all that matter at this point and we retained him on the fact that he had proven to show up during the postseason, and he has again. The entire team has 2 goals this entire series... The problem is bigger than Dustin Penner. I highly doubt that having Jokinen or Jagr is the difference between 2 goals and 5-6 when Kopitar & co. are not showing up to play. Right now, no one is producing satisfactorily. Laying it at Penner's feet just because he is the go to guy to hate is misguided. He's created more scoring chances than Kopitar.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I actually hope Penner comes back next year. To me being playoff warrior 100% gives you a pass for a sub-par regular season. Its not like we lost games in the regular season because of Penner. His KingsVision videos are always awesome as well haha

A little OT: But are there defensemen in the free agency we could get to really replace Willie Mitchell? Regehr is looking like a temporary stop gap and a true replacement is going to be needed.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The playoffs are all that matter at this point and we retained him on the fact that he had proven to show up during the postseason, and he has again. The entire team has 2 goals this entire series... The problem is bigger than Dustin Penner. I highly doubt that having Jokinen or Jagr is the difference between 2 goals and 5-6 when Kopitar & co. are not showing up to play. Right now, no one is producing satisfactorily. Laying it at Penner's feet just because he is the go to guy to hate is misguided. He's created more scoring chances than Kopitar.

But you could also say that had he been more productive during the regular season, maybe we have home ice for the first round....instead, it seemed like the dude was scratched for half the season. So basically, if he performs in the playoffs, he's worth his 4-mil, if he doesn't.....he's the biggest waste of cash in 2013? I'm betting that wasn't the gamble DL was making.

LAX attack*

I actually hope Penner comes back next year. To me being playoff warrior 100% gives you a pass for a sub-par regular season. Its not like we lost games in the regular season because of Penner. His KingsVision videos are always awesome as well haha

A little OT: But are there defensemen in the free agency we could get to really replace Willie Mitchell? Regehr is looking like a temporary stop gap and a true replacement is going to be needed.

Penner's problem is that he doesn't fit as a bottom 6 guy, but he isn't good enough for the top line.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
But you could also say that had he been more productive during the regular season, maybe we have home ice for the first round....instead, it seemed like the dude was scratched for half the season. So basically, if he performs in the playoffs, he's worth his 4-mil, if he doesn't.....he's the biggest waste of cash in 2013? I'm betting that wasn't the gamble DL was making.

It certainly wasn't when he signed him, but when he decided to not acquire a forward in favor of Penner, he was rolling on the dice that he would show up in the postseason. Also, it is not like there was a wide selection available, at least a selection that wouldn't have cost the team dearly.

This thread only exists because people are debating over the second line left winger position, or they are incorrectly blaming defense. I am not a big proponent of home ice advantage, though it is nice to have, I don't see it having a major impact on a series.

I am not defending Penner's salary. I agree that he is overpaid. I am not a fan of his and hope he is let go in the offseason. But the bottom line is that he hasn't been the problem in this series and neither has the second line left wing position. The roster we have is still very good and easily capable of winning.

The onus rests on Sutter and the forwards to get the job done offensively. Sutter has to get his lines in order and keep the players focused, and the players have to execute and perform like we know they can. DL has given the team the opportunity to win. We are not down by 2 games because of Penner, Muzzin, Ellerby, and Quick. We're down because of Brown, Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, and the bottom 6 not getting things done and doing their job.

I'd probably argue that Mitchell is the biggest waste of cash in 2013, especially if he retires in the offseason. Also Penner makes $3,250,000. Stoll makes the same and has 18 points in 48 games compared to Penner's 14 in 33.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Yet for all that dominance, they were only able to score 1 goal in regulation.A better team should've put up a few more goals. Carter was a 1/2 inch from tying the game up in the first when his shot hit the post. Once the game got to OT, it was like watching a different Kings team. They had a 4 min pp and a ton of momentum, but got an unlucky result.

Keeping the same roster really has nothing to do with the result . This isnt like baseball where teams know when a pitcher gets behind in the count, he throws a fastball. Our guys just are scoring, especially Kopitar.

We all know Quick stood on his head. The rest of the team didnt show up.

This isn't baseball. It's hockey. And personnel influences playing style. Learn how to play a certain player, counter a team's strategy, etc...

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Again reading this thread i think no he didnt do enuff at the deadline. The probelm with this team isnt the defense its the fact we need a lw for the 2nd line and to all you people saying there wasnt anyone really available. I give you Jussi Jokinen who had 11 points in 10 games after being traded for a continial pick. I think we could and should have been in on him. Having king play on the 2nd line is a huge reason we re behind in the series We need more scoring imo not more defense.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
A 2nd line LW won't make Kopitar score goals. Nor will his presence prevent Muzzerby from ****ing us in the ass.

What's killing us is our very qualified personnel not living up to expectations against an extremely talented adversary.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Again reading this thread i think no he didnt do enuff at the deadline. The probelm with this team isnt the defense its the fact we need a lw for the 2nd line and to all you people saying there wasnt anyone really available. I give you Jussi Jokinen who had 11 points in 10 games after being traded for a continial pick. I think we could and should have been in on him. Having king play on the 2nd line is a huge reason we re behind in the series We need more scoring imo not more defense.

King is not on that line to score.... King is not in the Top six to score period.

He is there so he gives Carter/Richards room to show up.

Of witch they have not.

Kopitar is a big fat zero as well.

None of that has anything to do with King.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
King is not on that line to score.... King is not in the Top six to score period.

He is there so he gives Carter/Richards room to show up.

Of witch they have not.

Kopitar is a big fat zero as well.

None of that has anything to do with King.

then what is he doing there? the 2nd line lw is soposed to score points at some point. A person like Jussi Jokinen would have added offense to that line. we have to many big hitting bodys not scoring at some point someone needs to a scoring depth

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
then what is he doing there? the 2nd line lw is soposed to score points at some point. A person like Jussi Jokinen would have added offense to that line. we have to many big hitting bodys not scoring at some point someone needs to a scoring depth

None of that matters if your 7 million/ 6 million/ 5.6 million Point leaders don't show up.

You could have Jagr there and still lose games.

One forward is not going to make Kopitar Dominant like he should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad