Did Karlsson and Subban shed their labels as "defensive liabilities"?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
wtf?

Karlsson is great on the boards. He has insane compete and stickwork and usually emerges with the puck on his stick ready to start the breakout.

you could have said he is weak tying up players in front of the net and you would have a point, but stop making things up.

Maybe not as bad as this poster suggests, but i find that Karlsson gets outmuscled rather easily along the boards

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Subban hasn't been a defensive liability ever. Neither have been defensive liabilities for a very long time. EK has been at least 'good' at D for years and has recently taken it to the next level.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Subban is a good defensive player, it's just that he is prone to make the stupid mistake from time to time. In Montreal, he did this more frequently but now that he's in Nashville and understands his role as a shut down guy, these mistakes are becoming increasingly rare. An example of this would have been that 360 no-look behind the back pass he attempted the other night that was picked off

Karlsson has improved on the defensive end for sure and is by no means a liability, but he is prone to playing loose at the front of the net. With his body type, he is built better for being the offensive workhouse that has gallons of endurance on reserve to rush up the ice. But he sacrifices pure strength and often leaves guys wide open at the front of the net as he tries to block the pass or shot. This works oftentimes but when it doesn't it can be fatal. An example of this would be the overtime goal in game 5 of the boston series.

I'm pretty sure the pass was successful?? Unless there was another 360 I missed lol

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Neither are particularly strong defensive players, and I don't think that perception or reality has changed. Neither are anywhere close to a liability to have on the ice, although Subban is overpaid given that he's Nashville's 3rd or 4th best D-man.

At least he's better than Shea Weber, who is Montreal's 5th or 6th best D-man... Based on your logic

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Karlsson is the best D-Man in the world. He has no defensive issues.
Have the people on here criticizing him watched him in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad