News Article: Did Buffalo kill its chances of winning the Connor McDavid sweepstakes?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Would we really trade Neuvirth if he plays well enough to get us an extra win here or there? I'm the biggest proponent of building from defense and offense and worrying about goalie last but it would still be nice to have a quality starter to some extent. I just have very little faith in Enroth and the time it takes to develop a goalie may interfere with our eventual return to relevance.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Murray said at the draft he wasn't shopping or looking to move any of Myers, Hodgson or Ennis. He also said he would listen if someone called about them but it would take a big overpayment to get any of them. So in other words they weren't going anywhere.

And if they were traded it would be for the type of overpayment package that would't fit with the narrative you are putting out there. That narrative being they (Myers, Ennis, Hodgson) would be assets Murray would trade to help us bottom out next year. You can try and spin this with the phrase they would be traded to make us better in the future. But this back an forth started with you insisting that Murray will do whats possible to pick at the top of the draft next year. That implies the trades would be done to make us worse in the present.

Plus, eventually the future has to arrive.

Otherwise why not next year play the "oh, we'll tank to get 2016's super draft prospect since we probably won't make the playoffs...let's trade Larsson/Pysyk/etc. because they will keep the team too good" game all over again. We can keep repeating the process ad infinitum.

At some point, the deconstruction of the failed team ends and the "building" stage of the rebuild commences.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
:handclap:

Otherwise why not next year play the "oh, we'll tank to get 2016's super draft prospect since we probably won't make the playoffs...let's trade Larsson/Pysyk/etc. because they will keep the team too good" game all over again. We can keep repeating the process ad infinitum.

At some point, the deconstruction of the failed team ends and the "building" stage of the rebuild commences.
:handclap: It better be starting now. We are honestly just 2-3 years of seasoning away from being legitimate contenders if we maintain what we have. Add the next pick and I imagine 2 years is all it will take to get back into the picture. This year will be rough, next year we will compete but fall short, and from that point on I think playoffs need to be a given.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
So.. magic beans? If this team wants to get out of the gutter after the 2015 draft players like Hodgson and Ennis will be crucial to that. Either that or we would be like the Oilers and have Horcoff in our top 6.

Players like Hodgson,Ennis,Moulson and Myers are the main reason why this team will be better, sooner. No way do I trade them for question marks.

Hodgson and Ennis is our top six for a cup run? God I hope not.

If you look at the sabres progressing there is not enough room on the roster for both Hodgson and Ennis. That makes at least one of them expendable. They are both terrible on defense and if Murray has them penciled in as our top six for our future we are in trouble.(and No, Hodgson would never be on the third line, just ask Canuck fans what he thought of that)

The only way I see Ennis and Hodgson on this team when this team is ready to compete is Armia, Gregorenko, both 2015 draft picks are all busts AND Murray does not trade for top 6 talent.

PS. There is a thread where the OP asks who are the players on the team when the sabres win the cup....
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1719731

The people arguing Ennis is a part of the core and against that he is expendable seem to have left him off their stanley cup winning sabres team. Granted Hodgson was not an option I bet he would not of been on most people's lists either. Also that does not mean I am implying they must be traded this year just that I feel Murray does not see these two guys in our top six in the future thus making them expendable.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

It already has.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The only way I see Ennis and Hodgson on this team when this team is ready to compete is Armia, Gregorenko, both 2015 draft picks are all busts AND Murray does not trade for top 6 talent.
Armia, Grigorenko, and both 2015 draft picks might be the only guys besides Reinhart with legit top 6 potential.

If all of those guys pan out, you still have room for one of Hodgson/Ennis in your top 6. If any one of them fails, you can fit both.

ZeroPT*

Hodgson and Ennis is our top six for a cup run? God I hope not.
No offense dude, but your reading comprehension is terrible. Never once did I say they'd be in our top 6 for a cup run. They're transitional players. You know why Florida,NYI and Edmonton have struggled to get better? because they never had transitional players. Only kids. Trading CoHo and Ennis for picks that we hope become Ennis and Hodgson is incredibly short minded and falls right in the HF wet dream of uncertain draft picks> established players.

If you look at the sabres progressing there is not enough room on the roster for both Hodgson and Ennis. That makes at least one of them expendable. They are both terrible on defense and if Murray has them penciled in as our top six for our future we are in trouble.(and No, Hodgson would never be on the third line, just ask Canuck fans what he thought of that)

So, you want to trade our 2 24 year old, top 6 forwards, locked up for the long term, because we have prospects? what happens when we trade these guys and our prospects bust? We'll look awful silly now won't we. Prospects aren't a sure thing, and trading our established top 6ers because we have some nice little prospects is again, incredibly short sighted.

PS. There is a thread where the OP asks who are the players on the team when the sabres win the cup....

You're arguing something I never said. I never said Ennis and Hodgson will be a part of our core. I said trading them to get worse is incredibly stupid.

The people arguing Ennis is a part of the core and against that he is expendable seem to have left him off their stanley cup winning sabres team. Granted Hodgson was not an option I bet he would not of been on most people's lists either. Also that does not mean I am implying they must be traded this year just that I feel Murray does not see these two guys in our top six in the future thus making them expendable.

How do you know this? time and time again he has said he wouldn't trade our top young players (name dropping Myers,Ennis,Hodgson and Foligno") barring a massive overpayment. He clearly rates them highly. Now, when all is said and done and we are cup contenders I don't think this team will have Ennis and Hodgson but they won't be traded in 2015 for magic beans to get worst. That's just stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

If Murray doesn't see Ennis is our future top 6, why in the ever living **** did he just sign him to a 5 year deal. He said in the damn press conference that he won't be the top line center for forever, but he'd like to switch him to wing and/or the second line.

Come on.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
you guys should easily be in the running for McEichel. You lost Miller and Erhoff, Sure you add a few nice peices, but, come one. your team will be pretty bad this year.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No offense dude, but your reading comprehension is terrible. Never once did I say they'd be in our top 6 for a cup run. They're transitional players. You know why Florida,NYI and Edmonton have struggled to get better? because they never had transitional players. Only kids. Trading CoHo and Ennis for picks that we hope become Ennis and Hodgson is incredibly short minded and falls right in the HF wet dream of uncertain draft picks> established players.

So, you want to trade our 2 24 year old, top 6 forwards, locked up for the long term, because we have prospects? what happens when we trade these guys and our prospects bust? We'll look awful silly now won't we. Prospects aren't a sure thing, and trading our established top 6ers because we have some nice little prospects is again, incredibly short sighted.

You're arguing something I never said. I never said Ennis and Hodgson will be a part of our core. I said trading them to get worse is incredibly stupid.

How do you know this? time and time again he has said he wouldn't trade our top young players (name dropping Myers,Ennis,Hodgson and Foligno") barring a massive overpayment. He clearly rates them highly. Now, when all is said and done and we are cup contenders I don't think this team will have Ennis and Hodgson but they won't be traded in 2015 for magic beans to get worst. That's just stupid.

What are magic beans? Eichel and McDavid?

As for comprehension I called them expendable and I got jumped on. People throwing around stuff like magic beans, well try reading what I posted. All I said is Murray has the ability to steer this team into the right direction and for some reason everyone started crying that Ennis and Hodgson is our future and our future wont get traded.

PS. it is not comprehension, you explained that Ennis and Hodgson are crucial to the sabres winning.
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
So.. magic beans? If this team wants to get out of the gutter after the 2015 draft players like Hodgson and Ennis will be crucial to that. Either that or we would be like the Oilers and have Horcoff in our top 6.
Players like Hodgson,Ennis,Moulson and Myers are the main reason why this team will be better, sooner. No way do I trade them for question marks.

I would hope Reinhart, McEichel, Grigorenko, Zadarov, Girgensons, Armia and Ristolainan are crucial to us wining.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Armia, Grigorenko, and both 2015 draft picks might be the only guys besides Reinhart with legit top 6 potential.

If all of those guys pan out, you still have room for one of Hodgson/Ennis in your top 6. If any one of them fails, you can fit both.

Am I the only one that thinks Hodgson and Ennis are such huge defensive liabilities, one dimensional players that unless something changes with their play they are expendable. If the sabres are trying to build a Stanley cup team I really hope Hodgson and Ennis are not penciled in as our top 6 in the finals.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks Hodgson and Ennis are such huge defensive liabilities, one dimensional players that unless something changes with their play they are expendable. If the sabres are trying to build a Stanley cup team I really hope Hodgson and Ennis are not penciled in as our top 6 in the finals.

Its not that they aren't expendable, because they are, it's WHEN they're expendable.

I could be wrong, but I believe a statement was made about Murray "influencing" the teams place at the deadline with Roster moves. I believe some said there aren't many pieces to really move, with Stafford and Stewart being the most likely options.

Then I believe you mentioned the Ennis and Hodgson being expendable which people on these boards, took as Ennis and Hodgson should be traded at the deadline to influence their place for Mcdavid or Eichel. Though we do have guys with experience, Ennis and Hodgson are our most TALENTED top 6 players who are our veterans and it would be an awful hockey move to get rid of these two guys BEFORE any of the young guys are ready.

You probably won't find reliable young options like them, at their contracts they have, out in the market place just yet. You may not like this, but Ennis and Hodgson are, at this time, the main pieces to our offense. You get rid of them, you put guys in roles they are not ready to be in. If you're trading them for younger pieces, which I don't think is that wise, then you should be expecting a longer rebuild process. For Example, Imagine if Giroux didn't have Briere and Richards ahead of him. How long do you think it would've taken Giroux to be able to handle #1 center duties?

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
If Murray doesn't see Ennis is our future top 6, why in the ever living **** did he just sign him to a 5 year deal. He said in the damn press conference that he won't be the top line center for forever, but he'd like to switch him to wing and/or the second line.

Come on.

Asset management. Ennis is a good bridge player. If he would be under contract only, let's say, three years, he were not going to hold too much value if he were to be shopped after two seasons. Now he has a lot of value after two season because he still would have three seasons with lesser actual salary thanks to the frontloading.

It's not that they aren't expendable - it's that if they are going to be traded, that trade is going to improve our team immediately.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Am I the only one that thinks Hodgson and Ennis are such huge defensive liabilities, one dimensional players that unless something changes with their play they are expendable.

They are not currently expendable. The hope around here is that prospects develop (Reinhart, Grigorenko, Armia, Baptiste, etc) such that Ennis and Hodgson EVENTUALLY become expendable.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

I think Hodgson will be the one to eventually go, though it's to early to say with any confidence. This season will tell us a lot about Hodgson's future with the team.

I think Ennis is safe because Murray and Nolan both love his attitude. He was given a 5 year contract for a reason.

Neither player will be a HUGE liability once they're on the wings. The difference between a center's defensive responsibilities and a winger's defensive responsibilities is night and day. Look at Marchand, he's found a place on Boston's roster not because he has great two-way play, but because he brings creativity in the offensive zone and speed and agility to the wings; those attributes are useful to any team.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
A little off topic, but the Islanders pick looks a lot better now that I selected JT to my fantasy team. Every year he is on my roster he gets injured or has a down year. You are welcome for my sacrifice.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think you understand the difference between "not expendable" and "untouchable." Maybe someone with more patience than me can explain it to you.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Also, I've said it before, I'll say it again. If the likes of McEichel, the Islanders pick, Armia/Grigo, and a top-dollar UFA winger can combine to form a top scoring line, and then 3/5 of Reinhart, Girgensons, Larrson, Compher, and Baptise could form a two way domination line (think Drury/Grier in 05-06), then I would have no problem whatsoever in anyway with the likes of Ennis, Hodgson, and whoever else that makes it (Carrier, Fashing, Cornell, anyone else in our pipeline) forming a scoring 3rd line that feasts on opponents third pairings like RAV did in 05-07. No problem with that at all.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Asset management. Ennis is a good bridge player. If he would be under contract only, let's say, three years, he were not going to hold too much value if he were to be shopped after two seasons. Now he has a lot of value after two season because he still would have three seasons with lesser actual salary thanks to the frontloading.

It's not that they aren't expendable - it's that if they are going to be traded, that trade is going to improve our team immediately.

Ennis and Hodgson's deals make them valuable to us if they were kept as well. Secondary scorers of their caliber signed for that kind of coin is good value now and will be even more so in a couple seasons.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The problem is you're conflating two different things. On the one hand, what will Murray do to adjust the roster to stay in contention for a top pick? On the other hand, will Ennis and Hodgson be a part of the roster when we're a contender?

Whether or not those two are part of the picture down the road won't be decided this year. So they are not pieces that will be moved to keep us in contention for a top pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/expectation-for-buffalo-to-make-playoffs-says-gionta/

“My expectation is to make the playoffs. I didn’t go [to Buffalo] to sit around and watch the playoffs on TV,†Gionta said, per ESPN. “The expectation is to make the playoffs and continue to grow and build. I think that’s the first step. I think it’s a realistic step to try to get in there in the playoffs.â€

This is not the tank commander we are looking for.

Don't give him the C.

:sarcasm:

ZeroPT*

What are magic beans? Eichel and McDavid?

As for comprehension I called them expendable and I got jumped on. People throwing around stuff like magic beans, well try reading what I posted. All I said is Murray has the ability to steer this team into the right direction and for some reason everyone started crying that Ennis and Hodgson is our future and our future wont get traded.

PS. it is not comprehension, you explained that Ennis and Hodgson are crucial to the sabres winning.
go find where I said they are crucial to the team winning. Stop making stuff up and playing victim. It's lame.

You were "jumped on" because you made a ridiculous proposition that we should trade Hodgson and Ennis to become worse and get a shot at Eichel/McDavid. If you actually think TM would trade the guys he has repeatedly identified as our top young NHLers to become worse and get a better pick, I can't help you.

I would hope Reinhart, McEichel, Grigorenko, Zadarov, Girgensons, Armia and Ristolainan are crucial to us wining.

Do you not understand what I was trying to say? Can you not simply comprehend that Ennis,Hodgson and co might not be core players, but they are still important to the team? When this team tries to get out of the gutter, these guys will be important. The reason why the sabres won't be bad for long is because we have NHL talent in place and not a bunch of kids like the Panthers,Isles or Oilers.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
They suck at defense because our checking center for the past two seasons has either been awful vets or one of them.

And they won't be "top six" players, we'll have a checking line that plays over them unless either Hodgson or Ennis has a higher offensive or defensive ceiling than I'm crediting them with. But given realistic expectations they'll be veteran secondary scorers, and I'm more than fine with that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They suck at defense because our checking center for the past two seasons has either been awful vets or one of them.

And they won't be "top six" players, we'll have a checking line that plays over them unless either Hodgson or Ennis has a higher offensive or defensive ceiling than I'm crediting them with. But given realistic expectations they'll be veteran secondary scorers, and I'm more than fine with that.

One of the hidden gems of Regier's tank strategy was in leaving the checking centre void for so long. Whether brilliant foresight or oblivion, it certainly had the desired effects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad