Did Babcock have it right to begin with?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Isn't this the exact argument about how pointless it is to bring up Babcock's cup/medals? He was handed the keys to the best team by a large margin and basically his job was to not screw it up.

Kind of funny to bring that up.

Also, hasn't Keefe won at every level he's coached at so far?

And he didn't. Shame we can't say that about our current GM

Reactions: PromisedLand

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Freddie has been replacement level for a long time, Campbell is as unproved as Freddie.

Keefe as the coach is on a 105pt pace.

Foligno has played like 10 regular season games for us, why is he being factored in here?

Hyman is the only legit argument, conveniently, last year during the regular season Thornton and Hyman were both equally effective on that line, so I think the line was driven by Marner/Matthews, not Hyman, but he is still a legit loss.

The Metro being some powerhouse is overblown. Carolina and the Islanders had similar records to us when Covid hit.

Florida has gotten better, so there is maybe a chance that we are looking at a wildcard spot, but I still think the Leafs are the better team and nothing that has happened in the last couple years would indicate otherwise other than hurt feelings.

We'll see what happens. All I am saying though is don't be surprised if we're touch and go to make the playoffs. I hope to God that I am wrong obviously. But I don't think I am going to be.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'll anxiously await Kid Kyle's 3 Stanley Cups, HOF Induction, and B2B GM of the Year wins.

Which Olympics do you think Keefe will be selected to coach Team Canada?

Let's compare Lou and Dubas when they hit the same time in the league, so like 40 more years?

And I don't know if Keefe will ever coach team Canada, but I firmly believe anyone could coach team Canada and win gold, lets not act like the coaching is what gets them over the hump.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We'll see what happens. All I am saying though is don't be surprised if we're touch and go to make the playoffs. I hope to God that I am wrong obviously. But I don't think I am going to be.

I think it is more likely we finish first in our division than outside of a playoff spot. I just think people are underestimating this team because they didn't like the results of the playoffs, but this is still a very good team.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I think it is more likely we finish first in our division than outside of a playoff spot. I just think people are underestimating this team because they didn't like the results of the playoffs, but this is still a very good team.

I am just getting a bad feeling that that 3-1 choke job to the Habs may have permanently f***ed up their confidence and it's going to carry over into next season.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Let's compare Lou and Dubas when they hit the same time in the league, so like 40 more years?

And I don't know if Keefe will ever coach team Canada, but I firmly believe anyone could coach team Canada and win gold, lets not act like the coaching is what gets them over the hump.

And yet only one other coach has done so in the past 60 years. But you are right, Keefe will never coach Team Canada at the Olympics.

Reactions: FraumBallard

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was a problem in the sense that he wasn't on the same page with the young core and not motivating them, developing them and having incremental success with them year over year. Results matter, and not having any means you lose your job eventually.

But obviously whatever game plan he tried to devise had some inherent merit to it, even if a lot of that came in the form of an adversarial old school "prick coach."

What remains to be seen is if this current game plan is closer to the championship secret sauce recipe.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I think Babcock understood what this team "needed" but went about it terribly. He seemed to understand the issues, lack of intensity, back checking, physicality etc. But just addressed those concerns terribly. Also him refusing to make adjustments was painful as hell to watch.

Outside of the Marner situation, I’m not sure what else he did to upset the young core. I mean, they wanted to play more, and he refused to play then before they earned it… but that’s just good development.

As for the adjustments, I don’t think he ever changed from development coaching to winning coaching. It really looked like he was more concerned with teaching lessons than winning hockey games at times.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
The same posters here that wanted a HOF GM in Lou Lamoriello replaced by Kyle Dubas, because supposedly, Lou was too old and out of touch, are the same group who wanted Babcock fired and replaced by Keefe.

So let’s see, what has Lou done since he left?

Oh just completely turned around the perennial basement dwelling New York Islanders, gotten them into the second round of the playoffs in his first year and then taken them into the conference finals the next two years and in the process won the GM of the year in back to back seasons.

So with all due respect, hopefully you’ll forgive me and many others here, who get just a little bit frustrated having to listen now to all the creatively lame excuses about why Dubas has failed to make any progress in moving the Leafs forward, especially when they appeared to be well on their way to finally doing something significant with the GM you wanted replaced.

The bottom line here is you got the GM you pushed for, you got the coach your GM supposedly needed and the results have been very underwhelming.

So perhaps remedy your misjudgment by; stopping the non-stop excuses, suggesting more time is needed and just own the results of your misjudgment.

I’m sorry, but Dubas just isn’t the great GM you thought he would be and he’ll most likely be replaced after this year, by someone with more experience after we have wasted 4 years figuring out what many of us already knew, which was, Dubas wasn’t ready to be the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think Marner should play with Tavares and Matthews with Nylander again.

Anyway, status quo, not really overly anticipating much changing from the first exit woes.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I think Babcock understood what this team "needed" but went about it terribly. He seemed to understand the issues, lack of intensity, back checking, physicality etc. But just addressed those concerns terribly. Also him refusing to make adjustments was painful as hell to watch.
His arrogance was his downfall. You're asking to be fired when you play stupid head games with players and act like you have as much authourity as the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad