Rumor: Dhaliwal- Canucks no longer the Front Runners for Ethan Bear- Handful of teams interested, 3 are very very interested-Video of Bear skating

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks will sign Bear,

Leafs will trade for Myers retained , for a 5th or worse round pick by Jan 1.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Only one team will be successful in signing him and it may not be Toronto
Yeah and I don’t think it will be the Canucks if it requires a Myers trade. I think it will be a team that can guarantee Bear minutes.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I get the sense this is Dhaliwal doing what he does, working the media for those agents as a mouthpiece. Vancouver probably are still the frontrunner very much, but the agent has probably got a few other tire kicking calls and wants to make sure that's floated out there to try to get Bear a slightly better contract with Vancouver. Whether that's an extra year or extra money, or who knows.

But that's usually what it means when Dhaliwal says stuff like that.

Although it is certainly possible that the acquisition of Zadorov puts Bears potential minutes/role into question a little bit more and gives him a bit of pause before jumping back in.

It just seems crazy to me that he'd take a different offer somewhere else, unless it's a substantially better offer or opportunity somehow. He's had some real bad runs with other teams. Basically got ran out of Edmonton. With Carolina...he found out what happens when you have an injury at an inopportune time, and then just end up sideline while healthy desperately trying to get back into the lineup at all. And he's coming off a lengthy injury here. So having that leash and track record with Vancouver, in a place where he's seemed to be really embraced by the team and the fans and given a real opportunity...you'd think that'd be high on the priority list. But maybe he's willing to roll the dice on something else. :dunno:

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
The agent doesn't want the Canucks thinking they have this in the bag.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
A guy who played on the first pairing with Quinn Hughes is “fringe”? 😂

Bear is, at worst, a number 4 defenseman on the Canucks right now. Full stop.
We have Cole, zadorov and Soucy which are better than Bear imo

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Is he eligible for the playoffs if he signs now? I thought the deadline was Dec 1?

Edit: I'm guessing I'm wrong - saw in one of the other threads Dec 1 is RFA related and not UFA?

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
We have Cole, zadorov and Soucy which are better than Bear imo
All lefties. Tocchet likes dmen playing their natural side. Right sided depth dmen include Myers, Juulsen and Friedman. Who doesn't Bear beat out here?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Is he eligible for the playoffs if he signs now? I thought the deadline was Dec 1?

Edit: I'm guessing I'm wrong - saw in one of the other threads Dec 1 is RFA related and not UFA?

UFAs have to sign before the trade deadline IIRC. RFA's need to sign before December 1 to play at all that year.

Reactions: tailfins

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
All lefties. Tocchet likes dmen playing their natural side. Right sided depth dmen include Myers, Juulsen and Friedman. Who doesn't Bear beat out here?
Some of them can switch and play on right side.

It doesn't mean we scratch soucy and zadorov to play juulsen just because juulsen can play on the right side lol

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Some of them can switch and play on right side.

It doesn't mean we scratch soucy and zadorov to play juulsen just because juulsen can play on the right side lol
Like I said, Canucks would prefer not to play dmen on their offside. They have done it and will do it again if they feel that is their best option but that isn't their preference

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
UFAs have to sign before the trade deadline IIRC. RFA's need to sign before December 1 to play at all that year.

That's not correct.

The Dec 1 deadline is about signing players who are playing outside of North America and who aren't on an NHL reserve list. They must first be offered on waivers before they can play in the NHL. This does not apply to unsigned players playing, for example, in the AHL or NCAA, or waiting at home (e.g. Shane Pinto, Patrick Kane, Phil Kessel). It also does not apply to unsigned draft choices who are playing in Europe.

Reactions: Marshall

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Like I said, Canucks would prefer not to play dmen on their offside. They have done it and will do it again if they feel that is their best option but that isn't their preference
Problem is they are forced to since Cole, Hughes, zadorov and soucy are all lefties. Hronek and Myers are the only righties.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Problem is they are forced to since Cole, Hughes, zadorov and soucy are all lefties. Hronek and Myers are the only righties.
There is a decent chance that one of them are going to be injured. As of right now, Soucy is injured for the foreseeable future

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Soucy is injured and will be back in 2 to 4 weeks
It's an extremely rare event for all of the Canucks defense to be healthy at the same time. As we know with injuries, there can be set backs so it's hardly predictable

The organization knows this and know they lack the depth on the right side especially which explains their interest in Bear in the first place and their continued focus on right shot dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad