Dhaliwal: Bruins one of the teams interested in Hutton

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Hutton and a 2nd for Ryan Spooner would be about the most Benning trade imaginable.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hutton should not be traded unless its for a overpayment

player............GA/60- GF/60- Zone/S-QOC- SAT%
Biega................ 1.71.....1.37.....51.85.......8.....49.44......Has pretty good numbers with sheltered usage. Is uber aggressive and doesn't yield much. Should play more but has a tendency to break down as he plays more.
Gudbranson.... 2.00....1.53.....46.84......6.....42.49.....Afraid to say it but he bends and doesn't break somewhat. Stands out with poor puck movement and should just plaster guys and turn pucks over more often.
Hutton............. 2.13....1.96.....50.36......5......48.36... Has held his own in most categories. Decent GA, Struggled badly offensively (unlucky too) and gets walked too often. Was a good top4 in November
Stecher..............2.52...2.04.....52.88......3.....50.43....Has started to turn his game around. Needs a few bounces offensively. Has been inconsistent. Is pretty good with Edler mostly
Tanev............... 2.54....3.18.....42.93......1......48.56....Incredible numbers for the toughest assignment and zone starts. His transitional passing sets him apart. Amazing plus minus on this poor defensive team
Edler................ 2.57....1.88.....48.15.......2.....47.17.....Would be solid on a 2nd pair. Gets over used and makes too many mental mistakes as his minutes get too high. Would be nice if we can afford to move him soon.
Del Zotto..........2.89....2.06.....50.82......4......45.40...Bleeds shots is ultra aggressive but runs around like crazy. Can be fun to watch and has some nice tools but he needs lots of help and doesn't get it on this team.
Pouliot............. 2.97....1.76......58.77.......7......49.31....Just an absolute disaster. Easiest comp and zone starts and far and away the worst defensively with mediocre offensive push. Terrible

Pouliot needs to go down. He's absolutely crushing this already poor defensive team while adding very little final product in the offensive zone. His Corsi is why this stat needs to be taken with a grain of salt without additional context. Directing pucks at the net or helping do so has little value if you can't finish off plays and then when conversely having them against they are grade A scoring chances without much resistance. It's a huge difference from players that can contain mostly to the outside and are strong with their sticks and positioning to clear from high danger areas.

Del Zotto should be shopped as hard as anyone. He's not a terrible player but he's just not good for this team. On a team with fast good defensive players and a more defensive system he could flourish but without playing with Tanev he's in an unfavorable pairing and our forwards are poor overall with coverage.

Gudbranson should also be shopped hard. I would enetertain retianing him if he will take a short term pay cut deal if the offers are 3rd round pick bad. I think he's gone but my take is we have nothing from within to replace him with other than Biega who i think is better suited as a 4RD. A 3 year deal without trade clauses could buy us some time and a little push back. Shopping free agency is expensive and there is very little to choose from that might come here. Were in a lose lose unfortunately

Hutton needs to be built back up some how some way. Play him with Tanev and give him some PP minutes. Then maybe you entertain something as perhaps Juolevi and someone else comes in. As shown he's been one of our better 5v5 defensive players and he's pretty good at takeaways and has some offence to give somewhere if he can gain a shred of confidence back

Reactions: gb90 and Ryp37

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Nah, Spooner is actually a good player.Aint gonna happen unless we add pick.............
Oh ****
Bruins fans consider Spooner the forward version of YDD. Maybe he's improved this year, maybe he's just getting luckier.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I wouldn’t trade Tanev, Stecher or Hutton. Edler likely wont waive. The other 4 can be moved but they won’t generate much of a return. Still they should be moved. You then look for ways to push Stecher and Hutton back to the 5-7 spots...you acquire at least 1 if not 2 proper second pairing guys come the summer. I assume Juolevi will be around to fill the other 5-7 spot. It will remain a very thin blueline for the next couple of years.

My guess at what will happen is not that. They will move Hutton who on his new team will be paired with a stable partner as the 5-6 pairing and his play will be good. Gudbranson they will refuse to recognize is a sunk cost and being disappointed in the offers they get sign him to a 4 year deal. Del Zotto they will not move. Pouliot they keep refusing to recognize how bad he is.

Now I say all this with an exception..if they get a really good offer for Tanev or Edler waives then be open to trading them.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Vomit. I guess it's only fitting that Jimbo does some kind of gut punch as his swan song in his horrible trainwreck of a tenure here.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Maybe one day these muppets will learn you don't have to spend assets to acquire "seat fillers"

That be a horrible justification

Wasn't Gagner dubbed Sedin insurance :laugh:

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Benning is getting rid of every player Gillis drafted or signed for scraps. It seems like a revenge for something I really don't understand.

We are rebuilding and we are considering the hypothesis of trading an under-25 top 4 D, because the coach doesn't like it?

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Spooner another redundant soon to be overpriced Center that will not help the team win any more games than they currently do.

And you know he'll be overpriced because just like the Sutter deal Benning will be trying to sign him to a big extension right away. If ownership doesn't step in and say enough on the Lindenning era this team could be stuck with $6 mill dollar man Eriksson, $4.5 million dollar foundational center Sutter, $4.5 mil dollar a year gritty high scrums/60 Gudbranson (jsut ignore he's not really either of those things) and $4 million dollar a year seat filler Spooner.

This organization has ZERO blueline depth. When healthy they are still playing guys who don't belong in the NHL fulltime. So no matter what you think of Subban or Hutton, it appears to be quite likely that in a few weeks we will see that this season those two have been moved for the likes of Dowd and Spooner. Now sure the team also has little center depth or winger depth or any depth but the blueline is the biggest issue. Destroying what marginal depth you have there for Dowd and Spooner and ridiculous.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Spooner is a Sam Gagner clone and yet another slow ES liability who is only useful on the PP on a team that already has about 6 players like this. He's the last player in the world we should be targeting.

Unless of course, your GM is a dumb suck of rocks neanderthal who thinks he has genius level intellect.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Spooner is a Sam Gagner clone and yet another slow ES liability who is only useful on the PP on a team that already has about 6 players like this. He's the last player in the world we should be targeting.
Absolutely. Talk about sheltered player. 77.3 Offensive Zone Start%. 8 goals, 14 assists in 32 games. Not to mention 11 of those assists come on the PowerPlay

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Damn I forgot to add Gagner's $3.1 mil to my list above...

Spooner would be a bad decision. So of course that is the decision that will be made.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
LOL - typical.

*cult leader* JD Burke spews a bunch of hot garbage about the Canucks being interested in Ryan Spooner, and his minions come to the attack.

Spooner isn't coming here. The Canucks already have enough centers. Benning knows that. If Hutton gets moved, it will either be for a pick, prospect, or a RHD.

If JD Burke was the GM of the Canucks, we'd look exactly like Arizona and Buffalo - for the next 10 years.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
LOL - typical.

*cult leader* JD Burke spews a bunch of hot garbage about the Canucks being interested in Ryan Spooner, and his minions come to the attack.

Spooner isn't coming here. The Canucks already have enough centers. Benning knows that. If Hutton gets moved, it will either be for a pick, prospect, or a RHD.

If JD Burke was the GM of the Canucks, we'd look exactly like Arizona and Buffalo - for the next 10 years.

Ironic. Keep pumping those Benning tires, they’re almost flat.

Reactions: brokenhole

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ironic you calling someone else a cult leader.

Lol, I'm not leading anyone. Unless a few random guys clicking 'like' on some of my posts equates to me being a cult leader.

I'll give JD Burke credit though The dude has flat out built himself up to relevancy.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Lol, I'm not leading anyone. Unless a few random guys clicking 'like' on some of my posts equates to me being a cult leader.

I'll give JD Burke credit though The dude has flat out built himself up to relevancy.

You certainly try harder ;). Also I edited that post as, despite our arguments, I didn’t think it was appropriate. My apologies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hutton still has something to prove, a young defense-man learning as he goes. Last I checked we don't have many young defense-man in the system that can play at this level, it doesn't make sense.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It seems like Benning and co. genuinely think that eventually one of the Vey/Granlund/Gagner/Spooner type players they acquire is gonna be an astronomical home run that develops into an 80 point first line center, which makes the 4-5 aggregate second round picks given up and millions in cap space worth it. This player will achieve those results not because of talent or historical production at every level of their career, but because they had the luck of meeting Jim Benning or John Weisbrod at some point in their lives and made a good impression as a character guy.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hutton still has something to prove, a young defense-man learning as he goes. Last I checked we don't have many young defense-man in the system that can play at this level, it doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that an organization that lacks depth everywhere and sits bottom 5 in the league yet again is even contemplating these younger player-for-younger player moves. Aging vet for younger player are fine (I prefer picks unless it's a true excellent prospect not a guy getting passed on the depth chart like Vey and Goldobin).

But outside the aging vet for younger asset type deals they should be keeping what youth they have EVEN IF they don't particularly believe in that youth provided the contract is reasonable. Hutton while getting a big raise next year still doesn't have an albatross contract so that shouldn't be a concern. In addition, he has been by all measures the 3rd or 4th best D-man on this team. Changes should not be starting with him.

And really that extends to Pouliot if I'm honest with myself. You keep him around because at worst he can help the farm. Though I'd be much less concerned if he is moved (who would take him?).

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Benning is getting rid of every player Gillis drafted or signed for scraps. It seems like a revenge for something I really don't understand.

We are rebuilding and we are considering the hypothesis of trading an under-25 top 4 D, because the coach doesn't like it?

In what world is Hutton a top 4 D ???

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad