Dexter - If it had ended after Season 4

ytsur*

What would its legacy be? On a funny note, I saw a set of Dexter DVDs at a store recently, and it was only Seasons 1-4. Maybe Showtime finally took a clue. Too little, too late, though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Certainly one of the greatest crime dramas of all time.

Though iirc, the way season 4 ends would leave a fair bit of the show unresolved.

Which I guess doesn't matter to me. Everyone told me I shouldn't bother watching past season 4 so I didn't and won't.

member 51464

An overrated show with awful acting and silliness still. Great concept completely undermined by poor, well, everything.

What I'd like to see is the show without his monologue overlaid. It might somehow be even worse!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
An overrated show with awful acting and silliness still. Great concept completely undermined by poor, well, everything.

What I'd like to see is the show without his monologue overlaid. It might somehow be even worse!

I mean Deb sure.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Honestly, I liked the series and watched it to the end. Michael C. Hall is just that good.

The seasons are all a blur but assuming that season 4 was the Trinity one, it was indeed my favourite.

Also, with the way season 1 ended, you can argue that was a great closing scene to end the series. What if it ended at the end of season 1?

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The way season 4 ended could of been a legit series finale, Dexter losing to a superior serial killer. Maybe you could add Dexter takes the fall for his wifes murder or something but how it was could of worked

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Meh, a hit show like Dexter was never going to pack it up after 4 seasons. And the end of season 4 could NOT have been a series finale. And I disagree with people that say the show was awful after season 4. It dropped off yes, but it was only truly bad to me in the last 2/3 of season 8.

I think if the show runners had planned it to be 6 seasons and incorporated some of the better ideas from S5-8, then it could've ended as a great show. But they got into the habit of just coming up with a new idea every season to keep the show going and it showed.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Meh, a hit show like Dexter was never going to pack it up after 4 seasons. And the end of season 4 could NOT have been a series finale. And I disagree with people that say the show was awful after season 4. It dropped off yes, but it was only truly bad to me in the last 2/3 of season 8.

I think if the show runners had planned it to be 6 seasons and incorporated some of the better ideas from S5-8, then it could've ended as a great show. But they got into the habit of just coming up with a new idea every season to keep the show going and it showed.

I somewhat agree with you. The show obviously hit it's peak in season 4 but the latter seasons had some interesting concepts, they just didn't execute them as well as the previous seasons. I think season 5 suffered from it's placement in the show. If it would have happened before the Trinity Killer season, people wouldn't think it's crap. The Trinity season just made everything tame after. Kind of like how GoT have to surpass themselves every season.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I somewhat agree with you. The show obviously hit it's peak in season 4 but the latter seasons had some interesting concepts, they just didn't execute them as well as the previous seasons. I think season 5 suffered from it's placement in the show. If it would have happened before the Trinity Killer season, people wouldn't think it's crap. The Trinity season just made everything tame after. Kind of like how GoT have to surpass themselves every season.

In hindsight, I think the season 2 Bay Harbour Butcher thing was done too early in the show. It was a great season, but I think that idea should've been part of the show's endgame. It just bothers me so much that the show ended with his co-workers never knowing for a fact that Dexter had been a serial killer all along.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It could have ended just about any other way than how it actually did and it would have been great. Instead we got Dexter sailing into a ****ing hurricane after he dumped his sister's body into the ocean and he magically wakes up as a lumberjack. Absolute garbage.

Had the show ended after season 4, people would have complained that they never explored the storyline of deb knowing who he is, which would have sucked to not see unfold.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It could have ended just about any other way than how it actually did and it would have been great. Instead we got Dexter sailing into a ****ing hurricane after he dumped his sister's body into the ocean and he magically wakes up as a lumberjack. Absolute garbage.

Had the show ended after season 4, people would have complained that they never explored the storyline of deb knowing who he is, which would have sucked to not see unfold.

The problem wasn't just the ending though. It was almost the entire final season: introducing a bunch of filler characters, mishandling Dr Vogel (who seemed like an awesome character at first), a ****** serial killer and centering the season on a hunt for Hannah McKay rather than Dexter.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Banshee's 4 seasons were better and it's not going into the pantheon of all time great shows, although I loved it. Dexter was good but never at any point an all-time great show.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Banshee's 4 seasons were better and it's not going into the pantheon of all time great shows, although I loved it. Dexter was good but never at any point an all-time great show.

I agree with you, but I have to think that being on Cinemax is why Banshee got so little exposure, when compared to what Showtime did for Dexter.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I agree with you, but I have to think that being on Cinemax is why Banshee got so little exposure, when compared to what Showtime did for Dexter.

If Banshee was on HBO or on a network with more exposure I know it would have been a ton more popular. It's not for everyone but I have to think that with all the crap comic book shows that get a decent sized audience, it would have crushed it on a popular network.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
still an all time great show, still with no real ending

im fine with Deb finding out and the fallout of it over a couple of seasons, im just mad about how those seasons were written

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I kept thinking about it. And god was Deb a terrible part of the show. Her swearing edginess was so forced and her romances were not once believable. And she was so dramatic about them. Oh excuse me. Melodramatic.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
It could have ended after the first episode (that was a great episode) after that the show went downhill - and fast. Deb was annoying, but not nearly as annoying a LaGuardia(sp?), every 'side plot' was bad, as humorous as Masuka was he was way to fake, Batista was also just fake/annoying, Quinn was ok and I did not mind Rita... really Dexter was the only character that was bearable and even he became bad/unbelievable after a short time (though well acted).

I understand it was based on books, but it should have been made to be somewhat believable. Every season was more outrageous than the previous and... well... the ending...

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I always thought the only compelling part of Dexter was his relationship with Doakes. I liked how this serial killer could fool everyone else on earth except this one guy who realized that the pieces didn't add up. After Doakes died I stopped caring what happened and didn't watch the rest of the show

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I always thought the only compelling part of Dexter was his relationship with Doakes. I liked how this serial killer could fool everyone else on earth except this one guy who realized that the pieces didn't add up. After Doakes died I stopped caring what happened and didn't watch the rest of the show

Doakes treatment in the books was awesome. To kill him off so early was terrible.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Season 7 was the best. Lots of layers, including the Doakes storyline. And that dialogue between Dexter and the Russian bad guy who was gay (forget his name) was really top notch.

Season 4 a close 2nd.

Season 8? complete joke

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
so I'm the only one that thinks season 3 and 4 were garbage.

Season 1 and 2 though..

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I always thought that there were good moments after Season 4, but it did seem difficult for the writing staff to put together a strong season. I was one of the few who liked Lumen and S5 (though it was still uneven and stood no chance of measuring up to S4) because of how it changed Dexter as a person. After her whole ordeal and doing what she did in S5, and then leaving when Dexter sees someone who can be himself with, and his reaction to that, it might have been the rawest emotion Dexter had shown to that point (right there with Rita, but he always admitted that he didn't really love Rita. He certainly liked her--a great deal, but he always pretended in front of her).

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

I can agree with this.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Dexter suffers from lots of things. Main things off the top of my head

1. None of the side stories have anything to do with anything. EVER. They are purely time fillers and are made as uninteresting as humanly possible.

2. Deb is one of the worst characters of all time, and she is in EVERY episode.

3. The ending. I actually wish I never saw the ending. Its truly horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad