Prospect Info: Devon Levi, G (Obtained in Reinhart trade) Northeastern University (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
Again, that's a what if principal. I'm not interested in getting into what if's on a kid who is 19. For me to look at his value "right now" he's a mid tier prospect at best. It's IMPOSSBILE to justify calling him a future franchise goalie. I'm sorry. Posts like this are pointless. We should have been AT THE LEAST able to get a 2nd round pick added on or another prospect (Sourdif).

Most prospects are what ifs. I never said he was a future franchise goalie. But goalies are different, I don't put as much stock into where they were drafted.

If Luongo was high enough on him that he was adamant the Panthers take him I am at least curious to see how he develops at University next year. Panthers even considered taking him in an earlier round because they wanted to make sure they got him

I would have been happy with another 2nd round pick tacked on but I don't think Levi was just some kind of toss in

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Been watching some footage on him the last few days. I think his draft status should be completely removed from our perception of him. He’s a goalie with fantastic mechanics and really strong puck tracing skills. Biggest thing that pops out to me is that he looks and plays much bigger than his size. He’s incredibly athletic too and uses a combination of reflex and logic to stop pucks.

As MillerTime noted, he doesn’t seem to be a toss in. I think with the limited scouts, KA and co. have done most of their in person scouting through tournaments. There’s a Cozens connection too here which is cool. I think they targeted him in the a Reinhart trade. Pretty damn solid goalie prospect.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would have been happy with another 2nd round pick tacked on but I don't think Levi was just some kind of toss in

I would have put conditions on an additional pick based on team results if they protected it or they went to the conference finals triggering additional picks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I doubt Button has a crystal ball. And Levi may have wanted out of Florida with Bob and Knight there. That video was before the trade.

He might not view UPL and Portillo the same way.

The problem is Knight was a high 1st round pick--so he will get many opportunities in the job to be starting goalie than a 7th rounder does

being only one draft year behind, hed be in his shadow, moreso than if he was 3 years behind like he is with UPL.

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
If the draft had taken place after the WJC U-20, Levi would have probably been drafted closer to the 2nd or 3rd round. Just my opinion, but he was stellar in that tournament.
As I read, he didn't allow a single 5 on 5 goal. All of his goals against him came short-handed. Do you know which teams he played against?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Future Pro is headed up by former Leafs goalie coach Steve McKichan.

Shooters: John Gilmour (Buffalo Sabres/Rochester Americans), Jeremy Davies (Nashville Predators/Milwaukee Admirals)

That is interesting...

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Been watching some footage on him the last few days. I think his draft status should be completely removed from our perception of him. He’s a goalie with fantastic mechanics and really strong puck tracing skills. Biggest thing that pops out to me is that he looks and plays much bigger than his size. He’s incredibly athletic too and uses a combination of reflex and logic to stop pucks.

As MillerTime noted, he doesn’t seem to be a toss in. I think with the limited scouts, KA and co. have done most of their in person scouting through tournaments. There’s a Cozens connection too here which is cool. I think they targeted him in the a Reinhart trade. Pretty damn solid goalie prospect.
Way more excited about Levi than UPL. Levi is the future.

Reactions: PuckSim8

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Way more excited about Levi than UPL. Levi is the future.

I wouldn't go that far.

The questions both about Levi's size and his signability are legit concerns.

I am excited about Levi as another goalie lotto ticket in the pipeline. I'm probably more excited about him than about any of the '21 goalies not named Wallstedt or Cossa.

Reactions: elchud

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I wouldn't go that far.

The questions both about Levi's size and his signability are legit concerns.

I am excited about Levi as another goalie lotto ticket in the pipeline. I'm probably more excited about him than about any of the '21 goalies not named Wallstedt or Cossa.

Yep my feelings exactly.

Goalie prospects are lottery tickets. I'm happier having three tickets (UPL, Portillo, Levi) than only two. Better chance one of them would pay off.

If I were an NHL GM, I'd probably draft a goalie in the 3rd-5th round every year. They're such a crapshoot, and most of them will bust, but when you do hit on one, it really helps stabilize your franchise for years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yep my feelings exactly.

Goalie prospects are lottery tickets. I'm happier having three tickets (UPL, Portillo, Levi) than only two. Better chance one of them would pay off.

If I were an NHL GM, I'd probably draft a goalie in the 3rd-5th round every year. They're such a crapshoot, and most of them will bust, but when you do hit on one, it really helps stabilize your franchise for years.

With the chance of having 3 1sts next year, I do think it will be interesting to see if there is a goalie worthy of rolling the dice on. I am usually a "don't draft a goalie in the 1st round" person. But, with 2 1sts this year and the odds being that they have 2+ 1sts again next year, it might be the right time to buy an expensive Win for Life scratch off lottery ticket.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I see Levi more in competition with Portillo, at least for the short-term, rather than UPL in their goalie prospect equation; and at the end of the day, both Levi and Portillo are similar in that they only played seven games in their 20-21 seasons and are projected as collegiate starters for their 21-22 years.

It'll be interesting to see who pulls ahead of the other or if it remains neck and neck, as Portillo's got the obvious size advantage over Levi and has seen stronger competition (top goalies in SWE J20, USHL vs CCHL), while Levi's a year younger and had a far better international performance than Portillo.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's amazing that the goalie picked 13th overall in 2019 and the goalie picked 212th overall in 2020 are being closely debated lol. I'll admit I've only seen Knight play in that one playoff game he started and I was impressed. Never seen Levi though. Hopefully he's in Rochester soon to be viewed.

There's no debate. Knight is worth way more. Now.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
No, it's the same speculation that was out there after he was drafted by Florida.

What nobody has any clue about yet is if the trade changes his view of things. He doesn't have Bob and Knight in front of him here.
Of course he was going to play 4 years of college hockey in Florida, he was never going to start there unless Knight fell of a cliff. Play 4 years and sign somewhere he has a chance to start. Things have changed now

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Levi has publicly said he doesn't want to go to Buffalo and will stay for four years in college?

I honestly think it's something that is just known about him throughout the scouting community. Sounds like he has a plan. This is now the second different scouting analyst to mention he likes to have a slow development curve and play 4 years of college (which will really be 3 years of playing).

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I honestly think it's something that is just known about him throughout the scouting community. Sounds like he has a plan. This is now the second different scouting analyst to mention he likes to have a slow development curve and play 4 years of college (which will really be 3 years of playing).
He should have an extra year of eligibility.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan

Welp. If that's the case, Buffalo had better be in better shape three years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad