GDT: Devils @ Wild - 8:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The thing is, GSVA is arguing that McLeod is a 25th percentile player, now I don't know who gets counted in all of that, but if there's a reasonably high minutes minimum, then that seems completely fine to have on your 4th line. Not every player can be above average, and most of the 4th liners who grade out as above average in metrics like these will be guys on shooting benders - McLeod had his 2 years ago.

If you’re saying this board shouldn’t bitch about 4th liners then you’re taking away about 1/3 of the discussion on this board. (And that’s a conservative estimate lol.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can you imagine if a few got their way (I know it wasn't an overwhelming consensus) and we re-signed Wood this offseason to a 4 year deal for $3.5-$4 million and this was year one of that deal?

I mean, suppose he had a GOOD season this year, like the best of his career. Nothing too ridiculously good, but say he did get 40 points and 20 goals this season, we extended him 4 years @ $14-$16 million this offseason and instead he was having this season next year, on the first season of his 4 year deal?

That would have been like when we extended Jay Pandolfo to a huge raise because ''He was underpaid for so long'' and if you didn't believe it was a mistake as soon as it was signed, it didn't take many games into 08-09 to come to the conclusion of just how bad it was.

All I remember are 2 or 3 posters (I can remember two by name) saying he needs to be re-signed, even if it's that much and that maybe if we give him 4 years we can have the AAV somewhat reduced.

If you remember them by name then you’ll probably poke fun at them for it until about 2029. (Just going on past history here.)

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Don't blame Wild coach or teams celebration at end of game as this was a huge win for them at start of a tough stretch....We didn't play horrible but there is no mistaking that we are a different team without Jack Hughes....Haula to me gets far too much blame I think he goes and plays hard wherever they put him....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you remember them by name then you’ll probably poke fun at them for it until about 2029. (Just going on past history here.)

I hope I'm well over it by 2029, when Miles Wood will be probably 4 years removed from his last full season in the NHL. Maybe even 5 years removed......

For some reason I never forget the draft Sprong instead of trading for Palmieri stuff lol.

But I'll probably never forget the ''Cory is bouncing back! You're wrong! Market correction? No it's not! It's real! He's bouncing back'' stuff. Especially when one poster made a mainboard thread about how bad he was a year before that........

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we actually gained on first place last night and people are freaking out.

personally i was more concerned when we were playing well and dropping points left and right in december than i am now not playing well but still winning.

there’s 1/3 of the season left, plenty time to figure it out and improve the team through acquisitions, but none of that means anything if they’re not in the playoffs. that’s not really a huge concern anymore

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This whole ''The Rangers are gonna pass us now'' thing is getting a little DD-like from a select few.

If we lost in regulation and some of the other teams like Pittsburgh or god forbid the Islanders, Sabres, Panthers (i.e. teams that are not in a playoffs spot) win a few I could see it getting really whacky in here.

I'm more scared of how unreadable might be if those teams win a few and we lose a few. And those teams are like 13-16 behind us, a couple of them having about 3-4 more games played than us.......
It also doesn’t matter a whole lot if the Rangers do pass us considering we’re better on the road anyway. Making the playoffs is the goal, we’re getting close to being a lock.

Camille the Eel

It’s sad that I already know Miles Wood will stick in the lineup next game after his uninspired play once again last night and his brutal offensive zone penalty that unnecessarily put us in a hole early. He could really sit for a few.

Selective accountability.
Selective accountability for a veteran of long standing who is playing hard and probably fighting through injury as well is a good thing and common in the NHL. The Effort is there. And the brain mistakes aren't too many right now, they are Wood being Wood. And as long as the effort is there, and we are winning, I think Ruff will stick with Wood. And I also imagine the dressing room is okay with it, because it's fair as NHL players judge things. And I also imagine that Fitz won't trade Wood and turn his life topsy turvy for the same reason. The competition is between tiers of players: Boqvist, Holtz, Zetterlund, maybe even Bastian are competing for playing time against each other. Any sitting will be distributed among them.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It also doesn’t matter a whole lot if the Rangers do pass us considering we’re better on the road anyway. Making the playoffs is the goal, we’re getting close to being a lock.

If you’re suggesting we’re going to play the Rangers in the playoffs and lose those home games, I f***ing hate you.

No offense or anything, but holy shit, I need to emotionally prepare for that experience.

Meaningless regular season home losses to the Rangers are unbearable.

This whole “better on the road” thing sucks a lot lol. It’s wrong and bad and I don’t like it.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Selective accountability for a veteran of long standing who is playing hard and probably fighting through injury as well is a good thing and common in the NHL. The Effort is there. And the brain mistakes aren't too many right now, they are Wood being Wood. And as long as the effort is there, and we are winning, I think Ruff will stick with Wood. And I also imagine the dressing room is okay with it, because it's fair as NHL players judge things. And I also imagine that Fitz won't trade Wood and turn his life topsy turvy for the same reason. The competition is between tiers of players: Boqvist, Holtz, Zetterlund, maybe even Bastian are competing for playing time against each other. Any sitting will be distributed among them.
Severson got sat deservedly after the Philly game at the Rock and is a veteran of long standing.

Wood is struggling heavily, isn’t as effective and could sit 1 or 2 games. I don’t see what’s wrong with that.

If you’re suggesting we’re going to play the Rangers in the playoffs and lose those home games, I f***ing hate you.

No offense or anything, but holy shit, I need to emotionally prepare for that experience.

This whole “better on the road” thing sucks a lot lol. It’s wrong and bad and I don’t like it.
I said it a few times, but the Rangers would be coming in with all the pressure. We’re just turning the corner, they’ve been trying to compete for years.

NJ beating them in round 1 would be pretty much devastating to them. It would suck for us, but it’d be par for the course for a young core making the playoffs for the first time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s sad that I already know Miles Wood will stick in the lineup next game after his uninspired play once again last night and his brutal offensive zone penalty that unnecessarily put us in a hole early. He could really sit for a few.

Selective accountability.
I've been on team #Donotqualifywood since the offseason. So I feel like I'm entitled to incessantly scream about this all until Wood is off the team. Especially when I see ''Ohhhhh we have no cap space!''.

I know there were a decent amount of posters that were against signing him for his qualifying offer or more, but I don't really remember who was or wasn't lol.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I can see it now: Luke Hughes to Jack Hughes OT series winner at MSG

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson got sat deservedly after the Philly game at the Rock and is a veteran of long standing.

Wood is struggling heavily, isn’t as effective and could sit 1 or 2 games. I don’t see what’s wrong with that.
He's a massive liability. He doesn't score. He's probably got fewer points in the last 35 games than Boqvist does and he's FAR inferior of a player overall at this point. It really feels like he's absolutely done. be it because of either the hip injury or he's just reached his expiration date. These career 4th line/borderline 3rd line guys sometimes are done by 27-28.

And I don't understand him getting power play usage AT ALL. Players like him in theory can be good power play guys, but Wood isn't even nearly what he was in theory anymore.

He has 0 power play points this year, (none last year but only played 3 games) and had 3 power play goals in 20-21 (no assists) and 0 power play points in 19-20. I posted last night that his last power play assist was on December 31st of 2018 lol. In a game where now-Devils goalie scout Anders Nilsson was in net for the Canucks. Mind you, I'm not sure how much power play usage he actually got in 19-20. I don't really remember, but I don't think he was used on it all that much. And now we have a much better team, that's much better at offense and yet he's on the power play now.

Wood will almost undoubtedly be out of the league full time by the 25-26 season, but I think how he's been this year has sped that up a little bit. It might be sometime next year where he's waived and doesn't find his way back, other than as a call up.

First of all, this type of player doesn't last long into their 30's in the NHL, if even age 30. These ''Wood types'' that are in the league into their 30's are usually guys that used to be really good, like better than Wood ever was. Think Wayne Simmonds the last few years before this one. These career 4th line/borderline 3rd line guys don't last in the league into their 30's all that often. Those roles are either taken by players way younger or a 30-something that's a former 30 goal scorer/60 point scorer that just isn't a 30 goal or 60 point scorer anymore because they aren't as good anymore.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I can see it now: Luke Hughes to Jack Hughes OT series winner at MSG
1676225465979.gif

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I've been on team #Donotqualifywood since the offseason. So I feel like I'm entitled to incessantly scream about this all until Wood is off the team. Especially when I see ''Ohhhhh we have no cap space!''.

I know there were a decent amount of posters that were against signing him for his qualifying offer or more, but I don't really remember who was or wasn't lol.

Wood was a different player earlier in thr season. I think that as his season has worn on his hip has gotten worse. At this point I wonder if they should LTIR him until tht first game of the playoffs. He’s not playing well and if he continues to play it will only g et worse. Extended rest and rehab would help and maybe give him a chance of playing well in the playoffs. I had been in favor of signing him to a contract equal to a good fourth liner but at this point I’d pass.

Reactions: Bleedred

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But I'll probably never forget the ''Cory is bouncing back! You're wrong! Market correction? No it's not! It's real! He's bouncing back'' stuff. Especially when one poster made a mainboard thread about how bad he was a year before that........
On a similar note, Blackwood has put up solid #'s since his return. I think he's finally healthy.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
On a similar note, Blackwood has put up solid #'s since his return. I think he's finally healthy.
He’s still Blackwood. Let’s see if he can play three good games in a row. Healthy or not some of Blackwood’s problems are between his ears. If he can find his game and some stability that would be a great problem to have.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He’s still Blackwood. Let’s see if he can play three good games in a row. Healthy or not some of Blackwood’s problems are between his ears. If he can find his game and some stability that would be a great problem to have.
And those between the ears problems may be due to NJ forcing an injured goalie out there because we have no other options.

Think him being able to work back in slowly is beneficial to him mentally as well as physically.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Color me skeptical that he won't plummet back to where he was if he started getting more games.

That said, I always said the injuries probably led to his poor performance, but it was just a matter how much and that I thought he might improve this year, but not to the level of the first two years in the NHL. And he was bad in the AHL even before that, so I'm still skeptical he's good.

And on top of that, we can't be giving him his qualifying offer next year. We made that mistake with Wood this year and Blackwood will cost the same amount. Give him his qualifying offer to keep him one more year? Vitek is signed 2 more years after this.

I'm supremely confident that if Schmid isn't better than him, he's no worse and he'll be MUCH cheaper.

Reactions: glenwo2

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Color me skeptical that he won't plummet back to where he was if he started getting more games.

That said, I always said the injuries probably led to his poor performance, but it was just a matter how much and that I thought he might improve this year, but not to the level of the first two years in the NHL. And he was bad in the AHL even before that, so I'm still skeptical he's good.

And on top of that, we can't be giving him his qualifying offer next year. We made that mistake with Wood this year and Blackwood will cost the same amount. Give him his qualifying offer to keep him one more year? Vitek is signed 2 more years after this.

I'm supremely confident that if Schmid isn't better than him, he's no worse and he'll be MUCH cheaper.
I think if he can stay healthy he can build backup career. Now when he doesn’t play under pressure, he looks better than he looked two seasons before. But not for 3+ mil per year. May be someone ready to give him that amount of money, but with Vitek and cap tight we are not in the position to do so. If he is ok to play for 1.5 mil for one year, I’m not against to sign him. With Akira in AHL I don’t think we have needs for searching any other option.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think if he can stay healthy he can build backup career. Now when he doesn’t play under pressure, he looks better than he looked two seasons before. But not for 3+ mil per year. May be someone ready to give him that amount of money, but with Vitek and cap tight we are not in the position to do so. If he is ok to play for 1.5 mil for one year, I’m not against to sign him. With Akita in AHL I don’t think we have needs for searching any other option.
There's no rule that we can't sign him for less than his qualifying offer, as teams have done it before. I'm pretty sure Ray Shero didn't tender either of Devante Smith-Pelly or Jon Merrill in 2016, but re-signed both of them even before UFA started for less than their qualifiers. I remember a lot us didn't understand why they weren't qualified, but it's because they weren't gonna be worth their qualifying offers. They were both signed for cheaper than that.

If he plays at least okay for the rest of the year, I'd be fine with giving him $1.5 million for one year, with a VERY short leash to be banished in short order to the AHL in favor of Schmid if he has a poor start out of the gate. And if that happens, he's less than half a million in dead cap playing in the minors.

For $3 million or more he's just WAYYYYYY too much. Even if he has a good year this season that's still too much. And if he does have a good year it's likely not gonna be as THE guy, as we're two thirds of the way through the season and Vitek has been considerably better in a lot more games played.

Back to the qualifying offer though, we can sign him for as cheap as we want, so long as he agrees to it. Would he agree to sign here for $1.5 million where he's clearly been overthrown as the starter? Or would he wanna just go to UFA and sign with another team for that same price?

This has real potential to be 2019 Schneider to the minors by November, if he comes back next year and at $3 million that handcuffs us a couple of million we could allocate elsewhere, while just using Schmid, who once again, may be no better, but I'm pretty sure he's no worse and he'll be MUCH cheaper. I also don't want another STUPID WOOD SITUATION like this year. That's money we could use right now and it's not even like that's a contract that was signed years ago like Bernier or Johnsson or Blackwood himself.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
There's no rule that we can't sign him for less than his qualifying offer, as teams have done it before. I'm pretty sure Ray Shero didn't tender either of Devante Smith-Pelly or Jon Merrill in 2016, but re-signed both of them even before UFA started for less than their qualifiers. I remember a lot us didn't understand why they weren't qualified, but it's because they weren't gonna be worth their qualifying offers. They were both signed for cheaper than that.

If he plays at least okay for the rest of the year, I'd be fine with giving him $1.5 million for one year, with a VERY short leash to be banished in short order to the AHL in favor of Schmid if he has a poor start out of the gate. And if that happens, he's less than half a million in dead cap playing in the minors.

For $3 million or more he's just WAYYYYYY too much. Even if he has a good year this season that's still too much. And if he does have a good year it's likely not gonna be as THE guy, as we're two thirds of the way through the season and Vitek has been considerably better in a lot more games played.

Back to the qualifying offer though, we can sign him for as cheap as we want, so long as he agrees to it. Would he agree to sign here for $1.5 million where he's clearly been overthrown as the starter? Or would he wanna just go to UFA and sign with another team for that same price?

This has real potential to be 2019 Schneider to the minors by November, if he comes back next year and at $3 million that handcuffs us a couple of million we could allocate elsewhere, while just using Schmid, who once again, may be no better, but I'm pretty sure he's no worse and he'll be MUCH cheaper. I also don't want another STUPID WOOD SITUATION like this year. That's money we could use right now and it's not even like that's a contract that was signed years ago like Bernier or Johnsson or Blackwood himself.
Interesting question will he? I think if he will ask Fitz what’s the plan for defense for next year, and if Fitz will say we will use all the money for offense and bring Nemec with Luke, than I believe Blackwood need to pack his baggage and call the taxi =-D

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I still like Miles Wood and think he's going to be important in the playoffs.

Enjoy Screaming at the clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad