GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I just would like to know what you guys would have liked Shero to have done. He stepped into a MESS. Direct your anger towards Lou.

Wouldn't you say though that aside from the drafting (particularly between 2005-2013), there isn't really much anger to be directed at Lou and his guys?

Not many, if any other teams would have recovered after losing 4 of their top 6 scorers in less than a calendar year. You just can't replace that kind of offense and we had to scramble to essentially get bodies. That mixed in with not having any drafting depth turned into this recipe for disaster and isn't so much on Lou.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Wouldn't you say though that aside from the drafting (particularly between 2005-2013), there isn't really much anger to be directed at Lou and his guys?

Not many, if any other teams would have recovered after losing 4 of their top 6 scorers in less than a calendar year. You just can't replace that kind of offense and we had to scramble to essentially get bodies. That mixed in with not having any drafting depth turned into this recipe for disaster and isn't so much on Lou.

yea but drafting is the main reason we're in the position we're in right now. The guys taken in those drafts should be the backbone of this team right now.

I realize taht the Parise/Kovalchuk debacles play into that as well, but still

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
yea but drafting is the main reason we're in the position we're in right now. The guys taken in those drafts should be the backbone of this team right now.

I realize taht the Parise/Kovalchuk debacles play into that as well, but still

Yea without question if we had a couple of offensive guys lined up in the system ready to take the step after Kovy, Parise, Clarkson, and Sykora were gone it would have been a smoother transition. Just had brought that up because sometimes it gets lost in translation when discussing where Lou is and isn't at fault for where we are today.

In that 2005-2013 period, essentially Fayne, Henrique, and Larsson are the only guys that have become useful NHLers and Fayne at this point is even a question mark as he's seemed to struggle in EDM.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Didn't watch the game but not at all surprised by the result since we were playing the second portion of a back to back, against one of the best teams in the league.

Not at all surprised by the multiple posts, questioning Shero and the future of this franchise, by the same complaining posters.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It took ray shero to speak out to get his team motivated. Less than 24 hours later they were back to the same team as before.

If shero is 100pct behind Hynes than its time to trade an important player. Because this product is poor really poor.

Even this falls back on the coach IMO. Good coach can get malcontents in line.

I agree with NJDevs that something has to give though. Either a statement trade or Hynes gets the pink slip. This current mix is productive.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still look a this tram's inability to score on 5 on 3s. That is all coaching. You write up some plays and execute.

Their plan seems to just pass it around over and over.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I still look a this tram's inability to score on 5 on 3s. That is all coaching. You write up some plays and execute.

How in the world can that be 'all coaching'? The problem is that people like Cammalleri and Parenteau and Zajac don't belong on an NHL 5 on 3 and they're all out there. The Devils really don't have alternatives, either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How in the world can that be 'all coaching'? The problem is that people like Cammalleri and Parenteau and Zajac don't belong on an NHL 5 on 3 and they're all out there. The Devils really don't have alternatives, either.

:amazed:

I mean Parenteau you're right but Camm's a legit top six player and Zajac's been one this season, saying they don't belong on a 5-on-3 is a LITTLE strong. Any top six forward belongs on a five-on-three.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Lack of execution does not always equal poor coaching. Hynes isn't telling the players to overpass on a 5-on-3 or to miss the net when they do shoot. Maybe you can ding him for who he's putting out there, but it's the same players who are on the regular PP.

In general I feel like people think the coach has more control over everything than he really does. At the end of the day it's up to the players to execute on the ice. If you want to give the coach **** for who he's putting on the ice, that's more than fair.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

LOL @ Helgeson.

I don't even wanna hear how Severson was worse, he played 5 more minutes than Helgeson. Even Merrill played 3 more minutes. Helgeson is a complete liability.

You would think someone in the organization knows this. You would think Shero would know this. It looked like he did until the other day. They can't play him on Tuesday.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They played Helgeson because of the complete lack of physical pushback from anybody for a while. It worked for a game against a team that can be suckered into that kind of chippy game. Against a fast, skilled team, not so much.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Blaming the coach when things aren't going our way is the cheap way out IMO. So what you're saying is that if the players aren't executing, it's on the coach?

The reason our PP is so weak is because we have no legit threat from the point outside of Severson and everyone is looking for Cammalleri's one timer from the right side boards. I'd put someone with some edge in front of the net (Henrique), Palmieri and Cammalleri on both sides with Hall in the slot. They need to pepper the opposing goaltender and not look for the perfect play all the time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lack of execution does not always equal poor coaching. Hynes isn't telling the players to overpass on a 5-on-3 or to miss the net when they do shoot. Maybe you can ding him for who he's putting out there, but it's the same players who are on the regular PP.

In general I feel like people think the coach has more control over everything than he really does. At the end of the day it's up to the players to execute on the ice. If you want to give the coach **** for who he's putting on the ice, that's more than fair.

They don't have a proper plan. The Xs and Os are bad. Hynes is not a good NHL coach.

His PP scheme is painfully predictable. It doesn't take much coaching to be able to shut it down.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
They don't have a proper plan. The Xs and Os are bad. Hynes is not a good NHL coach.

His PP scheme is painfully predictable. It doesn't take much coaching to be able to shut it down.

I'm glad we've made this distinction after a bad month

especially considering about 6 weeks ago, some of ya'll were propping him up for the Jack Adams already

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Coach plans the practices, coach puts the system in place, coach decides to try and get these guys to play a certain way. Coach plans the special teams. Coach is supposed to get these players up.

What does Hynes do that makes this team better

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm glad we've made this distinction after a bad month

especially considering about 6 weeks ago, some of ya'll were propping him up for the Jack Adams already

Who said that? No one wanted to give him the jack adams.

What does he do that makes him untouchable? Just saying he is a good coach with a bunch of ECHL players is absolute bunk.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Who said that? No one wanted to give him the jack adams.

What does he do that makes him untouchable? Just saying he is a good coach with a bunch of ECHL players is absolute bunk.

if this is TRULY a full rebuild, which is what the GM has said, he isn't going to fire the coach after less than 1.5 seasons in.

Look at our defense corps, man. Theres no coach out there that could get them to be good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So he was okay for 97 games buy then in Game 98 he became an idiot?

I'm starting to think he may have never been very good, Cory's goaltending made him look better last year and it's making him look worse this year.

The only time he's ever been able to coach a good two way system consistently was the first 15 games of this year.

We don't even look competitive in barely any of these games since then, with the exception of a handful maybe.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm starting to think he may have never been very good, Cory's goaltending made him look better last year and it's making him look worse this year.

The only time he's ever been able to coach a good two way system consistently was the first 15 games of this year.

We don't even look competitive in barely any of these games since then, with the exception of 2 or 3.

You need two way players to play a good two way system. We have a weak defense and brought in forwards who aren't exactly known for defense. Plus our goalie decided to suck ass for over a month.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We live in a "fast food" world. If the results aren't there, NOW, people get impatient. There's no more rational anymore. Nobody bothers to ask themselves who, what, when, where or why... it's all about results and screw the rest.

If everyone would take a half second to look at our roster, carefully, our current status wouldn't come as a shock to so many. There's a **** load of variables that have us near the bottom of the standings and I can come up with a handful of reasons without even bothering bringing up our HC.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So he was okay for 97 games buy then in Game 98 he became an idiot?

I don't understand this retort...you could say the same thing about the players. The players were good enough for 15 games but then suddenly they are the worst defenders in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad