GDT: Devils vs. Kings 12:30PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Thing is to hold Severson accountable, he wasn't holding Gelinas accountable for a performance that was even worse. At least from where I was viewing the games.

I don't know if I agree with that, Gelinas has only played in about 60% of games this season and in most of those games he's been extremely sheltered. It's not like he's getting Peter Harrold minutes out there.

The problem is that outside of Greene, Larsson, and Schlemko none of our defenseman have really distanced themselves from the others. Severson, Moore, and Merrill have all had their ups and downs this year and Gelinas is a purely situational player. When they're all healthy SOMEONE has to sit.

It's a shame to sit any of them, really. They're all young players with talent that you want playing and growing, but no one has really stepped up and seized the opportunity. Compromises will have to be made.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't know if I agree with that, Gelinas has only played in about 60% of games this season and in most of those games he's been extremely sheltered. It's not like he's getting Peter Harrold minutes out there.

The problem is that outside of Greene, Larsson, and Schlemko none of our defenseman have really distanced themselves from the others. Severson, Moore, and Merrill have all had their ups and downs this year and Gelinas is a purely situational player. When they're all healthy SOMEONE has to sit.

It's a shame to sit any of them, really. They're all young players with talent that you want playing and growing, but no one has really stepped up and seized the opportunity. Compromises will have to be made.

The big problem for me is just that Gelinas manages to be a disaster even with sheltered minutes, and the three games he played for Severson, he had big mistakes that led to goals or stuff that would've been goals if not for godly goaltending. I guess the bottom line for me is I really never want to see Gelinas play another game as a Devil unless there are injuries. I've seen enough of his blunders.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Loved this from TG's blog though:

I also really enjoyed that bit. These are all learning experiences for the kid, and in such a close game he needs to be better. And he was in the third which is exactly what we want to see.

Good points and quote. It does look pretty sure that we've got an NHL player in him, although I think we're hoping that the flashes that show he might be top six material are true. It would be huge for the Devils if he really is that top six playmaking type we've been looking for.

That's the thing, his playmaking skills have been unquestionable since being called up. He's got the hands and speed to create enough space for himself and then he has nice vision to find an open man. I don't think what we're seeing can necessarily be a "flash in the pan" sort of thing, a guy just doesn't pick up that skill out of nowhere only to lose it later on. And to think he could have more points if some of the guys (Josefson :laugh:) finished his passes.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
That's the thing, his playmaking skills have been unquestionable since being called up. He's got the hands and speed to create enough space for himself and then he has nice vision to find an open man. I don't think what we're seeing can necessarily be a "flash in the pan" sort of thing, a guy just doesn't pick up that skill out of nowhere only to lose it later on. And to think he could have more points if some of the guys (Josefson :laugh:) finished his passes.

Exactly. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I think that he might be just the sort of playmaker that Zacha could flourish next to. Together they could have the potential to really shine, and along with our defense and Cory, we could be a much stronger team far sooner than many would've anticipated. Exciting time to be a Devils fan, but we deserve it after the relative bleakness of the past few.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Exactly. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I think that he might be just the sort of playmaker that Zacha could flourish next to. Together they could have the potential to really shine, and along with our defense and Cory, we could be a much stronger team far sooner than many would've anticipated. Exciting time to be a Devils fan, but we deserve it after the relative bleakness of the past few.

Just like Jim said a little while back, nobody in the NHL will really see it coming too.

We just have to keep adding high-potential players (particularly forwards) to the cupboard at the draft, but the future is really bright!

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
stoked for kinkaid. local LI boy does good.

blandisi is a player. honestly his emergence if he continues to play the way he has is one of the biggest positives to take from this season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The big problem for me is just that Gelinas manages to be a disaster even with sheltered minutes, and the three games he played for Severson, he had big mistakes that led to goals or stuff that would've been goals if not for godly goaltending. I guess the bottom line for me is I really never want to see Gelinas play another game as a Devil unless there are injuries. I've seen enough of his blunders.

I agree, I'm done with Gelinas. The guy gets sheltered minutes and still plays terrible. He's not even a #6 defenseman right now, he's awful.

Camille the Eel

Given that he didn't play yesterday afternoon, how can we be sick of Gelinas in a thread about a 1 zip victory over an L.A. team that I can't remember when we beat at home in regulation?

Big picture? Our defense is playing very very well as a six man group. No matter who is in. Our entire team is playing very well as a 6 man group pretty much all the time right now. We have one of the best goal's against in the entire league.

Why trash anyone at the moment? Especially someone who's not even playing.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I agree, I'm done with Gelinas. The guy gets sheltered minutes and still plays terrible. He's not even a #6 defenseman right now, he's awful.

Yeah. At this point, I just hope Gelinas is traded for whatever return he can get (or as a throw-in), so he can be some other team's problem/project.

Given that he didn't play yesterday afternoon, how can we be sick of Gelinas in a thread about a 1 zip victory over an L.A. team that I can't remember when we beat at home in regulation?

Big picture? Our defense is playing very very well as a six man group. No matter who is in. Our entire team is playing very well as a 6 man group pretty much all the time right now. We have one of the best goal's against in the entire league.

Why trash anyone at the moment? Especially someone who's not even playing.

The point wasn't to trash Gelinas. The point was to express my hope that we would never see Severson scratched for Gelinas again, and my unhappiness that it happened three games in a row a short time ago, because when Gelinas is in it hurts the team, since it comprises the defense that you point out is overall playing well. Conversational threads evolve. I think if you re-read the discussion on the last few pages, it's clear how and why Gelinas was brought up.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sevs has responded to the benching well.
Maybe he needed a few games to see things from up top.

He's jumped into the play more and gone to the net vs Philly in OT and last game in the 3rd.
Almost scored both times.

We need that out of him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sevs has responded to the benching well.
Maybe he needed a few games to see things from up top.

He's jumped into the play more and gone to the net vs Philly in OT and last game in the 3rd.
Almost scored both times.

We need that out of him.

I wasn't really looking to start the debate again. Just pointing out that the intention of bringing up Gelinas wasn't just to trash him for fun or whatever. By now, I think both sides have stated their perspectives, so there's not much reason to continue the debate:)

Camille the Eel

Yeah. At this point, I just hope Gelinas is traded for whatever return he can get (or as a throw-in), so he can be some other team's problem/project.

The point wasn't to trash Gelinas. The point was to express my hope that we would never see Severson scratched for Gelinas again, and my unhappiness that it happened three games in a row a short time ago, because when Gelinas is in it hurts the team, since it comprises the defense that you point out is overall playing well. Conversational threads evolve. I think if you re-read the discussion on the last few pages, it's clear how and why Gelinas was brought up.

Yeah I know and you are right. The thread is the thread and follows its logic and I would not mean to sound dismissive. But I also feel that Gelly gets too much flack on this board. I think - and I am clearly in the minority - that he will be in this league for a while and that he's a sound NHL guy but he does make the bone head plays. But still, much less regularly then he used to. He looks like a very different guy to me these last couple of months than he did in the fall or last year at this time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah I know and you are right. The thread is the thread and follows its logic and I would not mean to sound dismissive. But I also feel that Gelly gets too much flack on this board. I think - and I am clearly in the minority - that he will be in this league for a while and that he's a sound NHL guy but he does make the bone head plays. But still, much less regularly then he used to. He looks like a very different guy to me these last couple of months than he did in the fall or last year at this time.

The main problem for Gelinas is he seems to be making the least progress and at the slowest rate of all our young defensemen, so it's hard to justify putting him in the lineup over more talented guys who have shown more, and as those players continue to build up more NHL experience, the gap between them and Gelinas continues to widen. Other young defensemen seem to have pushed Gelinas out when it comes to a future here, so it's probably best for Gelinas and the Devils to just move on from him. Gelinas might put it all together, but it doesn't look likely to happen with the Devils, unfortunately. Another organization without so much young talent on defense might be more willing to be patient with him, but the Devils have so many other young defense options that he just can't seem to keep up in that race.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Seriously, how have they still not changed that goal to Blandisi? It's pretty evident that he touched the puck, he even said it himself. They don't take those things into account?

Great Wall of Jersey

Make NJD Great Again
Mar 20, 2010
Garden State
Seriously, how have they still not changed that goal to Blandisi? It's pretty evident that he touched the puck, he even said it himself. They don't take those things into account?

NHL can't be bothered with Blandisi making noise as a rookie, they want to promote the teams they love, Edmonton (McDavid), Chicago (Panarin) etc...

You better believe if it was one of those guys with the deflection, the goal would be changed to reflect it as their own. Not Blandisi or the Devils though.

At the end of the day, the puck crossed the goal-line for our Devils and I'm happy it resulted in a win. It's just frustrating when this kid get slighted of something that is rightfully his.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I remember a year or two ago they changed a goal to Crosby the next day because of a tip that was missed, and they had a press release on the front page of NHL.com. No such love for non-star players. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need to send Paulie Walnuts and crew to the league to take care of some business here. That's the second time that Blandisi has been robbed of a point this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad