GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wood/Blandisi together on the same line was a nightmare defensively. The shift you're referencing they added Parenteau to it which made it even worse.

Even in the Detroit game though, Mantha's goal the Devils gave him so much space and plenty of options. Schneider didn't know if he would shoot it, dump it around the boards, stop and look for his linemates, etc. Mantha just ripped a laser to the top corner and Schneider wasn't ready. Was indicative of a lot of the "weak" goals Schneider let in. Devils were way too nonchalant defensively for that stretch. Don't get me wrong Schneider wasn't playing as well as he could have, but I think the above started to happen and Schneider's play snowballed along with it.

Lately, they've been forcing the play, pressuring a lot more, and cutting down options which allows Schneider to just read the play and play the odds; he's improved a lot since then.

I think a lot of times, after some tough games a goalie (And players at any position) can lose confidence and it metastasizes and then it can snowball. I mentioned Brian Elliott just now in the other thread. Weak start to the season, now playing with no confidence and looks to have just given up. I think his game started to turn around when he shutout the Flyers, which was one of the best defensive games of the season, if not the best. Once he had that game, he seemed to get his confidence back. He was lit up a few more times since then, like a couple Pittsburgh games and that Calgary game where he allowed 4 last week before the break. Or whenever it was. I didn't think he played poorly in those games though. I didn't think he had a chance on any of those goals, which is sometimes evened out when he plays well on paper and allows a goal like that one against Buffalo the last game before the break.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
When a team is playing horrid defense they can make a goalie look much worse then they are.

They have to start making hero saves because they aren't sure where the puck is coming from.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When a team is playing horrid defense they can make a goalie look much worse then they are.

They have to start making hero saves because they aren't sure where the puck is coming from.

I also think the same can be said for when a goalie is playing like Cory did tonight, he can make a horrid defense look much better than they really are.

I thought the rebound on goal 2 was poor, but I usually don't ding a goalie on a rebound goal unless it's really poor. Like the rebound Cory gave up on that shorty in LA back in November. Where he had the puck in his belly and just dropped it and the LA player poked it through his legs for an easy goal shorthanded. I usually won't ding the goalie for one where a rebound pops back out like that, even if it is a bad rebound.

It was a poor rebound, but I think he tried to control that to Moore and Moore never turned around to retrieve it. Dano called it a ''Misplay by the Devils defense'' without calling out Moore personally. Moore looked awful on that goal and all game long. First goal was awful where everyone went to one side of the net, while PAP stood around taking a whiz on the open side of the ice all by himself. Guess he needed a bathroom break. Wood looked like he couldn't decide which side of the net he wanted to be on.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Also, just saw an advertisement for some business called Boston Pizza.

What the **** is that? Losing respect for Canada.

Boston Pizza is actually pretty good. They used to have one on the way to Boston on a rest stop. I think they're only in Canada now though. Canadian company.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Plus he's from lawn guyland

Haha I like that one!

My friend constantly refers to San Diego as Sandy Eggo.

He once texted me ''Hey, do you like Sandy Eggo?''

So I was like ''I don't like my Eggo's with sand!''

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Everyone knows real li is only nassau and suffolk. Brooklyn and Queens have very little similarity to us, and both call themselves city people.

I'm glad somebody said it

I try to tell people this when they say ''But Brooklyn is Long Island!''

The people I know from Brooklyn and Queens don't say ''We're from out Long Island''. They say they're from Brooklyn or Queens or even ''The city'' a little less frequently.

Now when someone tells me ''I'm from Long Island'' the last place I'm gonna be thinking is Brooklyn or Queens. I'm gonna think anywhere from the Nassau County line to Montauk, before I'm gonna think Brooklyn or Queens.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't care if the Islanders are called the Islanders still, because it doesn't really matter to me and Brooklyn is an island, as is Manhattan and the entire city.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I can watch that Zacha goal over and over again. Man am I ever excited for his future with the team. The way he takes over shifts sometimes out there is outstanding and you to have to hope that he'll start doing so consistently after a few years of experience.

Camille the Eel

But the Zacha goal does change direction off the defenseman's leg, so it's puck luck big time. But yes, Zacha's development this past month is amazing.

How did we win that game? How did they not tie it up? Like Detroit after the all star break, we just don't know how to play with a lead. What's the adage, "3 goal lead worst in Hockey?"

The one big weakness I've always noticed in Corey is that once he's down on his belly or side or rear end, once he's off his butterfly, he's out. He is very poor at scrambling back into a play once he loses his position. (The opposite of Marty or of a Mike Quick). Corey has to be the least athletic top tier goaltender I've ever seen. That's the story of Islander goal # 1. He just floundered and flopped there once he was on his side. Goal # 2 is on him and the defense: him for the rebound and the defense for letting the rebound get shot. There's like three guys standing there wathing the rebound get picked up.

Good thing Leddy hit the post.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
The atmosphere at the Rock was night and day from Thursday, but that wasn't a surprise. There were so many missed opportunities early that should have made this easy, but then again when is it ever easy?

At least we weren't subjected to the moronic yes, yes, yes crap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad