GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - 6:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If Hall was playing with a reasonable top 6 center that processes the game faster, he'd probably have 12 to 15 more points. There is no doubt in my mind. Hall is so much more advanced than his line-mates that it's comical. He almost has to tone his game down because they're physically incapable of keeping up with him and can't see what he does.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If Hall was playing with a reasonable top 6 center that processes the game faster, he'd probably have 12 to 15 more points. There is no doubt in my mind. Hall is so much more advanced than his line-mates that it's comical. He almost has to tone his game down because they don't see what he does.

Sometime next year when Zacha is ready

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd actually rather see Hall with Parenteau more sometimes, it seems like there's been at least half a dozen times this season where at least PA put himself in the right position to convert Hall's gimmes.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yea Hall makes almost anyone he's on a line with look good possession wise. Want to see people that can keep up with him creativity wise. I'd honestly be very intrigued with Blandisi playing with him honestly. Bennett is the one guy I never understood why he got a chance with Hall.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha is physically ready, but he's not mentally ready due to the details of the 200 ft game.

Agreed. Keep him where he is to build confidence and continue acclimating himself to the NHL. Start next year at a C position and promote him to Hall's line if/when ready.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
There was a point where he was looking like Cory of last year, only in a backup role, while Cory was looking like the backup or Kinkaid of last year.

In the past two months, Cory has been steadily trending upward, while Kinkaid has been trending downward in the calendar year.

This mirage of possible making the playoffs has also given Schneider the majority of the starts. Factor in the dumb week off and Kinkaid hasn't played in a really long time. Not giving him a pass because he was awful tonight but I don't necessarily think his play, as a whole this year, would make him possibly wash out of the league. IMO he's been pretty good this year all things considered.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Obvs not kinkaids best game, clearly his worst all season. He did make some really good saves though. His last game he lost i believe was against the Caps and all but 1 goal was a deflection in front, leaving little chance for any goalie. If we don't sign him, someone else will imo, I think he will be a starter for some team in a few yrs.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yea Hall makes almost anyone he's on a line with look good possession wise. Want to see people that can keep up with him creativity wise. I'd honestly be very intrigued with Blandisi playing with him honestly. Bennett is the one guy I never understood why he got a chance with Hall.

I think when Zacha got to play with Hall early on this season, Bennett should've been the RW on that line.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This mirage of possible making the playoffs has also given Schneider the majority of the starts. Factor in the dumb week off and Kinkaid hasn't played in a really long time. Not giving him a pass because he was awful tonight but I don't necessarily think his play, as a whole this year, would make him possibly wash out of the league. IMO he's been pretty good this year all things considered.
Definitely has had a good season, aside from tonight and has been much better than last year.
Obvs not kinkaids best game, clearly his worst all season. He did make some really good saves though. His last game he lost i believe was against the Caps and all but 1 goal was a deflection in front, leaving little chance for any goalie. If we don't sign him, someone else will imo, I think he will be a starter for some team in a few yrs.
Yikes! Not sure if the last sentence was serious or sarcasm.

He's already turning 28 this offseason, which would leave him at what age in a few years? 30 at least? How often does a career backup become a starter at age 30 in the NHL? Thomas Greiss is the only recent example of this happening, and he didn't even have one season where he started the majority of his teams games until this year. The closest thing to a starter that I can see Kinkaid becoming in the NHL is if he lucks into a spot like Peter Budaj did this year, and has a really long hot streak like Budaj has, after a starting goalie is injured.

I agree that he wasn't bad in either Capitals game, played much better on the eyes than his play on paper. Maybe he gave up one stoppable goal the last Caps game and it was on par with the 5th goal he allowed tonight. Goals 2-4 tonight were some of his worst allowed all season long.

The good saves don't really matter when you allow 6 goals and 4 being stoppable. This is the same thing that people would say about Marty in his twilight years. ''He let in 2 softies, but dat one save tho''.

Pavelec makes good saves every game, yet is still arguably one of the very worst goaltenders in the league, if you even consider him still in the league, as he was in the minors for much of this year, which was a demotion due to years of poor play. Cam Ward has a few highlight reel saves this year and is awful. Even Lehtonen had a mainboard ''SOTY?'' thread a few weeks ago, and he's been brutal for almost 3 full years now.

Not saying Kinkaid is as bad as those guys, just pointing out how it's pointless to credit a goalie with good saves when he played as poorly as he did tonight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If last night was a routine night you could of started Cory.

But he had a really busy workload and was getting shoved around too.

Sadly, I think it will become harder and harder to expect Cory to start two nights in a row with the regular occurrence of these 30+ shot games and sometimes the 40+ shot games that we saw last night. Last year, you could throw him back in there the next night because he only faced 28 shots or something.

With the Hynes (lack of) system this year that we're ''Playing'', all the 30+ shot games pile up and you can't play Cory two night's in a row because he's shelled on the first night and his entire torso probably looks like someone that's taken a few shells over their bulletproof vest.

I expect with the mirage of playoffs possibility, Cory will get the next back to back and quite a few of them if he's healthy. I think with the way Kinkaid has played this year for the most part, you could trust him to play half of a back to back set. Whereas last year, you couldn't trust him to play them, on top of Cory having a lighter workload most nights.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm sure Cory's getting used to long breaks by now with this dumb schedule over the last month :P

I mean ideally KK starts last night but that wouldn't have been exactly fool-proof either and they probably lose both games with the way they went. I didn't even have a huge problem with him starting tonight but they should have had an early hook at least with the importance of the game and how bad goals #2 and #3 were it was already obvious it wasn't his night.

Hynes doesn't do mercy pulls for whatever reason.

Honestly people were kind of checking out of reality thinking Kinkaid was going to get all this attention in the offseason. He was having a nice season, but it wasn't anything really stand outish and the market is going to be saturated with goalies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He gave Cory a quick hook in a couple of games (the LA home game for one) which was notable cause he hadn't done it much before that. This was a game that merited a quick hook too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes doesn't do mercy pulls for whatever reason.

Honestly people were kind of checking out of reality thinking Kinkaid was going to get all this attention in the offseason. He was having a nice season, but it wasn't anything really stand outish and the market is going to be saturated with goalies.

He gave Cory a quick hook in a couple of games (the LA home game for one) which was notable cause he hadn't done it much before that. This was a game that merited a quick hook too.

Hynes also gave Kinkaid the hook in what I think was the last time he started/played, wasn't it?

In a game where none of us could figure out what the hell he was even starting for in the first place. Because he made 13 saves and allowed 0 goals in garbage time in that LA game that Cory got played and got hooked before that?

I don't blame him for not pulling him at 4-1, since the game looked like it wouldn't really be a competitive game or come any closer than that in score. Then Berube wanted to give him a little help to try and get us back in the game, only he started off the 3rd period by giving up another quick one and Berube tried some more with that trash goal allowed to Hall, but it just wasn't enough.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You don't start Schneider when he played 3 games in 4 nights, which includes a back to back. C'mon now people, let's be serious here.

If Schneider would've crapped the bed, those same posters who are second guessing our coach ATM would've called out Hynes for overusing our #1.

It's always easier to complain when you already know the outcome of a game ;)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Zacha is physically ready, but he's not mentally ready due to the details of the 200 ft game.

And the stress that an 82 game schedule brings. Its so much different from junior. Being able to get up in the morning and be ready to play an NHL game 82 times in a 6 month span isn't easy. For example, that Ottawa game on Thursday, Zacha looked absolutely terrible. He didn't even look into the game at all. But the 5 games before and the past two he's looked fantastic.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Don't over react to one very bad game by Kinkaid. (The book on him also looked last night to be avoid his glove, go low stick side or five hole).

KK gave the team no chance at all last night.

I think we need to bring someone with more NHL experience with a little more maturity to back up Cory next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad