GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - 6:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's a pretty silly thing to say

An undrafted 28-year old FA with a career 2.74 GAA and .910 save percentage is not going to be in huge demand around the league. If he does get a contract outside of here the backup goaltending position is in worse shape than I thought.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The plus side of this game is that Zacha continues to impress.

A lot of very subtle reads. Hard to believe he's 19 at times.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
An undrafted 28-year old FA with a career 2.74 GAA and .910 save percentage is not going to be in huge demand around the league. If he does get a contract outside of here the backup goaltending position is in worse shape than I thought.

Undrafted means absolutely nothing. He's had a very solid season and one game where he went almost a month between starts isn't going to end his damn career. He will have no issues finding a job.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Should definitely have started Cory. This game put a stake in our season. Of course starting Cory would have just delayed the inevitable. Should have sank or swam with star goalie not backup.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Undrafted means absolutely nothing. He's had a very solid season and one game where he went almost a month between starts isn't going to end his damn career. He will have no issues finding a job.

It all depends on the rest of his season here.

If he finishes with a .915-ish season, he's definitely got a great shot at getting another deal somewhere. Especially considering there are some goalies that have been in the league, who haven't been any better than him.

Although those guys are younger and have greater ceiling, like Andrei Vasilevskiy, who believe it or not, has not really been much better of his regular season NHL career than Keith Kinkaid has.

Guys like Carter Hutton get 2 year deals and he's 30+ and had one better than mediocre NHL season in his career. Even with all his shutouts this year, he's barely floating above 90%.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Kinkaid is just inconsistent, which is the difference between being a starter and being a career backup. The thing is, these days you pretty much need a backup who can start 20-25 games a year and not kill you. I'm not sure Kinkaid is that guy. Now, I'm not saying we absolutely need to jettison him, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to shopping for an upgrade at the backup position. I have no idea who that would be though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kinkaid is just inconsistent, which is the difference between being a starter and being a career backup. The thing is, these days you pretty much need a backup who can start 20-25 games a year and not kill you. I'm not sure Kinkaid is that guy. Now, I'm not saying we absolutely need to jettison him, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to shopping for an upgrade at the backup position. I have no idea who that would be though.

He probably gets a stay of execution for a year here because of the expansion draft and needing a signed goalie to expose, but I certainly wouldn't give him a deal any longer than that, or be opposed to jettisoning him if something better comes along.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Should definitely have started Cory. This game put a stake in our season. Of course starting Cory would have just delayed the inevitable. Should have sank or swam with star goalie not backup.

There's a couple reasons why we probably can't start Cory in back to back's this season, like we did last year.

Because he didn't have to face 40+ shots nearly as many times last year as he has this year, nor even 30+ shots. So it was easier to throw him back in there the next night, with a much lighter workload the night before.

Another thing is that Kinkaid was awful all season long last year. He's never had a game that was nearly as bad as tonight, but he had too many stinkers last year. He's been solid this year, up until tonight, which was the worst outing of his NHL career.

He allowed 6 goals to Pittsburgh last year and maybe a few other times, but he usually wasn't destroyed for multiple bad goals even in those blowout games.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
People on the Isles board I frequent were talking the last few days about just how good Taylor Hall is after seeing him in person. Can you imagine if Garth Snow had a brain and had done the Hall for Hamonic swap he was offered? Could you imagine him riding shotgun with Tavares? Frankly any bad moves Shero made this year are more than made up for by bringing Hall in.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Except if you look at the schedule it made perfect sense to start Kinkaid tonight. 3rd game in 4 days, plus the back end of a back-to-back, plus we play again on Tuesday, then are off until Saturday. If we started Cory tonight and Kinkaid on Tuesday that would be almost a week off for Cory. It's just too bad Kinkaid had one of his bad performances tonight.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
People on the Isles board I frequent were talking the last few days about just how good Taylor Hall is after seeing him in person. Can you imagine if Garth Snow had a brain and had done the Hall for Hamonic swap he was offered? Could you imagine him riding shotgun with Tavares? Frankly any bad moves Shero made this year are more than made up for by bringing Hall in.

Imagine Hall with a legitimate center? Scary thought.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He probably gets a stay of execution for a year here because of the expansion draft and needing a signed goalie to expose, but I certainly wouldn't give him a deal any longer than that, or be opposed to jettisoning him if something better comes along.

If it comes down to him and Wedgewood next year, I'm still taking him.

I'm not a believer in Wedgewood, 4 game hot streak last year be damned.

Wedgewood has had less than mediocre AHL career, up until last season, he looked significantly worse in preseason than Kinkaid did this year, he's coming off a major season ending injury.

Worst case scenario is Kinkaid looks like he did last year and we're bringing up Appleby at some point (assuming he's good next year in the AHL too) or sheltering Kinkaid, if he reverts back to 2015-2016 levels of play.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Guys like Carter Hutton get 2 year deals and he's 30+ and had one better than mediocre NHL season in his career. Even with all his shutouts this year, he's barely floating above 90%.

Well he was 20-11 his rookie season, from what I remember he kept the team alive after Rinne's injury (albeit with just a .910 save percentage) and had a .918 save percentage last year. But yeah numberswise overall it's a pretty fair comp although being on us and having a 2.81 GAA in back to back years isn't going to help KK either. Guys like Hutton get helped starting in Nashville and not having a terribad GAA. Sadly I think GM's do look at GAA more than they should.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Hall plays like a center though, at least in the fact he'd rather distribute than score.

True, but he doesn't have any center to play with him that augments his abilities. Neither Zajac nor Henrique compliment him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
His NHL career might have basically ended today. Oh he'll play the rest of the season, but I don't know how much of a look he's going to get around the league as a FA with a second straight year of meh stats. The only thing that could save him is if we have to sign him to expose a goalie in the expansion draft, but he could still be sent down to the AHL after.

This is an exaggeration no?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well he was 20-11 his rookie season, from what I remember he kept the team alive after Rinne's injury (albeit with just a .910 save percentage) and had a .918 save percentage last year. But yeah numberswise overall it's a pretty fair comp although being on us and having a 2.81 GAA in back to back years isn't going to help KK either. Guys like Hutton get helped starting in Nashville and not having a terribad GAA. Sadly I think GM's do look at GAA more than they should.
I think this year, Kinkaid is still playing much better than last. He earned the drop of 7 points in save percentage on the season with tonight though. I think any goalie is gonna have a high GAA on this team, since we allow so many shots.

Even if Cory was close to .925 again, there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have a significantly higher GAA than he did last year, since the stupid Hiney Head system(less) junk we've seen this year, where anything under 30 shots is like equated with the best defensive game ever and 35 shots is considered a good defensive effort in these days.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Except if you look at the schedule it made perfect sense to start Kinkaid tonight. 3rd game in 4 days, plus the back end of a back-to-back, plus we play again on Tuesday, then are off until Saturday. If we started Cory tonight and Kinkaid on Tuesday that would be almost a week off for Cory. It's just too bad Kinkaid had one of his bad performances tonight.

I do understand that but I guess I would like are star goalie to be given a chance in a game that could be season breaking. I am just of the opinion to sink or swim with the best players you have got. Fingers crossed that next year we have better players to swim with.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
There's a couple reasons why we probably can't start Cory in back to back's this season, like we did last year.

Because he didn't have to face 40+ shots nearly as many times last year as he has this year, nor even 30+ shots. So it was easier to throw him back in there the next night, with a much lighter workload the night before.

Another thing is that Kinkaid was awful all season long last year. He's never had a game that was nearly as bad as tonight, but he had too many stinkers last year. He's been solid this year, up until tonight, which was the worst outing of his NHL career.

He allowed 6 goals to Pittsburgh last year and maybe a few other times, but he usually wasn't destroyed for multiple bad goals even in those blowout games.

Cory did have to face a ton of shots last night. A lot of sloppy defensive zone structure from the Devils. That needs to be improved next year for sure.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why oh why can't we have a like post option on these forums!!!
I've thought the same thing on here a lot of time. Haha.
This is an exaggeration no?

If he can't recover from this and has a brutal remaining handful of games or whatever he plays for the remainder of the season, he might very well be fighting for a backup job in camp somewhere and on a two way contract.

It's still too early to say for sure, but while this was only his first REALLY bad game of the season, it was so bad, it's like the equivalent of 3 different poor games.

There was a point where he was looking like Cory of last year, only in a backup role, while Cory was looking like the backup or Kinkaid of last year.

In the past two months, Cory has been steadily trending upward, while Kinkaid has been trending downward in the calendar year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I'm sure Cory's getting used to long breaks by now with this dumb schedule over the last month :P

I mean ideally KK starts last night but that wouldn't have been exactly fool-proof either and they probably lose both games with the way they went. I didn't even have a huge problem with him starting tonight but they should have had an early hook at least with the importance of the game and how bad goals #2 and #3 were it was already obvious it wasn't his night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad