GDT: Devils vs Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He certainly has a chance to make a save. But for chrissakes it's been 80 games of this crap. Night in, night out. You can say 'Make a save' to all 8 of the goalies who have played for us - but it's pretty clear imho that this team is just crap in front of them. We can almost call it a good night with only a couple of shorthanded breakaways or complete meltdowns. We could've had just about any goaltender back there to lose 4-3 or 5-3 tonight. Our goaltender's shit pedigree just means we'll let them tack another one or two on.

And guess what - 6million dollar defensemen seldom make stupid ass plays like that, unless they are producing 60-70 pts because they are offensive dynamos. Severson didn't 'get beat' - he took himself out of the play with a stupid decision - just like he did on many other occasions this season.
8 defenseman in the whole NHL have 60 points.

I think you need a calibration on what you think $6 million gets you on defense. Look at his numbers compared to Seth Jones this season and then what Jones is getting paid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
8 defenseman in the whole NHL have 60 points.

I think you need a calibration on what you think $6 million gets you on defense. Look at his numbers compared to Seth Jones this season and then what Jones is getting paid.
Which is only an argument against paying Severson. Teams don’t get in trouble paying stars unless you’re Toronto getting a boner over forwards more acute than anything a pill does for you, but more often teams get in trouble paying decent-mediocre-flawed players

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Have you ever caught a puck by your ear???!?!?... especially if you've been screened? Imagine what kind of glove positition he would've needed to get that. You're out of your mind if you think any goalie gets that other than Hasek headbuttng it - and he's totally screened.
I mean. this is not an easy save, and you almost have to drop your head to get your glove up to your ear:

View attachment 537390
If I don't want a puck to the ear it seems to me like the wisest course of action would be to keep my head up. Headbutting a puck also doesn't strike me as unreasonable given modern equipment.

Why in the world would you have to drop your head for a shot up high unless you're - wait for it - Bon Jovi'ing it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Which is only an argument against paying Severson. Teams don’t get in trouble paying stars unless you’re Toronto getting a boner over forwards more acute than anything a pill does for you, but more often teams get in trouble paying decent-mediocre-flawed players
Paying a guy $6 million who is playing comparably to a guy getting paid $9.5 million is a good value, unless you think the $9.5 million guy is over paid by about double.

Severson is not a mediocre-flawed player. He’s a good player whose been asked to be the best defenseman on some awful teams with some awful systems. If you can sign him to a $6 million a year contract for a reasonable number of years, you do that without pausing.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
To be fair though, this isn’t the night to be arguing the team was crap and the reason for bad goaltending all season when:

A) We’re playing the best team in the East
B) We have no Hughes, Nico or Siegs - aka our top two centers and top D with Hamilton being a ghost post-injury
C) Bad play around goalies still has nothing to do with bad positioning and soft goals on their part

I don’t think anyone would say goaltending killed us here when shit deflects on our own guys. Sometimes you lose. It was a tough game with a depleted, sick roster and our AHL goalies didn’t help.

The guys still on this team were all “go go, score on the rush! Wee!” and hit the cross bar a couple of times. The Holtz, “sick and still burnt” Bratt & “maybe we have something but not sure” Boqvist tried to create and it didn’t work.

And yes, Jarvis totally walked both Bahl & Severson. He’s a very talented kid.

Everyone’s new fav Okhotiuk was on the ice for three GA. Again, it was a tough game.

I don’t care that much, I mostly wanted a Holtz goal and one against Detroit would very nice.

Winning or losing these last games mean literally nothing. I don’t know why people think they do. Typically when we went on a hot streak at the end of a season it was because the goaltending improved, such as in 2019-20 with Blackwood/Zombie Cory plus a white hot PP. (People were giving props to Nasserdine’s coaching of all things, but we rode those two things.)

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
If I don't want a puck to the ear it seems to me like the wisest course of action would be to keep my head up. Headbutting a puck also doesn't strike me as unreasonable given modern equipment.

Why in the world would you have to drop your head for a shot up high unless you're - wait for it - Bon Jovi'ing it?

As someone who played alot of goal, I think I can answer this question.

When you hold your glove hand in a normal catching position, it is natural to be able to swing your hand upwards in an arc to catch a puck that is labled for the top corner and do a Roy statue of liberty type of save. A classic 'glove save and a beaut'.

However one that wizzes besides your ear is tough to get your glove hand to very quickly. If it's a flutteriing puck, you may have seen goalies swing their whole bodies around to try to bat the puck out. On a quick shot, you'll never get your glove hand to your ear in time to catch it, so really your only chance is to hunch your shoulders and bring your hand almost out in front of your body - almost taking the glove from your natural set catching position to push it out straight in front of your shoulders.

Goalies aren't shrugging and ducking to get out of the way (usually) it just looks that way because of how they need to fight that particular shot off.

Oh, and yeah, I've had a slapshot bend my cage into my nose, which hurts. Taking it off of the bean rings your bell pretty good too and can win you a concussion. Granted, I'm playing with bullshit off the shelf Franklin gear or whatever, but....

Bleedred has claimed to play some goalie, so he probably has been in this position before, trying to catch a puck by his ear, so I thought he'd understand this. Next to pad high blocker side, it's pretty nigh unstoppable if it is coming fast.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
To be fair though, this isn’t the night to be arguing the team was crap and the reason for bad goaltending all season when:

A) We’re playing the best team in the East
B) We have no Hughes, Nico or Siegs - aka our top two centers and top D with Hamilton being a ghost post-injury, and we weren’t exactly on Carolina’s level even with all those guys
C) Bad play around goalies still has nothing to do with bad positioning and soft goals on their part

You guys simply don't get the cumulative effects of playing behind complete shitshows game after game.

I guarantee you that if Raanta was our goalie for this season, he'd be at .880 and we'd be talking about him out of position and doing goofy things every night.

Of course Hammond overplays and is guessing out there. He had to stop N glorious chances by guessing previously.

To be sure - he sucks - but to just hear the frigging drone of 'bad goalie bad goalie' is so completely gross. Our team does a wonderful job of converting mediocre and subpar goalies into complete sieves.

I honestly believe that Dawes was not a bad goalie. Young, inexperienced and burned - he had a few really bad goals - but the truth was if he came to 20 other teams in this league he probably ends the season with a .910 SV% and a bunch of wins.

I think Blackwood and Bernier are serviceable too. We'll find out next year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
You guys simply don't get the cumulative effects of playing behind complete shitshows game after game.

I guarantee you that if Raanta was our goalie for this season, he'd be at .880 and we'd be talking about him out of position and doing goofy things every night.

Of course Hammond overplays and is guessing out there. He had to stop N glorious chances by guessing previously.

To be sure - he sucks - but to just hear the frigging drone of 'bad goalie bad goalie' is so completely gross. Our team does a wonderful job of converting mediocre and subpar goalies into complete sieves.

I honestly believe that Dawes was not a bad goalie. Young, inexperienced and burned - he had a few really bad goals - but the truth was if he came to 20 other teams in this league he probably ends the season with a .910 SV% and a bunch of wins.

I learned a long time ago that it's fruitless to try and explain to people who never stood between the pipes, yet think they know goaltending, anything about playing the position. You might as well take a sawed off 2x4 and bash your self over the head. They will argue you into the grave and continually tell you why you don't know what you are talking about. Don't even try. Just shake your head and keep your fingers off the keys.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Paying a guy $6 million who is playing comparably to a guy getting paid $9.5 million is a good value, unless you think the $9.5 million guy is over paid by about double.

Severson is not a mediocre-flawed player. He’s a good player whose been asked to be the best defenseman on some awful teams with some awful systems. If you can sign him to a $6 million a year contract for a reasonable number of years, you do that without pausing.
He is truly a mediocre flawed player who made Kulikov and Ryan Murray look like stable NHL second pair defensemen. Hamilton's shot and goalscoring alone is worth 3m more than Severson. I still hope we can keep him - but he's just a middling defenseman and we could do alot better trading prospects or through free agency.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Daws leads the team in wins. Blackwood can tie him tomorrow night.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He is truly a mediocre flawed player who made Kulikov and Ryan Murray look like stable NHL second pair defensemen. Hamilton's shot and goalscoring alone is worth 3m more than Severson. I still hope we can keep him - but he's just a middling defenseman and we could do alot better trading prospects or through free agency.
For defensens, he’s 25th in the league in points. 16th in goals. Played the 17th most minutes.

He’s playing the most important ES, PP, and PK minutes. He shouldn’t even be on the PK but he’s been a better option then others so his square peg is still jammed into a round hole.

Severson is a 2/3 puck moving, neutral zone defenseman who has been asked to play as a #1 do everything defenseman. It’s insanity to say he’s mediocre; that suggests you barely think he’s an NHL player.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Where the hell was Hammond going on the first goal ? He lost his net and was way off of his angles or ??? I can’t even guess what the hell he was thinking or trying to do there .
I don’t care if we have to trade our entire roster and prospect pool besides the Hughes brothers , Bratt , Nico . Just get a goalie
it's on the coaches. they want fast zone exits. hammond was just leading the charge.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I learned a long time ago that it's fruitless to try and explain to people who never stood between the pipes, yet think they know goaltending, anything about playing the position. You might as well take a sawed off 2x4 and bash your self over the head. They will argue you into the grave and continually tell you why you don't know what you are talking about. Don't even try. Just shake your head and keep your fingers off the keys.
I openly admit to being pretty ignorant in regards to the position.

But why not attempt to explain how ducking your head and tossing your glove up is a solid move?

Sorry I haven't played the position since middle school, but here's how an old man tracks a puck with his eyes instead of instinct:

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly, Severson is the kind of player I think some people won't really appreciate until he's not there and we're asking somebody else (likely not as good) to fill that role. Yes, he makes some boneheaded decisions, but those don't completely negate the positives he brings. Now I will agree that he's not a "re-sign at all costs" type of player. If he wants too much for too long it's probably best to wish him well wherever they'll give him that contract. But if we can get him for like 5 years at 6-6.5 million, I'd do it.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
1651229472013.gif

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Honestly, Severson is the kind of player I think some people won't really appreciate until he's not there and we're asking somebody else (likely not as good) to fill that role. Yes, he makes some boneheaded decisions, but those don't completely negate the positives he brings. Now I will agree that he's not a "re-sign at all costs" type of player. If he wants too much for too long it's probably best to wish him well wherever they'll give him that contract. But if we can get him for like 5 years at 6-6.5 million, I'd do it.
Been saying this for a while. This page and social media view him as very polarizing and occasionally it's deserved but Severson is a top 4 defenseman on almost every team in the league and he should be signed as long as it isn't wildly expensive although I do think he'd do extremely well in free agency because he's still a relatively young RHD.

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

How is anyone still making this claim? No, Raanta wouldn’t be an .880 goalie on this team, what the hell are you talking about? You act as though goaltending isn’t even a skill.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I certainly don't think our system helps goalies, but not every goal they're giving up is some glorious chance that only an elite goalie would stop. They can't make saves on some shots they should be stopping much less these glorious unstoppable chances we supposedly give the other team all game long, game after game.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
How is anyone still making this claim? No, Raanta wouldn’t be an .880 goalie on this team, what the hell are you talking about? You act as though goaltending isn’t even a skill.
Goaltenders numbers do go down on teams with worse defense.

I posted about the implosion of the Columbus defense over the last three years and that has led to their goalies numbers taking a hit.

That said goalies can be bad behind a fantastic team defense. Goalies can be good behind terrible team defense. We’ve had a bunch of non-NHL quality starters and injured starters who played hurt when they probably shouldn’t have.

Detroit has a worse team defense than us. There was an article in Athletic about who should win the Vezina (it was Shayna examining advanced stats and it’s *surprise* Shesterkin).

She had this one list about stolen wins;

B004025A-E2B2-4825-B162-31DE2FEAB721.png

You can see poor Ned there, who does have .901 SV after started in 52 games and playing in 59 behind this:

AA995265-948C-4550-B1EB-56403CB017DD.png

As I said he had .901 SV%. In his 52 starts he did have 28 Quality Starts (.538%) and 10 Really Bad Starts. (Hockey-Reference uses these.) His record was 20-24-9.

Greiss started 28 games (31 GP) has an .891 SV%, 14 QS (.500%) and 7 RBS.

Pickard had 1 start with 3 GP, .875 SV% and 1 QS.

So Detroit got 43 Quality Starts (.531%) and 17 RBS.

I’m not writing out each individual dude for us, I’m done breaking down all their individual performances, but we got: 26 Quality Starts (.321%) and 20 RBS.

And here’s our defense:

B3C2E5E3-DEC3-45FE-B004-767BBCD5E11C.png

Even if you want to argue that the open ice issues shown by the red there made it worse and blah blah blah, Detroit got way better goaltending behind a much worse team defense. That kept them out of the basement when their team defense did everything in it’s power to bury them in it (they have -84 goal differential).

Ruff’s system isn’t particularly kind to goalies (I don’t know if anyone would argue against that statement). There are games where we noticeably don’t play well defensively or dumb shit (like deflections) happen. I don’t think anyone always blames goalies 100% (@Bleedred talks a ton about goalies and had grown to, uh, really dislike several of ours and comically rails against them but that’s his jam).

However our goalies very rarely helped us win at any point (as can be seen with the quality starts) much less steal 5 games. I think a Ned would have helped us more than he helped Detroit, that’s a much tougher team to play behind. (If we were healthy we would have feasted a bit on that defense when they recently played us at home.)

We’re 2-12 in 1 goal games and Detroit is 4-1. That’s not just about “not knowing how to win” or luck, our goalies needed us to score a lot to win.

We were 1-12 for a very long time. The 1st one was 4-3 W @ Buffalo on 12/29 with Blackwood in net. Hammond won 3-2 in Vegas on 4/18 giving us that second one.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Raanta’s worst save percentages on dog meat Arizona teams were .905 and .906. There’s no way he’d be .880 here, we aren’t THAT much different than the Yotes. Plus there’s a reason Raanta is on a much better team while these guys we have are either on their first or last career stop to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad