GDT: Devils vs Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I like Holtz but near massive is a massive stretch.
Holtz is 2nd all-time in G/GP for a 19 year old AHL season. 0.5 G/GP, right under Spezza's 0.512 G/GP in 1983. Historic was a bit much, but this is really, really good.

Reactions: mdj12784

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I love how Zacha is the only reason we had two goals tonight, and how Hammond got completely hung out to dry on like 5 goals, with terribad turnovers behind the net by Smith, Severson (penalty) and at the blueline (severson) yet somehow the narrative again is lazy Zacha and bad goaltending.

Maybe this team just sucks?

This place.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Goals 1, 4 and 6 ALL BAD GOALS.

Just embarrassing. And then ducking on at least one other shot that went wide.

The Zetterlund goal on Raanta was not a good one either, but goaltending made this score look worse than it should have been.

At the same time, we didn't start bringing the score closer until it was already 6-1.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hammond is done with pro hockey after this.

Yes, he's NOT an NHL caliber goalie, but his performance here has looked way too reminiscent of Rask and Price this year, which rumor has it Price might be done and Rask was done.

What do you mean done? Hammond played for us this year, he hasn't seen any pro hockey this year.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If teams actually watch footage of Hammond and see how many times he DUCKS on shots, they might say ''Yeah, no...., Just no''.
I'm glad you mentioned this.

It's infuriated me from day one how Blackwood doesn't track the puck with his eyes, drops his head, and throws his glove or blocker out there as if it's a Bon Jovi track.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm glad you mentioned this.

It's infuriated me from day one how Blackwood doesn't track the puck with his eyes, drops his head, and throws his glove or blocker out there as if it's a Bon Jovi track.
I’m pretty much with you at this point. I don’t have much interest in seeing Blackwood (or any of these other guys) after tomorrow night. I do think there’s a better chance of him bouncing back than Cory and I think he could be a decent NHL goalie still, but I don’t think he’s ever gonna win a Vezina or be particularly great.

I’m sure if he has even an average season somewhere else we’ll hear about it. There’s at least one weirdo here waxing poetic about how Scott Wedgewood is going to the playoffs.

I’m still cringing over Sal the other night telling us if Blackwood can have two good games to end the year it will prevent Tom Fitzgerald from having to go out and acquire a goalie this off-season. That was even beyond cringy for our broadcast.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I know you guys don't like the ducking on goal 4, but here's what Hammond was looking at
1651199389931.png

Reactions: Stubu

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know you guys don't like the ducking on goal 4, but here's what Hammond was looking atView attachment 537381
After slowing this play down multiple times, if he’s getting screened by this then that’s a problem in itself, but these happen to bad goalies like Andrew Hammond who are not NHL caliber.

And when really breaking it down, it looks like he does see this, but ducks his head and throws his glove out and hopes that he catches it.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Here's my "Severson is worth 6M softie of the game". You might've thought I'd go with goal#1 where he falls over and turns the puck over behind the net, but no, it is this gem:
1651199555006.png

1651199599616.png
1651199674295.png
1651199770159.png

Reactions: Stubu and mdj12784

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
After slowing this play down multiple times, if he’s getting screened by this then that’s a problem in itself, but these happen to bad goalies like Andrew Hammond who are not NHL caliber.

And when really breaking it down, it looks like he does see this, but ducks his head and throws his glove out and hopes that he catches it.
Have you ever caught a puck by your ear???!?!?... especially if you've been screened? Imagine what kind of glove positition he would've needed to get that. You're out of your mind if you think any goalie gets that other than Hasek headbuttng it - and he's totally screened.
I mean. this is not an easy save, and you almost have to drop your head to get your glove up to your ear:

1651200077075.png

Reactions: Stubu

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Here's my "Severson is worth 6M softie of the game". You might've thought I'd go with goal#1 where he falls over and turns the puck over behind the net, but no, it is this gem:
View attachment 537383
View attachment 537384View attachment 537386View attachment 537387
Goals rarely occur solely because of the goalie. That doesn't mean goalies shouldn't be held accountable for shitty goals. Sure, Severson got beat. Hammond has the right to make the save after though. This defending of Hammond is odd. He's horrible. No one is saying the defence is perfect by the way, quite the contrary.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Goals rarely occur solely because of the goalie. That doesn't mean goalies shouldn't be held accountable for shitty goals. Sure, Severson got beat. Hammond has the right to make the save after though.
He certainly has a chance to make a save. But for chrissakes it's been 80 games of this crap. Night in, night out. You can say 'Make a save' to all 8 of the goalies who have played for us - but it's pretty clear imho that this team is just crap in front of them. We can almost call it a good night with only a couple of shorthanded breakaways or complete meltdowns. We could've had just about any goaltender back there to lose 4-3 or 5-3 tonight. Our goaltender's shit pedigree just means we'll let them tack another one or two on.

And guess what - 6million dollar defensemen seldom make stupid ass plays like that, unless they are producing 60-70 pts because they are offensive dynamos. Severson didn't 'get beat' - he took himself out of the play with a stupid decision - just like he did on many other occasions this season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair though, this isn’t the night to be arguing the team was crap and the reason for bad goaltending all season when:

A) We’re playing the best team in the East
B) We have no Hughes, Nico or Siegs - aka our top two centers and top D with Hamilton being a ghost post-injury, and we weren’t exactly on Carolina’s level even with all those guys
C) Bad play around goalies still has nothing to do with bad positioning and soft goals on their part

Reactions: Bleedred

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Goals rarely occur solely because of the goalie. That doesn't mean goalies shouldn't be held accountable for shitty goals. Sure, Severson got beat. Hammond has the right to make the save after though. This defending of Hammond is odd. He's horrible. No one is saying the defence is perfect by the way, quite the contrary.
Our coaches have this team running like a well oiled machine🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad