GDT: Devils vs. Caps - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Only issue I have with the goalie pull was that he didn't do it sooner. It was pretty obvious that this was likely going to be a shutout. 6 on 4 would have been their best shot at a goal.

Yup. There was no reason to do it when on the PK given how this team could only muster 15 shots and he had the chance to do it when the team was on the PP for 4 minutes. He waited until the last minute and a half with the team on the ****ing PK to do it.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I highly doubt this, Hynes has made many dumb decisions over the season and playing LJ in OT is an example of this.

True, but the team plays hard and limits pucks to the outside. granted, he does sacrifice offense and plays low event so they don't get killed.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't know whats worse. The people who complain about Hynes and then complained about him pulling the goalie or the people who complain about the team being bad but also complain about the rebuild process.

Logic goes a long way.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
All the complaining about Hynes... don't forget that everyone wanted to run DeBoer out of town too. The man that has coached a team to the cup finals twice.

It's possible that we should put together a roster that's at least equal to the league average in talent level before we assume the coaching is the problem.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
He has very very little hockey experience. He has a ton to learn, and he is only going to learn it by playing.

This...and the rest of the season is just so the young guys can play alot and get more experience. I think Wood will turn into a really good player for us, he just needs more nhl games under his belt. Same can be said with most of the other rookies on our team.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He has very very little hockey experience. He has a ton to learn, and he is only going to learn it by playing.

That's true, but there are times where I question his hockey sense. It's hard to tell right now though because he's just so raw as a player.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
winning or losing games isn't whats important in these last ~20 games

whats important is trying different things. Trying players in different roles, changing things up to see if something clicks, etc.

*****ing about the coach at this point in time is just complaining just to complain.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

whats important is trying different things. Trying players in different roles, changing things up to see if something clicks, etc.

*****ing about the coach at this point in time is just complaining just to complain.

This. People are really surprised we lost to Washington in Washington? Okay then.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
True, but the team plays hard and limits pucks to the outside. granted, he does sacrifice offense and plays low event so they don't get killed.

LJ has been excellent, but we have relied on him too much over his usual work load with PIT and ANA. I still don't know about Hynes though, I'm not quick to fire him but i would give him another season.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

This is true but I don't think we're going to see much clicking with anything. Not sure what else they can extract from this team that they haven't already over the first 63 games. There just isn't much there to work with.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I highly doubt this, Hynes has made many dumb decisions over the season and playing LJ in OT is an example of this.
Among other things. As I said, if you wanna say Hynes has done no negatives and has done nothing to make the team worse, I won't fight you on it.

If you're gonna argue that we'd be worse without him, I will fight to the death on that one. There's no way he's gotten this team to be better than they should be. No way in hell should he be credited for the team having more points than they should otherwise.

We might finish third worst in the league at this rate. Is Hynes the one who deserves credit for us not being as bad as Arizona or Colorado? I mean, really? Really? I would fire him if Sutter becomes available, because you don't give a coach carte blanche to just stick around, just because the roster is lousy. He shouldn't be immune because of it.

But I'd only fire him this offseason if Darryl Sutter is available and ONLY if Darryl Sutter is available.
Blandisi is an interesting case. Looks mediocre in bottom six but looks solid on top six and on PP.

I think he needs more top 6 time.

Wood has been okay for what he is, a 21 year that's not even 2 years removed from high school. I don't think he's a finished product yet. At least I hope not.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is true but I don't think we're going to see much clicking with anything. Not sure what else they can extract from this team that they haven't already over the first 63 games. There just isn't much there to work with.

More so with Zacha hurt since keeping him going is one of the more important things to do in the last 20

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
All the complaining about Hynes... don't forget that everyone wanted to run DeBoer out of town too. The man that has coached a team to the cup finals twice.

It's possible that we should put together a roster that's at least equal to the league average in talent level before we assume the coaching is the problem.

Exactly. I certainly don't think Hynes is a coaching genius or anything, but he's a second year NHL coach on a rebuilding team, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I thought when Shero took over it would probably be at least 2-3 years before we saw progress. If we improve the roster this offseason and show no progress next year, then I think it's time to make a change behind the bench.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LJ has been excellent, but we have relied on him too much over his usual work load with PIT and ANA. I still don't know about Hynes though, I'm not quick to fire him but i would give him another season.

Definitely too early to fire him. Keep him next season (unless Sutter is available) and let him finish next season. If we have another death march like November-December of this year though, can him or at least lame duck him and wait until April to dump him. He shouldn't get an extension though right now, it's too early for that too. And if we finish with fewer points next year than his first year here, the offense does not improve at all and we're still considering games where we get outshot 23-15 as great positives, it's time to tell him his services are no longer needed in April of 2018.

It's not like you need to extend him over a year before his contract ends, like the Rangers did to AV about a month ago. Hynes won't have bidders if he gets to coaching ''Free agency'', like AV would have, Julien, or what we had with Babcock-mania a couple years back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Exactly. I certainly don't think Hynes is a coaching genius or anything, but he's a second year NHL coach on a rebuilding team, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I thought when Shero took over it would probably be at least 2-3 years before we saw progress. If we improve the roster this offseason and show no progress next year, then I think it's time to make a change behind the bench.

Fine

And that's why I said unless one particular guy becomes available, there's no use in firing him before next season or maybe even before the end of next season. If we make no progress next year, Shero should also start to be questioned a bit. Not saying fired, but certainly get a finger or two pointed at him. I'm getting way too far ahead of here with Shero though. He's gotta get the team showing an improvement in goal scoring by next year. No team is in so bad of shape that they can't climb from 30th overall to 25th overall in goal scoring in 3 years.

At the best though, Hynes is just a coach, just a bench boss. No negative, no positve. An absolute wash at best.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Just saw the lights (can't call them highlights, there's nothing high about them).

I see Jon Moore was out of position again. I would be throwing a tantrum at him on the bench. He ****ing blows and never learns

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just saw the lights (can't call them highlights, there's nothing high about them).

I see Jon Moore was out of position again. I would be throwing a tantrum at him on the bench. He ****ing blows and never learns

At the very least, Nasreddine (think he runs the PK) needs to be called into the principal's office for this one.

Why is John Moore used on the PK?

We use a lot of JUNK on our PK. DSP has been a PK mainstay when in the lineup, not sure why.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Exactly what I think will happen.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Auvitu over Moore next game. Just please Hynes. Can we see what we have in him for more than 20 games. There literally is no argument that can be made to trot Moore out over him at this point. Nothing makes sense. We've seen what Moore has. By the eye test, it sucks. Analytically, it sucks. Just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad