GDT: Devils vs. Caps - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I consider last night a win :laugh:

1-0 loss to a team that hasn't lost at home yet this calendar year. Played well positionally against a team that can light you up pretty quick.

If Patty comes back I'll be thrilled!

That and a nickel will get you a subway ride.

It's nice that the team hasn't thrown in the towel but it would be nicer if we had someone who could score a goal.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If Moore never played again for the Devils that'd be a good thing. His offensive skill set does not make up for his complete and total lack of any defensive ability. He's beyond terrible defensively. I don't think we've had a defenseman who is as bad as he is in the last decade.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Moore is basically Gelinas, except his one offensive skill is skating instead of the big shot. They're both dumb as a box of rocks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Moore is basically Gelinas, except his one offensive skill is skating instead of the big shot. They're both dumb as a box of rocks.

The irony is Moore's more of a goalscoring threat these days lol

Gelinas's stats in Colorado have been staggeringly bad. ONE POINT in 33 games :laugh:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That and a nickel will get you a subway ride.

It's nice that the team hasn't thrown in the towel but it would be nicer if we had someone who could score a goal.

Can't ask for too much from this team against the best team in the league. Just look at the majority of the posts on the first 2 pages, everyone was expecting a blowout and trashing every forward line outside of the top one. Can only hope for so much at this point other than improvement from the younger guys. Some would say that is "accepting a losing culture" but it's more just being realistic of the current situation.

The gameplan last night was very clearly "do everything to not get housed". The shots were 12-8 Capitals almost at the end of the 2nd. :laugh: They did what they wanted to accomplish. One too many costly penalties was our downfall.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Can't ask for too much from this team against the best team in the league. Just look at the majority of the posts on the first 2 pages, everyone was expecting a blowout and trashing every forward line outside of the top one. Can only hope for so much at this point other than improvement from the younger guys. Some would say that is "accepting a losing culture" but it's more just being realistic of the current situation.

The gameplan last night was very clearly "do everything to not get housed". The shots were 12-8 Capitals almost at the end of the 2nd. :laugh: They did what they wanted to accomplish. One too many costly penalties was our downfall.

I get it, it's just grating having to watch this hunker down mentality style of hockey. It's sad that we have to play like an expansion team to try and win games.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I get it, it's just grating having to watch this hunker down mentality style of hockey. It's sad that we have to play like an expansion team to try and win games.

It's not fun as a fan, especially that pathetic soft-sagging shell formation on the pk along with the lack of quality scoring chances.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I didn't get why they weren't playing like this when they were still in the race, and I don't get why they're bothering to play like this now that they're not.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even though he wasn't very good against Montreal and he's let in a few bad goals lately, just going through Cory's gamelog and he's only had 4 games of less than .900 goaltending since the new calendar year. He was yanked in 2 of them.

Only on January 6th against Toronto (DNF game), January 24th against LA (DNF game), February 3rd against Calgary and February 27th against Montreal.

So while he was pretty poor up to that point, he's mostly been good since then. A few bad goals lately and since then, especially all 3 in January 31st game against Detroit, where all 3 goals were stoppable and we won 4-3. Maybe he wasn't playing QUITE as bad in November and December as he looked on paper and this is just the percentages evening out. Although I do think he was poor for the second half of November and most of December.

He's improved quite a bit since January 2nd.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008

Idk, that's what our talent level dictates. But agreed with NJDevs26. Too little, too late.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I didn't get why they weren't playing like this when they were still in the race, and I don't get why they're bothering to play like this now that they're not.

Well, the alternative is to try to play more run and gun, which typically ends with us giving up 4 goals.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Even though he wasn't very good against Montreal and he's let in a few bad goals lately, just going through Cory's gamelog and he's only had 4 games of less than .900 goaltending since the new calendar year. He was yanked in 2 of them.

Only on January 6th against Toronto (DNF game), January 24th against LA (DNF game), February 3rd against Calgary and February 27th against Montreal.

So while he was pretty poor up to that point, he's mostly been good since then. A few bad goals lately and since then, especially all 3 in January 31st game against Detroit, where all 3 goals were stoppable and we won 4-3. Maybe he wasn't playing QUITE as bad in November and December as he looked on paper and this is just the percentages evening out. Although I do think he was poor for the second half of November and most of December.

He's improved quite a bit since January 2nd.

meh. Just silly numbers that means he's given up more rebounds that turned into shots and saves.

.900+ means nothing to me when he is letting in back-crushing, heart-rending and stoppable goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
meh. Just silly numbers that means he's given up more rebounds that turned into shots and saves.

.900+ means nothing to me when he is letting in back-crushing, heart-rending and stoppable goals.

I don't agree with you on the rebounds. When he's given up bad rebounds lately, they've turned into goals at least half the time and not extra saves. In some buildings, like ours particularly, they don't even count 2 shots for a shot that turns into another shot or two more shots on rebounds.

He's let in some bad goals recently, just not at quite the rate that he did in the 2016 part of this season.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How did Rooney look last night? From the first period highlight package he seemed to make some deft plays.

He just looks like a smart hockey player with nothing fancy to his game. Supports the play well, is a surprisingly quick player, and is strong on the walls.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a Fiddler-like role playing fourth line minutes and some PK time while bringing a consistent, reliable game defensively. From watching him at times in Albany, he seems like he always makes the right play.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People's complete lack of understanding about the goalie position is astounding.

Generally it seems people just have axes to grind.

He's given up some bad rebounds, like in that Islanders game, but that game tying goal rebound against Montreal wasn't really a bad rebound.

I thought it dribbled through him before seeing the replay, so I dinged him on that originally. It did dribble through him after hitting Lovejoy or the Habs guy that was on him like elastic. So I don't think it was a bad goal.

Cory has been pretty good lately, with the exception of like 3 games since the new year.

Kinkaid at Barclays Center was the worst goaltended game I've seen from a Devils player since Hedberg in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad